YOSEMITE does not allow SECURE ad hoc networks!! :(

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: YOSEMITE does not allow SECURE ad hoc networks!! :(

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:Are saying you can set wpa2 password with ad hoc networks?
Nope.
That article seems to be contradictory. It categorically states that ad hoc networking is unencrypted, but then states that the "software base station", whatever that is, offers WPA2. All of my internet sharing configurations are greyed out.
Wireless ad hoc networks are not secure. Device makers have had ten years to move onto something that is. This article gives you some idea and has links to other articles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_ad_hoc_network
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:You must now use WPA2.
Mike... if you would kindly show me how you can set ANY password for an adhoc network on a Mac running Yosemite, I'd appreciate it. For me, the password option simply ISN'T THERE when I chose the "Create Network..." option.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:Wireless ad hoc networks are not secure. Device makers have had ten years to move onto something that is. This article gives you some idea and has links to other articles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_ad_hoc_network
BTW, an adhoc wireless network was a good way for me to control DP8 on my MacBook from an iPad. And I'm not sure what the security vulnerability is/was, but having a long and strong password for a system I'm using at a gig is probably going to be adequate for my security needs, barring someone in the club armed with a laptop and possessing the knowledge to launch some sort of brute force attack on my adhoc wireless network. I want it simply to dissuade the curious with their smartphones from joining it.

As it is, rather than troubleshoot my issue with Mountain Lion, I'm glad I did the workaround. I already owned the extra router and probably more effective to combine the password protection with the MAC filter to reject all devices but my own. Of course, nothing is 100% secure, but so long as I'm not bad-mouthing Anonymous in a public forum, I'm probably going to be okay. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
arnopolaris
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by arnopolaris »

James Steele wrote:[ I want it simply to dissuade the curious with their smartphones from joining it.
i am wondering if someone with a smartphone connecting to a non password protected ad'hoc connection could cause some trouble to my connection when using it in public ? anyone experienced this ? using and carrying an external router for a gig sounds quite annoying for me to say the truth..
someone who would connect to my network could crash my connection between a laptop and an ipad ?
magoocas

Post by magoocas »

After lots of consultation with google with no success,I finally found the setting to turn on security and change the SSID for the ad-hoc network.

Since this seems to be a popular result (at least for me) for searches on google for this topic, I thought I would provide my response here. Perhaps if the OP can replicate the below steps you could sticky the solution.
Here goes:
  • 1) First make sure you have internet sharing turned off.
    • System Preferences -> Sharing -> Uncheck "Internet Sharing"
    2) With "Internet Sharing" selected:
    • a) specify the connection you want to share ("Share your connection from:")
      b) In the "To computers using:" list check Wi-Fi
      c) Click the "Wi-Fi Options..." button
    3) In the "Configure an internet-sharing network window":
    • a) Set the Network Name (SSID) to desired value
      b) Change the "Security:" field from "None" to "WPA2 Personal"
      c) Set a password and click OK
    4) Now you can check "Internet Sharing"
    5) Click start on the confirmation dialog.
    6) Enjoy :)
Cheers
-Luke
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

magoocas wrote:After lots of consultation with google with no success,I finally found the setting to turn on security and change the SSID for the ad-hoc network.

Since this seems to be a popular result (at least for me) for searches on google for this topic, I thought I would provide my response here. Perhaps if the OP can replicate the below steps you could sticky the solution.
Here goes:
  • 1) First make sure you have internet sharing turned off.
    • System Preferences -> Sharing -> Uncheck "Internet Sharing"
    2) With "Internet Sharing" selected:
    • a) specify the connection you want to share ("Share your connection from:")
      b) In the "To computers using:" list check Wi-Fi
      c) Click the "Wi-Fi Options..." button
    3) In the "Configure an internet-sharing network window":
    • a) Set the Network Name (SSID) to desired value
      b) Change the "Security:" field from "None" to "WPA2 Personal"
      c) Set a password and click OK
    4) Now you can check "Internet Sharing"
    5) Click start on the confirmation dialog.
    6) Enjoy :)
Cheers
-Luke
I wrote lately here
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 72#p505204
about creating an ad-hoc network at boot with a script app that can be put into login items
and WEP -40/128 is already possible in 10.6.8
I defined a wireless network first like explained above...
and thought this is a well known procedure...

Happy 'remoting'
and best regards
Klaus
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

At the risk of going technical, the title of this thread says it all and is correct.

There are a number of ways to set up secure wireless networks in Yosemite. A secure ad hoc network using WEP is no longer one of them. An ad hoc network may still be set up but cannot be made secure.

The problem, as James pointed out, is that there is hardware made before 2003 that doesn't support WEP2 and few pieces made later where the manufacturer didn't get the memo. WEP was officially dropped as a supported protocol that year and, with Yosemite, Apple decided that eleven years was long enough.

Here's a good basic article on the subject.

http://tidbits.com/article/15158
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
magoocas

Post by magoocas »

mikehalloran wrote:There are a number of ways to set up secure wireless networks in Yosemite. A secure ad hoc network using WEP is no longer one of them.
Agreed.
mikehalloran wrote: An ad hoc network may still be set up but cannot be made secure.
Not true. I am using an iPad that is connected to my Macbook via a WPA2 secured network right now. Assuming you have the hardware, try out my instructions.
mikehalloran wrote: The problem, as James pointed out, is that there is hardware made before 2003 that doesn't support WEP2 and few pieces made later where the manufacturer didn't get the memo. WEP was officially dropped as a supported protocol that year and, with Yosemite, Apple decided that eleven years was long enough.
What the thread title states is that securing an ad-hoc Wi-Fi network on Yosemite is not possible, my instructions prove otherwise (using WPA2).

It's true that if you have an old enough device that WPA is not supported you will not be able to make a secure network, but I would argue based on assesments from the security research field that WEP is no longer considered a secure network.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sec ... vs_wep.htm
magoocas

Post by magoocas »

Klaus wrote: I wrote lately here
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 72#p505204
about creating an ad-hoc network at boot with a script app that can be put into login items
and WEP -40/128 is already possible in 10.6.8
I defined a wireless network first like explained above...
and thought this is a well known procedure...

Happy 'remoting'
and best regards
Klaus
Klaus,

It's true that the internet sharing procedure is well know, what I was having a hard time finding was where to make the selection for a WPA2 secured ad-hoc network. Also I would note that WEP is no longer considered to be a secure network.

Regards,
-Luke
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

but I would argue based on assesments...
Ague away. That wasn't the point of this thread.
magoocas

Post by magoocas »

mikehalloran wrote:Ague away. That wasn't the point of this thread.
No problem, I'm not trying to jump into a previous conversation; just thought this would be an appropriate location to provide this information.

In regards to James' earlier question...
James Steele wrote: Mike... if you would kindly show me how you can set ANY password for an adhoc network on a Mac running Yosemite, I'd appreciate it. For me, the password option simply ISN'T THERE when I chose the "Create Network..." option.
I am fairly certain the information I provided originally should be of some help in setting up an ad-hoc network with WPA2 encryption.

Regards,
-Luke
arnopolaris

Post by arnopolaris »

mikehalloran wrote: An ad hoc network may still be set up but cannot be made secure.
mikehalloran wrote: Not true. I am using an iPad that is connected to my Macbook via a WPA2 secured network right now. Assuming you have the hardware, try out my instructions.
sorry but i am a bit lost. i am also using an Ipad and i still didnt manage to connect it to my macbook with a password, i mean both are connected but the network is accessible to any iphone or laptop close to it without any password, or i am missing something ?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I didn't write that second quote, Luke did.

Anyway, try his instructions a few posts back and see if you can make them work.
arnopolaris

Post by arnopolaris »

well i agree on what you wrote " An ad hoc network may still be set up but cannot be made secure."

i came to same conclusion and it is quite annoying for my set up.