G5 i-Mac working for DP?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

G5 i-Mac working for DP?

Post by David Polich »

Has anyone heard anything pro or con about the new G5 i-Macs and audio production?
I'm looking into getting one to run DP 4.5.

I've heard/read some rumors about overheating on the new G5 i-Macs, also some complaints about the video card's capabilities, and I do wonder about upgradability.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
sdemott
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: G5 i-Mac working for DP?

Post by sdemott »

At work we received 5 of the G5 iMacs, 2 of which were DOA. That's a 40% failure rate! Granted it's still very early, but I, personally, wouldn't buy one until the next revision when they work out all the issues.

As far as upgradability - outside of RAM there is none (though it's easy enough to get to the HD if you don't mind voiding the warranty).

I don't think it would make a bad music production system. It would be a disposable system because of the lack of any upgrade path and only a single FireWire400 bus with no way to add a 2nd bus. Of course, it all depends on how much $$$ you want to spend, how long you intend to use it before upgrading & what you intend to do with it. I think it would make a great "demo" system for a home setup or for a songwriter. It probably will choke on larger projects because of the lack of a secondary fast bus for an external HD.

Just my $0.02
-Steve
Not all who wander are lost.