Silent sound setting?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

mjmoody
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Silent sound setting?

Post by mjmoody »

I have a MacBook Pro at home, and I was recently allowed to get one for school. I noticed with my new school Mac when I entered notes with Finale I wouldn't "hear" them. When I would playback anything I had written I would hear everything fine, but when I would enter the notes there was no sound. I thought this was something with my Finale settings - but then I tried using Digital Performer. Sure enough, if I tried to enter notes with the pencil tool, or drag notes around, I couldn't hear anything. DP plays back everything fine - but I can't hear anything when entering notes (with the pencil tool) or dragging them around.

So, I'm thinking this is some setting on the computer, but I can't find what it is. It is actually kind of intriguing. I kind of like the setting - it presents a situation where you're composing "away from the piano". I think there are lots of tricks a composer can use when not "inhibited" by what he hears - and this provides a way of entering notes without hearing them - however, I would like to be able to have the option of hearing my notes when entering or moving them. Does anyone know what this setting is??

Thanks! John
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15 inch, Early 2013)
2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Digital Performer 8.05
UltraLite (2007)
Komplete 7, Omnisphere, IvoryII, and other VIs