SSD Drives with new Mac Pro / DP8

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Chris T
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: SSD Drives with new Mac Pro / DP8

Post by Chris T »

Ok thank you Mike.

Yes - I think the SSDs in a TB enclosure is the way to go for me. I forgot that I could put my Archive / Bkp drives on USB (so that saves my TB ports, and saves having to buy another enclosure!).
Main SYS: 12-Core New Mac Pro (Dec 2013), 64GB RAM, OS10.10, Apollo Quad Interface, 3xSSD work/sound drives in TB Enclosure, UAD Plugs, DP, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2nd SYS: Intel 8-Core Mac Pro (2007), 28GB RAM, OS10.7, MOTU PCI 424, 2408 interfaces (4), DP8.07, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2 Mac Minis (2011): Dual Quad, 16GB RAM running VE Pro, various libraries in Kontakt, G-Player, UVI.
Chris T

Post by Chris T »

In case you're interested, here's what I think I'll go with:

I was going to go with this Enclosure (a bit cheaper than some others, but supposed to be good):

OWC / Other World Computing ThunderBay IV 4-Bay OWCTBIVKIT0GB

Instead of the RAID I was going to get 2x1TB SSDs for my Sounds (to go in the OWC Encl). If I need more sound storage in future I can always get a 3rd (and hopefully $ will be less!). My drives:

Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-7TE1T0BW) x2

I'll put my DP sessions on the internal PCIe (or maybe another SSD in the OWC Encl).

I'm planning to just keep my G-Tech FW drives for my backups / archive (via a TB-FW adapter).

Let me know if you think any of this sounds silly.

Thanks
Main SYS: 12-Core New Mac Pro (Dec 2013), 64GB RAM, OS10.10, Apollo Quad Interface, 3xSSD work/sound drives in TB Enclosure, UAD Plugs, DP, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2nd SYS: Intel 8-Core Mac Pro (2007), 28GB RAM, OS10.7, MOTU PCI 424, 2408 interfaces (4), DP8.07, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2 Mac Minis (2011): Dual Quad, 16GB RAM running VE Pro, various libraries in Kontakt, G-Player, UVI.
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by HCMarkus »

Chris T wrote:Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-7TE1T0BW) x2
Great drives, but I once again encourage you to note the fact firmware flash will be required unless you get drives previously updated by Samsung. The stale data issue could greatly impact the EVO drives' speed, especially when used to serve sample libraries.
Chris T

Post by Chris T »

Yes thanks HC. That article seems to only mention the Windows tool though. Do you know if there's a Mac tool?… Aside from this issue, it seems like these Samsungs are the best (and most reliable) bang-for the buck SSDs out right now, right?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8617/sams ... rmance-bug
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by HCMarkus »

Chris T wrote:Yes thanks HC. That article seems to only mention the Windows tool though. Do you know if there's a Mac tool?… Aside from this issue, it seems like these Samsungs are the best (and most reliable) bang-for the buck SSDs out right now, right?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8617/sams ... rmance-bug
Crucial has great bang for the buck. Or you can go for the Samsung 840 Pro if you want to avoid the EVO issues. And given time, the supply chain will be flushed clean of the EVO drives with the problem firmware.

The EVO DOS tool is available now. You have to create a bootable CD using the file Samsung provides. Good luck with that. See this for details:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 30#p493421