Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Adventures in Yosemite

Post by philbrown »

This is a continuation of a conversation here:
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=58518

With no option to obtain Mavericks anywhere on the net, I reluctantly decided to install Yosemite on my new 1TB SSD. After 5 years on a MP4,1, time for a fresh new install from the ground up.
My present startup drive, called HD1 is running 10.8.5.
I start the Yosemite install and it forces a restart even though I'm installing on another drive. OK, fair enough, it wants all apps closed, network off, whatever. Installation proceeds and then the Mac restarts booting from the new SSD drive and walks me through the usual setup stuff. Get done, restart, still boots from SSD. Now I never changed my startup drive preference, and I'm installing on a secondary drive so I'm in disagreement with this, Apple, but whatever. So I restart again with the Option key down as usual for multi-boot to choose HD1 again. HD1 is nowhere to be found. The SSD is there, my Time Machine external drive is there and a Boot recovery drive is there, that's it. My startup drive is missing and I'm starting to freak out. It appears the boot recovery partition is from HD1, so not having any other options, I restarted from that partition. Then once that booted up, I was able to get to Prefs>Startup disc and found HD1 there (YAY!) selected it and thankfully it booted and all is well (so far).

I've done a LOT of OS installs over the years and never had anything like this happen before. It does not make me confident in Yosemite, when the first thing it does is lose my main startup drive. Am I missing something here- some piece of info that would explain this?
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
bayswater

Re: Adventures in Yosemite

Post by bayswater »

Phil, when I did a clean install of Yosemite, I also saw the "disappearing" volume when starting with the Option key held down. A couple of restarts and it appeared in System Preferences, and has not disappeared since.

I have no idea why it happened, but maybe because at that point the default startup drive is pre 10.10, the system can't see a valid 10.10 startup drive until it is set in System Preferences. Could it be that, like Windows can't distinguish V9 from V95 or V98, OS X can't distinguish 10.10 from 10.1? A bug, and a pretty fundamental bug no matter what the cause.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Having more than one OS active in a system isn't always a good idea. On my G5 and G4 it was fine, but on my current machine, it is not so fine. Until I removed the second system, I had similar kinds of issues and even the opt boot was wonky. Most often it was a blank screen and after a few tries, it would eventually boot. I assumed it was because I bought a used machine. I was wrong.

In the bigger picture, Yosemite has been working great. I do see a few security issues in Safari and iTunes, but nothing I can't workaround. Annoyances, for sure, but so much more is starting to work better than before. I ran DP for about 11 hours yesterday w/o incident. The day before, 9 hours.

I was also sent a beta (I'm not a tester) for an important piece of software that had become a bookend for me recently. It's fixed! I guess the squeaky wheel got the oil this time... Once that's released and we see a couple of more updates from Apple, MOTU, et al (especially Al) I think we'll all be in "the park" [OS] with Apples.

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Thanks a bunch for the replies, you guys- much appreciated.
MLC- I've always had multi-boot machines and I'll need Windows on this one too, eventually, or some kind of workaround. Wasn't that long ago I had OSX and OS9 on a G4 and OSX/Windows XP on a MacPro and regularly needed all 3 operating systems for different tasks. Anyway, glad to hear it's straightening out for you with some use and tweakage, MLC. I know you were pretty unhappy with Yosemite at first. I'll try to have "guarded optimism".

I wish I could just wait it out for 10.10.2 but this Mac is crying out for a revamp after 5 years on the same startup HD with all the usual accumulation of crappola.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

In my case, I did a clean install of Mavericks 10.9.5 on my new SSD. A few weeks later, when Yosemite was released, I updated the SSD. My internal is still on Mavericks and I haven't booted into it since.

I am still thinking that I would like to sell this machine and get something newer but it's running so well now that I have pushed it till next year.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Just found a MAJOR issue with Yosemite that will preclude me from using it on my MacBook for live shows:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=58618
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote:Just found a MAJOR issue with Yosemite that will preclude me from using it on my MacBook for live shows:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=58618
Reading up on this, it looks like Apple removed WEP because it is essentially useless in securing a network. Apparently, Apple doesn't allow the use of WEP at all any more after 10 years of trying to remove it. But you have to wonder what committee decided to keep ad hoc networks in place without some alternative security methods.

I've generally use the iPhone as a router when I want to connect Mac away from the home network.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Sheesh, it makes me wonder if WEP adhoc really is gone, or is it just hidden, like half of the old functions in iTunes 12 that can be resurrected by some obscure combination of keystrokes and/or mouse clicks. :shake:
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

It was hidden in 10.9. Now it is truly gone.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:It was hidden in 10.9. Now it is truly gone.
Yep. The option to add a password was removed. I used to directly connect my iPad to the MacBook running DP. No more. In the thread I linked to, I ended up having to put an old LinkSys router I had back into service. Probably better security anyway. After initially setting it up with my MacBook via Ethernet, looks like I'm good. I have strong password to get into the network, but better than that, I've set it up to reject connections from all MAC addresses EXCEPT those of MY devices. Nobody's going to hack into it, I'm sure.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!