G5 Daw & dedicated G5 Insturment

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

kmixx
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

G5 Daw & dedicated G5 Insturment

Post by kmixx »

Hello everyone, I decided to make the plunge and go strictly software base. I will be using (2) 1.8Ghz dual G5'2GIG of Ram each, running DP 4.5... One will be used only as an Instrument running Machfive, MX4 and other VI's. And the other one strickly for recording and mixing. My question to you all is this. Do you think using one G5 for an VI host is a waste of a machine?

-------------------------------------------------
Dual 867 G4 1.5 Ram,DP 4.12,(3)15inch Apple LCD's, Machfive, MX4, Peak4, Soundsoap Pro, Jam & Toast, (1)powercore card,(1)powercore forewire, Blue Kiwi Mic, Gold Channel, Voicemaster Pro, Hui, D8B, (1)2408mk3, Motu MIDI AV & Express XT, Motif6, MPC4000, Akai S6000, Proteus2000, Mophatt, Xtream Lead, Triton. Event PS8's and PS5's.
newrigel

Re: G5 Daw & dedicated G5 Insturment

Post by newrigel »

Since PC's are so damn cheap you could actually get your light pipe (ADAT) cards and the whole outfit for about half of what the G5 would cost....
But please use the G5 by all means for your DAW host! This is how my studio is set up and It works excellent! Then you can just use the G5 for real plugs like Altiverb and such... but I have ran sessions on 1 G5 (7 gigs ram) with @ least 20 VI's plus 4 instances of Ativerb and about 20 to 30 tracks each with EQ and dynamics @ 24/48 and the processor is about halfway! The G5 is trully an AUDIO ANIMAL to say the least!

<small>[ October 30, 2004, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: newrigel ]</small>