How does one repair permissions?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Jeroleen
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

How does one repair permissions?

Post by Jeroleen »

I have been getting a bunch of freezes and crashes lately. I am using a Dual 2.0 G5 with 10.3.6 and DP 4.5. Everything is the latest and "greatest".

I seem to get a lot of problems when using Kontakt as a plug-in. I am generally able to control the problems by simply slowing down when I change from one mode to another. For instance, if I load Kontakt and immediately attempt to load an instrument DP will sometimes freeze.

The problem however is that I am getting alot of freezes and crashes even without the use of Kontakt.

I figure I should start with repairing permissions 'cept I don't know how that is done
sdfalk
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How does one repair permissions?

Post by sdfalk »

Go into your utilities folder, open Disk utility, select your boot drive and you should see the option to repair permissions.
Click it and you're on your way.
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
Jeroleen

Post by Jeroleen »

Thanks sdfalk. I figured it was simple but it is always best to check a bit first. By the way, is this something that can correct an abubdance of crashes. I realize it is all circumstantial but given the right criteria, is this fix at least in the ball park?
tmcclintock

Post by tmcclintock »

You might also want to look at optimizing your system. The Unix Kernal OS X is built in needs periodic maintenence. There are a number of good utilities out there, but here is one I like.

http://www.mkd.cc/

Download the System Optimizer X software.

t
Tiger/17" G4 PowerBook/1.5 Ghz Single/1GBRAM/Apogee MiniMe and MiniDAC Converters/HR8-24 Monitors/DP 4.6/Waves Platinum Bundle/Peak/T-Racks/FinalCut

"The Higher the Predictability, the Lower the Connectivity"

“If you don’t like change, you’re going to like irrelevance even less.â€
studiodog

Post by studiodog »

And don't shut your mac down every night.
OS X will run utilities and do maintenance every night, especially on Sunday nights.
Helen

Post by Helen »

Try Macaroni. http://www.atomicbird.com/

It automates the process, and allows you to run stuff manually when you see fit. It also allows you to shut down at night if you want.
Mac Pro Rack 7,1 3.2 Ghz 16-core, OS 11.6.1, 192GB ram
MOTU 828es, DP 11.02, Altiverb, Kontakt 6, VEPro
This job is fun, this job is fun....
midiw

Post by midiw »

I use Macaroni to do the routine UNIX stuff all in the background without leaving my machine on all nite.

I also discovered that using TechToolPro 4 helps to optimize/defrag the hard drive and to restore the OS directory. I run TTP4 weekly or even immediatly after I have installed a new program or AU/VST plug.

Moeny well spent on having both.
Mac OS: Mojave
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Mac Janitor is free, works well. I have had good luck with Drive 10 and Tech tools Pro. I have had bad luck with Nortons.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
lordtom

Post by lordtom »

I use "cocktail" for the past year with no a single problem with my generation A DP 1.8
Mac DP 1.8 6 gig ram