Xeon X5680s Now $45... October 2018

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Xeon X5680s Now Under $200

Post by James Steele »

Okay... ran into one issue after installing the 5,1 firmware on my 4,1. It seems the fan designated as "PCI" according to smcFanControl 2.5.2 runs constantly at 800rpm. It won't go slower... at least I haven't found a way yet. I'm actually downgrading the firmware back to 4,1 to see if the fan speed will go back down to normal levels. I can tell it's not right because my MacPro had a low frequency sort of "hum" and I'm pretty sure it's a result of the fan stuck at 800rpm. It's enough to annoy me a little. I may try and make sure the Mac chassis isn't making contact with my desk, etc. in case it's helping amplify it, but it different enough from what I'm used to to annoy me. :(

My first attempts with smc Fan Control to try and force that fan back down to a slower speed are unsuccessful. The slider control for the "PCI" fan is set to 500 but the PCI fan is happily at 798-800 and refuses to go lower.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Went back to 4,1 firmware. The "PCI" fan will not go lower than 800rpm now. I tried the reset by unconnecting the power cord for 15 seconds and restarting. It's not THAT bad, but there's a mild low-freq hum... very slight, but this is new. The new normal I guess. Ugh. :(

UPDATE: My 4,1 is definitely "audible" now in the room. I'm pretty sure it was nearly silent before this. I can't get it back to how it was. Well at least it will be faster? Anybody have this happen to them? Time to search the forums.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Okay... I'm confused now. I see that sites say the ATI5770 fan is supposed to run at 800. Oh well... it's not terrible. Maybe I'll open it up and see what's going on there. Might want to do a new graphics card anyway. The 5770s are supposed to be dicey anyway. Any recommendations? What is a quiet one?

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

(unless I can get my hands on a 10.6.4 DVD which is rare?)
This is the default DVD that Apple now sends if your Mac is within a certain age range. I found that out a couple of years ago when I had some issue that I no longer remember and I couldn't find my system restore disk. Apple sent it to me no charge.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

This just gets weirder and weirder however. I need to open things up and take a look. It seems it's an odd resonance with the MacPro case itself perhaps? I noticed that I can take my hand and push down on the top of the case slightly and the sound goes away... or at least the lower frequency type sound. Maybe it's drive vibration from one of the spinning hard drives. Very strange.

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Maybe redistribute drive sleds inside the Mac. Or put a weight on top of a mouse pad on top of your MP…?
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:Maybe redistribute drive sleds inside the Mac. Or put a weight on top of a mouse pad on top of your MP…?
Yep... I used my DP 8 manual so far! LOL But I think I may move the sleds around. I also do have a weight I could use that might help. I don't care HOW I minimize the hum so long as I do. Probably like most of us here, I'm very sensitive to audio stimuli and a small sound like that bugs me. I'm the one who's telling friends when their cell phone is vibrating in their backpack, etc and they don't hear it. It's not because their hearing is worse, but probably, like many people, they just often are more "focused" and don't pick on sounds that "shouldn't be there" as quickly as I do.

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I have few old DP manuals lying around if you need more…

You could probably collect enough to weigh down a 747 from this group! :lol:
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Hahaha... I'm fine. I recycled all my old ones. :)

Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Man! Geekbench is making me think about this even more. Watched a video of a guy taking the lid off of a CPU and honestly it doesn't seem to be that hard, you just have to be careful. I think I'm going to go for it. Geek bench lists the last Mac Pro tower at 3ghz 12 core being right below the latest greatest Mac Pro black waste bin model. This mod could ostensibly bring mine to between the two! :shock: http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

Thing is they are used, so I'm definitely not selling the 2.66 ones I have in it now.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Michael Canavan wrote:Man! Geekbench is making me think about this even more. Watched a video of a guy taking the lid off of a CPU and honestly it doesn't seem to be that hard, you just have to be careful. I think I'm going to go for it. Geek bench lists the last Mac Pro tower at 3ghz 12 core being right below the latest greatest Mac Pro black waste bin model. This mod could ostensibly bring mine to between the two! :shock: http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

Thing is they are used, so I'm definitely not selling the 2.66 ones I have in it now.
You are absolutely correct about the relative power… you can get very close to the top current MP by swapping your current CPUs with x5680s or 90s. There is a guy doing CPU lid removal for $200/pair, but many others have successfully modded their 4,1 dual CPU Mac Pros with unmoved CPUs by adding a thicker thermal pad and simply not over tightening the CPU. Others have used washers to set the heatsink a little higher.

Here's the de-lidding guy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Mac-Pro-Du ... 27f28be6e2
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

HCMarkus wrote: You are absolutely correct about the relative power… you can get very close to the top current MP by swapping your current CPUs with x5680s or 90s. There is a guy doing CPU lid removal for $200/pair, but many others have successfully modded their 4,1 dual CPU Mac Pros with unmoved CPUs by adding a thicker thermal pad and simply not over tightening the CPU. Others have used washers to set the heatsink a little higher.

Here's the de-lidding guy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Mac-Pro-Du ... 27f28be6e2

I may just get brave and do this, because it's a challenge and I'm overtly optimistic at times. :D
Apparently the big setback is that the Xeons have soldered on lids, some german guy posted this video! :shock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdPuneT30_o

At $400 it's worth it to me to buy these two chips plus a soldered on chip or two for $15-$25 to test this method on. I don't think I would be comfortable not replicating what Apple would do with the chips, IE leaving the caps on etc. and $600 puts it at a range where I'm starting to wince a bit.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

In a new winkle to my story, the eBay seller that I bought one of these chips from for $179, after first telling me there was an initial delay and he'd be able to ship it yesterday, sends me a message on eBay this morning that the chips are "stuck in customs" and he is sorry and cancelled my order! Fortunately there are some left at the link earlier, just took my credit and coughed up another $20.99 and bought from that source. The previous one wasted a WEEK of my time as I placed my order a week ago. Was hoping to have a "hexcore" for Christmas! I got grinched!! LOL

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

You better not pout…!

Let me know when it arrives.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:You better not pout…!

Let me know when it arrives.
Hahaha! I was a little perturbed when I read that in my inbox this morning! Turns out the seller actually didn't HAVE them in their possession when they offered them for sale. Should be up to the buyer if we want to wait or not and not have the sale cancelled without asking. Be interesting to see if their supply does come in, what they'll be selling for. I'm just glad I got one at $199. :)