Xeon X5680s Now $45... October 2018

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

BobK
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Xeon X5680s Now Under $80

Post by BobK »

Hope it's OK to go a little OT: Do any of you processor-upgrading ninjas happen to have a full version of the Sierra installer (Install Mac OS Sierra.app) you'd be willing to share? If so, please PM me.

I forgot to save the installer when I installed Sierra on my MacBook Pro, and I'd like to install it on my 2009 Mac Pro 4.1 > 5.1 (as well as have it around for safekeeping). It's not listed in "Purchased" apps in my Mac App Store app, even though all other versions back to Lion are there. I tried installing via Recovery mode several times yesterday and today, but each time I got the message "This item is temporarily unavailable. Try again later."

I contacted Apple FIVE times today - three web chats and two phone calls, and got nowhere. The last person I spoke with - a "Senior Advisor" - said she thought it might be available at some point in the future, but she wasn't sure.

Thanks!
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Hi Bob... I can't assist here beyond offering this:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/si ... e.2072140/

Looks like you may have already been there...

I will be cloning my Sierra startup drive tomorrow!
BobK

Post by BobK »

HCMarkus wrote:Looks like you may have already been there...
Yep.

I downloaded an installer from here, but am afraid to try it:

https://www.hackintosh.computer/554/download-sierra/

===========

Also, this is weird: Yesterday, on the "Updates" page of the Mac App Store app on my Mac Pro 4,1>5,1, it said there was an El Capitan update, version 10.11.6, released Sep 25, 2017.

When I clicked on "Download", an error window popped up that said "We could not complete your purchase. This version of OS X 10.11 cannot be installed on this computer."

Then I searched around the web and didn't see any news about a new El Capitan update.

Anybody else had this happen?
Bob

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

It seems like something might have changed with availability of previous OS from Apple.
I downloaded and installed Sierra on my Macbook Pro last month on the premise that it would show as "purchased" in my Apple account so I could install at a later date on my Mac Pro( I want to install a new SSD).
After installing Sierra It didn't show up as "purchased" in my account after installing on my Macbook Pro.
I wonder if Apple has changed this policy,quietly.........
Other OS were listed in my Apple account but not Sierra
fwiw I'm looking on my MBP I can't find the installer

@ Bob K it's a pain in the ass but I think if you go into an Apple Store(with a thumb drive) and explain this to someone at the Genius Bar, they will have access to any OS.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
BobK

Post by BobK »

kgdrum wrote:It seems like something might have changed with availability of previous OS from Apple.
I downloaded and installed Sierra on my Macbook Pro last month on the premise that it would show as "purchased" in my Apple account so I could install at a later date on my Mac Pro( I want to install a new SSD).
After installing Sierra It didn't show up as "purchased" in my account after installing on my Macbook Pro.
I wonder if Apple has changed this policy,quietly.........
Other OS were listed in my Apple account but not Sierra
fwiw I'm looking on my MBP I can't find the installer

@ Bob K it's a pain in the ass but I think if you go into an Apple Store(with a thumb drive) and explain this to someone at the Genius Bar, they will have access to any OS.
Someone at the MacRumors forums posted a link to the following page, which explains that from Sierra on, macOS does not appear in the Purchased list:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201272

None of the five people at Apple that I chatted or spoke with today knew about this. And it doesn’t make sense, because you can’t find Sierra by doing a search as the article recommends - only High Sierra now.
Bob

DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
BobK

Post by BobK »

kgdrum wrote:@ Bob K it's a pain in the ass but I think if you go into an Apple Store(with a thumb drive) and explain this to someone at the Genius Bar, they will have access to any OS.
One of the Apple people I spoke with suggested trying that - emphasis on 'try'. I suspect it’s purely a matter whether I'm lucky enough to get a helpful person...
Bob

DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Judging from MacRumors, looks like you found the 12.6 Combo Update Bob.
I expect you to post the link here immediately, or I shall plagiarize. :D
BobK

Post by BobK »

HCMarkus wrote:Judging from MacRumors, looks like you found the 12.6 Combo Update Bob.
I expect you to post the link here immediately, or I shall plagiarize. :D
I didn't post the link because update installers require a previous version already be installed (12.5 or earlier). I need the full installer.

But here it is just in case anyone needs it: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1931?locale=en_US

BTW, Apple has a direct download page for El Capitan, but not for Sierra:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886
Bob

DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well I'm beside myself. I'm just ready to give up. I received another 5680 chip today. Delidded it and cleaned the solder off, and exchanged it for the one I thought was bad. Slid the CPU tray on and the little power light doesn't even stay lit. Goes out immediately. I tried holding the button down and then a red LED light came on inside the Mac and it just froze.

I don't even know how I could test these CPUs since my hexcore Mac takes lidded and these are de-lidded and don't think I can just swap them out. I'm about ready to just put my original quad core chips back in there just hoping I can back to where I was when I started.

I don't know what went wrong. Might have been using some guy's method to wet sand the solder off the top of the processors that wrecked them. I have no freakin' idea. I'm going to try and see if I can Google and find some answers, but I'm at the point where I'm just over it now and want to try and see if I can just get back to where I was. Maybe I need to buy de-lidded processors. Maybe the vise method was the problem. No way of knowing anything... but I feel like I just pissed away about $220.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well I'm relieved that I put the original quadcore chips back in and it booted right up. I did it first with the original RAM, to be safe, then used the newer RAM I bought recently and it also worked.

I used the vise method for removing the heat spreader. I don't know if that was my problem. I also removed the solder by first scraping with plastic putty knife and then taping off and wet sanding as shown in this video where I cued it up:

https://youtu.be/aPhDfUkll-o?t=16m40s

Anyway, I was also worried that I messed up on of the little contacts in the CPU socket but I guess not because it booted fine with the original quad chips in it.

Thus far, I now have 3 5680 CPUs. I have no idea which are working and which aren't. Because I delidded before testing, I have no idea if one was a dud or not when I received it. I looked on eBay and the guy who tests and de-lids the processors wants $300 AFTER you supply the processors. I'm semi loathe to try that.

I guess I'm going to go back to my hexcore in the studio and my 8-core as the office machine until I work up the guts to have another go at this, because I'm pretty damned spooked now on the whole thing.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Note to self: Test CPUs before de-lidding in my single CPU machine next time. I really don't know how to figure out which one(s) are bad. When I put the first two in the machine the light came on but it just didn't boot. It just stayed there with the light on. When I replaced what I thought was the bad CPU (because I had sanded some of the board around it), it was worse with the power light coming on for a split second and then turning off immediately.

Anyway, I'm at a loss here. I don't know what else to try. I know when you remove the lid, on the little card that the CPU sits on there's a U-shaped line of rubber-type material on the board and I just left that. I can't imagine it would have any effect. I also put back on the small black rings that go over the CPU cards. Oh well... maybe when at some point when I have some extra money I'll try this again. Don't know what went wrong.

kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Hi James,
I'm sorry to hear about your problems with this......
This might be a dumb question but have you tried booting with 1 chip(I don't know if the MP will boot with only 1 chip) but it might be worth a try just in case to see if 1 chip is still good......
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

kgdrum wrote:Hi James,
I'm sorry to hear about your problems with this......
This might be a dumb question but have you tried booting with 1 chip(I don't know if the MP will boot with only 1 chip) but it might be worth a try just in case to see if 1 chip is still good......
Thanks for the suggestion! I did try that, as I was doing some reading and found that was possible. Before I tried it, I removed the quad CPU from CPU B slot and took off heat sink and my Mac booted as a quad machine no problem. So I then tried each hexcore CPU one at a time with mixed results:

CPU 1: power light on front of Mac came on and instantly went off
CPU 2: Mac powered on and did nothing and red LED lit up on CPU tray next to CPU A heat sink. I'm assuming that indicates bad CPU
CPU 3: Powers up but then just does nothing. No boot at all.

I don't know what are the odds I've wrecked every hex chip, but I may have. I've read that the vise method, although easy, isn't necessarily good to do to soldered CPUs. I may have also messed it up by not being super careful with the CPU board itself when I sanded the surface of the die to remove all solder.

What would help me big time would be to have a de-lidded hexcore chip I absolutely KNEW was good, and then try to put that by itself in CPU A, and see if it will boot. As of now, none of the hex chips I delidded myself work and I have no way of knowing if they were good or bad before I delidded them.

I could try to take the lidded hexcore CPU in my 4,1 quad I converted into a 5,1 hexcore and test it in the dual cpu machine, but I'd have to worry about tightening down the heatsink too much and messing up the socket.

Right now I'm just glad to have my 4,1>5,1 eight-core back. I can at least use the new RAM i bought for it when I thought it was going to be a 12-core until I get brave enough to try again. I looked online a kits that included de-lidded CPUs, but they were just ridiculously priced. I suppose I'll try again at some point and use the iron method and then not be so uptight about sanding off the solder to a mirror finish. I'm concerned that somewhere in that process I may have messed up the CPUs.

And as I pointed out, I may have even been shipped one or two bad ones. When I wrote the seller privately asking about whether I may have ruined the one processor by sanding part of the edge of the card the CPU sits on, he said he wasn't "very technical" and he just buys the processors and resells them. So the whole "tested" claim to me is highly suspicious. I think one other person got a bad CPU from this seller, but since I didn't test till after I de-lidded, I doubt I can get a refund. I will write him though and see if perhaps he will do something since 3 out of 3 CPUs I de-lidded don't work and you'd think I couldn't have wrecked ALL of them, but who knows.

BobK

Post by BobK »

James Steele wrote:I could try to take the lidded hexcore CPU in my 4,1 quad I converted into a 5,1 hexcore and test it in the dual cpu machine, but I'd have to worry about tightening down the heatsink too much and messing up the socket.
I got a red LED more than once. Once it was because of a defective CPU; the other times, it was because the heat sink bolts weren't tight enough.

I just checked my notes, and in one case, tightening the bolts an additional 1/8 turn was enough to fix that. (BTW, if I recall correctly, the LEDs between the heat sinks are for RAM issues.)

Not to beat a dead horse, but the guy who runs DN computing, which sells de-lidded CPUs, said in a thread at MacRumors that it's impossible to tighten the bolts too much unless you have superhuman strength. Just make sure you do it in the order Apple recommends, and just 1/4 to 1/2 turn at a time.

I certainly tightened mine more than I expected to, but I realize that's subjective to the point of meaningless without a torque wrench reading.

(Yes, the guy at Anandtech somehow bent some pins in one of the sockets. I'm not sure what DN Computing would say about that.)

When I got the replacement processor (one of my first batch was defective), I tested it before de-lidding by installing in CPU slot A. With only one processor, my 2009 Mac Pro's fans went full blast, and a red LED went on, but it started up, and the new processor and 4 RAM sticks appeared in System Info. (There are 4 RAM slots per processor, so even if you have 8 sticks installed, only 4 will appear when there's only one CPU.)

I figured that the main risk of installing a lidded processor is overheating, because the thermal pad at the bottom of the heat sink won't fully contact the logic board; but I also figured that if you just start it up just long enough to check System Info, that shouldn't be a problem.

Also, in the 2009 MP, without a clip to secure the CPU, MAYBE it could slide around a bit if the bolts were tightened unevenly and/or too quickly, but there's very little (if any) wiggle room in the CPU socket.
Bob

DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4