Xeon X5680s Now $45... October 2018

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Xeon X5680s Now Under $200

Post by HCMarkus »

I'm thinking that the reseating of the CPUs (resulting from R&R by your repair shop) may have solved your troubles… I don't believe this is a problem with the CPU upgrade; if it was, your issues would be reverberating across the web.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

kgdrum wrote:I don't know if this will help but a basic setting I always go with is set sleep to NEVER.
Sleep seems to introduce problems from my experience,I'm curious if you turn off sleep if the problem goes away...........
I always have sleep set to never, it unfortunately it has nothing to do with my problem. But keep the advice coming because if anybody comes up with any answers I'll be thrilled
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

toodamnhip wrote:I have to unfortunately let you all know of a potential problem with replacing one’s processor chips.
I updated mine from an 8 core, 2.61, to a 12 core 3.33.

All seemed well for about 3+ months and then I started having trouble starting the computer.
You know, man... I don't mean to laugh... because I take no delight in the problems you're having. In fact, I think I might have talked you into doing this at NAMM didn't I? Anyway... it just seems that if a problem is going to surface, you're the poor, unlucky guy that it happens to.

I've been getting along swimmingly with my hexcore upgrade to my 4,1 with nary a problem. The only thing that I have encountered is that when I first start up, the fan seems to turn faster (about 2,000 rpm) and then in a few minutes it settles into the usual 800rpm. Other than that, it's been fantastic. Sorry to hear you're having issues.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:I'm thinking that the reseating of the CPUs (resulting from R&R by your repair shop) may have solved your troubles… I don't believe this is a problem with the CPU upgrade; if it was, your issues would be reverberating across the web.
Right... because it's not just DP users doing this upgrade but there are people from the entire pool of MacPro users doing this mod. It would definitely be all over the place by now and at the real techy, geeky boards to boot.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

James Steele wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:I'm thinking that the reseating of the CPUs (resulting from R&R by your repair shop) may have solved your troubles… I don't believe this is a problem with the CPU upgrade; if it was, your issues would be reverberating across the web.
Right... because it's not just DP users doing this upgrade but there are people from the entire pool of MacPro users doing this mod. It would definitely be all over the place by now and at the real techy, geeky boards to boot.
I hear you guys and hope I stay the only one with problems. Well, the good thing is, I’ve been getting a hell of a lot of production done in a variety of genres. I have been working almost 24-7 at times so my computer gets a work out. Not sure if that makes my particular computers more problematic. The only reason I even went to the repair facility is because I have artists flying in mid month and can’t tell them to “come back tomorrow”...so I took the comp in now because this is my last time window. But it was working,....just needed 11 start attempts to start, (or leave it on 24-7).
I will try to shut down tonight and see what happens but my guess is the issue will continue because the re-seated 12 core worked once at the repair shop and then stopped again. So my guess is that is what it will do. Maybe it will even be “somewhat" better and start after 2-3 times instead of 11, which is how it was last week. Or, it will get worse and just not start.....who knows.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Stupid question, because my understanding is it wouldn't even work if you didn't, but you did install the special firmware hack that's needed for those machines to use the hexcore chips, right? I know... dumb... you must have. Grasping at straws here. Wish I could figure this out. Thing is, if it was a problem with the processor itself, you'd think the Mac just plain wouldn't run at all. It wouldn't just be a start up issue. You couldn't go for as long as you do with no issues whatsoever.

Again... sorry to hear you're having issues. I put in the one hexcore chip in mine and it's been the best $200 I ever spent.

Here's one possibility... from what I've heard the chips have gone down even more in price. If the place you bought them from will take them back, it might be worth to see if you can score another pair from somewhere else (preferably that will take them back as well), wait for them to arrive (you're worried about downtime), and then swap those hexcores for the ones giving you problems. If it seems to be working fine, then return the others. But then again, you said you got along fine for 3+ months before things went bad.

The way it looks, since you started these projects that require the power of the 12-core instead of 8, the only way out of the dilemma is either the cheap way (trying another pair of processors) or moderately expensive way (find a legit 2013 MacPro 12-core used), or the REALLY expensive way (get a new trashcan MacPro), but then you may have compatibility problems with all your peripherals, interfaces, etc.

toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

James Steele wrote:Stupid question, because my understanding is it wouldn't even work if you didn't, but you did install the special firmware hack that's needed for those machines to use the hexcore chips, right? I know... dumb... you must have. Grasping at straws here. Wish I could figure this out. Thing is, if it was a problem with the processor itself, you'd think the Mac just plain wouldn't run at all. It wouldn't just be a start up issue. You couldn't go for as long as you do with no issues whatsoever.

Again... sorry to hear you're having issues. I put in the one hexcore chip in mine and it's been the best $200 I ever spent.

Here's one possibility... from what I've heard the chips have gone down even more in price. If the place you bought them from will take them back, it might be worth to see if you can score another pair from somewhere else (preferably that will take them back as well), wait for them to arrive (you're worried about downtime), and then swap those hexcores for the ones giving you problems. If it seems to be working fine, then return the others. But then again, you said you got along fine for 3+ months before things went bad.

The way it looks, since you started these projects that require the power of the 12-core instead of 8, the only way out of the dilemma is either the cheap way (trying another pair of processors) or moderately expensive way (find a legit 2013 MacPro 12-core used), or the REALLY expensive way (get a new trashcan MacPro), but then you may have compatibility problems with all your peripherals, interfaces, etc.
My mid 2010 Mac was one of the one’s that required NO firmware. At least, that was my understanding. By the way, I am not at all sorry I did this even though this is happening. I love the added speed and when the techs put my machine back together, I told them to put the 12 cores in.
I am too busy to get into the trash can game...lol. I haven;t even a clue as to what peripherals I will have to replace, what drives to buy, etc...No, I’m staying 12 core until GEN 2 of the trash cans.
That has been my target, GEN 2.

I appreciate you’re thinking out loud with me here..I am not trying to yell fire in this theater, I think it was a greaaat investment...I have been doing large orchestras at 128 buffers almost lasting at that rate till bounce to audio and all MIDI done. That has been my goal, I hate bouncing early. So anyone reading this, just realize this is technical science and statistically, things happen to the best of solutions. If you’re thinking of upgrading, do it!
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

toodamnhip wrote:My mid 2010 Mac was one of the one’s that required NO firmware. At least, that was my understanding.{/quote]

Well, I hope you're right about that. I have a 2009 4,1 Nehalem quadcore that's now a 5,1 hex. In my case, it definitely had to have the firmware hack else it simply wouldn't recognize the hex chip. In your case, it wouldn't even run I imagine. Yours must already be a 5,1 I assume? HC Markus might know better.
No, I’m staying 12 core until GEN 2 of the trash cans.
That has been my target, GEN 2.

I appreciate you’re thinking out loud with me here..I am not trying to yell fire in this theater, I think it was a greaaat investment...I have been doing large orchestras at 128 buffers almost lasting at that rate till bounce to audio and all MIDI done.
I can understand you needing more power with they way you work and the orchestral works. I'm doing rock songs which aren't nearly as demanding on the computer. Honestly, considering the investment I have in PCIe-424 interfaces (which will not work with the nMP) as well as a UAD-2 DUO card, I don't see a trashcan MacPro in my future for a loooong time. Actually, if I start pushing the limits of this machine, I'd buy a used 4,1 or 5,1 8 core, convert it to a 12 core, and ride that for a while until I was FORCED into updating.

I still have misgivings about Apple abandoning the tower design and slots in favor of connecting everything via Thunderbolt. It doesn't seem like the PC makers have gone that direction. I still would like to hope that Apple might give us some sort of tower with slots, but I know that's probably a pipe dream.

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Try removing some or all USB devices… could be too much USB power being drawn at at startup.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

That resetting the CPU caused it to work again leads me to suspect that the it could be a seating problem with the chip or heat sink.

I fixed a lot of G3, G4 and G5 (what a pain!) by replacing the original wax pads with a better compound. All exhibited identical symptoms before hand and were still working when taken out of commission and retired.

It's quite possible that reseating it fixed the condition. You need to pay attention, of course. If it starts acting up again, you might want to go to the link below and follow the Arctic Silver heat sink instructions exactly. If it behaves, leave it alone.

Here it is again.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_appli ... ethod.html#
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

HCMarkus wrote:Try removing some or all USB devices… could be too much USB power being drawn at at startup.
I’ve tried that. It once appeared to “work”, but then didn’t help. By the way, comp started on one try this morning. But last night, after shutting down, it would;t start (tried only once and went to bed). I’ll be calling chip co. today to see if they will send me a new one or credit. If they credit, I will do what James said and buy a new one before sending back old one.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

mikehalloran wrote:That resetting the CPU caused it to work again leads me to suspect that the it could be a seating problem with the chip or heat sink.

I fixed a lot of G3, G4 and G5 (what a pain!) by replacing the original wax pads with a better compound. All exhibited identical symptoms before hand and were still working when taken out of commission and retired.

It's quite possible that reseating it fixed the condition. You need to pay attention, of course. If it starts acting up again, you might want to go to the link below and follow the Arctic Silver heat sink instructions exactly. If it behaves, leave it alone.

Here it is again.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_appli ... ethod.html#
Yeah man, I did use those directions when I 1st installed. Basically, a thin, single bead of arctic silver right down the middle along the path where the heat develops. And not too much either. That’s what the instructions said. Now...how much did the techs at Melrose Mac use? I have no idea.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Interesting article on heat sink compounds:

http://www.maximumpc.com/geek-tested-17 ... ff/#page-1
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

mikehalloran wrote:Interesting article on heat sink compounds:

http://www.maximumpc.com/geek-tested-17 ... ff/#page-1
I have never seen the temperature get anywhere near hot on the temp monitoring utility I have. Also, the problem is starting the computer. So this is not a temperature issue. The article is a good read but most likely has little to do with my problem, and I doubt anyone really needs that article unless they work for NASA....lol..

ON A GOOD NOTE, the company I got the chips from (AVENTIS), is completely fine with returning the chip.
They are going to run the technical specs by their tech guy before I get sent another chip. I asked them to do this and this is to ensure some small variance in model isn;t making the chip I had incompatible. Once they speak to their tech guy, and I am sure I have the most compatible chips, I give them a credit card to pay for the new chips they send them out. Once I get the new chip, I swap out and send BACk the old chip, they refund my money. So it’s gonna be cool.

Not looking forward to pulling out all my instructions on arctic silver and grounding the circuit board etc..bit of a nerve wracking task..but I am sure I’ll do fine again and hopefully have no more start up issues.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

I also bought my 6 core chip from Aventis they seem like straight shooters,when I had a question they answered immediately.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........