Mail's Smart Mailboxes ignore my settings (Yosemite)

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mail's Smart Mailboxes ignore my settings (Yosemite)

Post by FMiguelez »

Hello.

I posted this in Apple´s support fora, but I doubt I´ll ever get an answer over there. Besides, you guys are the best 8)

I think there's a bug when programming the Smart Mailboxes. The settings change and are ignored.

They keep ignoring my settings and reverting to random parameters. For instance, if I create one like this:

I save it and when I open it to check, it changes to this:

If I create one like this:

I save it and when I open it to check, it changes to this:

The first number, no matter what I do, ALWAYS changes to 7 after I saved it.

Sometimes it changes from "days" to "years" on its own.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Thank you for your help.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Re: Mail's Smart Mailboxes ignore my settings (Yosemite)

Post by bayswater »

Yes. I set the first field to 14 and it changes to 7.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Thanks for taking the time for testing this, Bays.

What a weird bug. I guess Apple really likes 7 :smash:

I've been searching, but I haven't found anything on the internet about this particular issue. I suppose it's because Yosemite is still quite new, and nobody has stumbled upon this bug yet.

I don't see a place to report this bug to Apple other than the generic "Feedback" site. I wish there were something like MOTU's support tickets, but apparently, I need to be registered as an Apple developer to get that. I'm not sure I can be arsed with it...
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

All right. I complied with my "user duty" and just filled out one of those generic feedback forms to report it.

I won't hold my breath until it's fixed, though.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Supposedly there is a bug report page. Google Apple Bug Reporter and you will see the link to the login page. You need to use an Apple ID. I think you also need a developer account, but I haven't tried it.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Mac Mail... hmmm...

I use and like it, but it has not worked 100% since at least Mavericks and possibly as far back as Mountain Lion.

Until Yosemite, the problem with using "get acct info" from a server resulted in a window with menu bars that could not be sorted or even select. With Yosemite, that was fixed, but the top line displaying message titles and dates is blank. A message is there, but you can't see any info. Messages that follow are fine. If only one message is on the server, it remains blank. It can be selected and deleted, but you'd never know who it was from. PITA.

On the plus side, here's a new one for me" when creating or responding to an email in Yosemite, if I type a website such as midilifecrisis.com (just like that) Mac Mail automatically converts it to a link. I like that a lot. Oh the joys of geekdom...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote: On the plus side, here's a new one for me" when creating or responding to an email in Yosemite, if I type a website such as midilifecrisis.com (just like that) Mac Mail automatically converts it to a link. I like that a lot. Oh the joys of geekdom...
I didn't know that!
Thanks for the tip.

One that I like is how one can drag any mailbox up to the favourites bar, so the side bar can remain closed most of the time, and any mailbox in that bar can be accessed via a shortcut according to their placement (command-6, etc).
Flags and VIPs are nice too.

What I'm REALLY missing is OUTgoing rules. Currently, rules only work with incoming messages. I know apps like Mail-Act-On take care of this, but I think it's such a basic and needed feature that it should come right out the box (pun intended). I purchased that Indev app some time ago, but I don't feel like paying again for their Yosemite update.

MIDI Life Crisis

MIDI Life Crisis wrote: Until Yosemite, the problem with using "get acct info" from a server resulted in a window with menu bars that could not be sorted or even select. With Yosemite, that was fixed, but the top line displaying message titles and dates is blank. A message is there, but you can't see any info.
ps - A workaround is to sort the list and the top message can be sorted and thereby seen.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:the problem with using "get acct info" from a server resulted in a window with menu bars that could not be sorted or even select. With Yosemite, that was fixed, but the top line displaying message titles and dates is blank. A message is there, but you can't see any info. Messages that follow are fine. If only one message is on the server, it remains blank. It can be selected and deleted, but you'd never know who it was from.
Sorry, can you explain what is missing?

If I click on "get account info" and then tell it to list messages for a mailbox, it doesn't create a new window with a message list like it used to, it just takes me back to the standard window in Mail that lists messages. This has the same single column with a sort menu at the top as all the message lists I see in Mail. If I compare that to what I see by going into a web mail client to look at the same mailbox, the two show the same thing.
MIDI Life Crisis

The top entry is always blank.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Maybe it's the GoDaddy server?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Could be. If I click on get account info, and then click on the quotas tab, all rows are there, and the menu headers can be used. If click on Show Messages at the bottom of the account info window, I get the usual message listing that again shows everything. Maybe GoDaddy keeps a blank message on the server for some reason?
MIDI Life Crisis

This happened starting with Yosemite. Before that, all messages showed up but you couldn't sort or select a list. At least I can do that now. Weird.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS