Mac Mini 2012 shutting down randomly?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mac Mini 2012 shutting down randomly?

Post by mikehalloran »

You'd think that a refurb will always have a new battery but they probably don't. That was actually my first thought but then, "naw, it's a refurb..."

It's a standard C2032 available anywhere. The makers of medical devices say that brands make a difference and recommend Energizer or Duracell.

There are YouTube videos on getting into these to change the battery. Once you get to it, there's a trick to getting the old one out without breaking the holder. If you have an Apple Store nearby, they can do it while you wait.

External drives should be class compliant. This means that they shouldn't need drivers. I would get rid of any such disk utilities until this problems solved. Your drives should work.

If its a software issue, Apple can log into your machine to see what is going on.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Nibiru wrote:[...] are you one of those who is having a positive experience with Yosemite? So paranoid about making that switch...
[...]
Indeed, yes I am. May I say everything is just smoother in Yosemite ? All my apps just work. After a (very) little learning curve, I do prefer it over Mavericks.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Overall, the switch is positive for me. Fewer glitches with audio drivers, lost bundles, anomolies with MIDI devices. Some issues with other apps including server connection interruptions and running hotter on some Macs. Stuff we can expect to be fixed in the first few updates.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Nibiru

Post by Nibiru »

Hey guys. Been working too much the past couple days, but thank you so much for the replies and happy belated Thanksgiving!

So it seems, (heavily knock on wood) that resetting the SMC has stopped my Mac Mini from randomly shutting down. Also it seems that my new G-Drives are mounting and acting properly. Knock on wood one more time...

I saw that video about replacing the battery, I'm gonna cross my fingers a pray it isn't that as I don't wanna take this thing apart myself, or take it to Apple.

With that said, coming from 10.6.8 being super stable and awesome for me on a 2008 2.6ghz core duo MBP non-unibody, I have to say, so far so good with Mavericks. I was at micro center here in Brooklyn yesterday and got to see Yosemite for a few minutes. It looks cool, but it seems very different that all previous OS, which most definitely scares me. But also very encouraging to here good reports from power users here. Thanks for all the help and feedback!
Mac Mini M2 Pro - 16gb RAM - 500gb SSD | Apollo Twin Duo MkII | UAD Satellite x 2 (thunderbolt) | UAD plugins | Dell 2721QS Monitor | PMC Result 6 | DP 11.22 | Ableton | Luna
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Functionally in terms if the GUI it's not 'unfamiliar' but it adds a lot of great stuff and the 'look' is simpler. Sone people don't like the new look. Others don't care about that aspect as much and are more concerned about function over form.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Nibiru

Post by Nibiru »

I hear that. I really don't care how it looks so much. Just how it acts. In the process of setting up the Mini and moving data from my old (but not so) MBP, I really loved Snow Leopard. It was so friggin solid. Same thing when I moved from my G5 PPC running Tiger to said MBP. Friggin solid. But I digress...

A quick update regarding my Mini...it seems to need to be awoken with the power button after being asleep for many hours, i.e., after coming home from work (8 hours). The keyboard wakes it normally, no issues. Is this normal? I'm guessing not.
Mac Mini M2 Pro - 16gb RAM - 500gb SSD | Apollo Twin Duo MkII | UAD Satellite x 2 (thunderbolt) | UAD plugins | Dell 2721QS Monitor | PMC Result 6 | DP 11.22 | Ableton | Luna