I hate the new TextEdit open dialog box....

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

I hate the new TextEdit open dialog box....

Post by FMiguelez »

I used to be able to press ⌘-spacebar, type "te", and spotlight would open a new TextEdit document for me, ready to be used.

But now, I get a stupid open dialog box asking for opening a document or starting a new one. It's only an extra step, but it's really annoying.

I was talking on the phone, ready to take some notes that way, and it took a few sentences before I noticed nothing was being written because of that damned window.

I've searched the preferences, but I don't see any switches to turn it off. Do any of you know how to get rid of it, or is it one of those Apple-enforced "good ideas"?

Thanks!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Re: I hate the new TextEdit open dialog box....

Post by bayswater »

I noticed this quite a while ago, and couldn't find a way to get it work as it did before. I usually start with a plain text document, so I had to go through that step as well. So I created a blank textedit document, made it "stationary", and dragged it to the right hand end of the doc. Now when I want a new window I just click on that. You could also give the blank doc a unique name and open it via spotlight. I did the same for Numbers -- it goes through a series of useless steps when it starts up too. But you can't make a Numbers document stationary, so I had to lock it instead.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Of course! That's a great idea.

Thanks, Bays!
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Hmmm... I just discovered this annoyance has to do with iCloud Drive. If you go to System Preferences>iCloud Drive>Options, TextEdit can be unchecked and turned off right there. Now it opens blank, as it used to.

I haven't used iCloud much yet, so I'm not sure about its details, but even with that option turned off, it still syncs. The only thing I noticed is that with the TextEdit off, its corresponding folder TextEdit folder in the Finder goes away (with whatever it had inside, apparently). But it still syncs if you place the TextEdit docs outside the TextEdit folder, so I'm not sure what that means...

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

There's something in Ars Technica about this. The only way to stop it is to start a document, and save it when to your local drive when it's blank. I've turned document sync off in preferences. I don't think it's ready for general use.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8