Toast 12

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Toast 12

Post by mikehalloran »

Anyone using Toast 12?

I just updated. It looks like Toast 11 but doesn't have those extra apps that have been crashing Macs since OS 10.8.2 such as Spin Doctor. The only announced new features are

a) you can Burn HD videos on standard DVDs for playback on Blu-ray players and

b) a new bundled app called Live Screen Capture that may be more convenient to use for capturing on-screen video than QuickTime 10. We'll see.

Toast 11 would sometimes require a force-quit and reboot in ML and Mavericks if you left it on long enough with a USB burner attached. I am guessing a small memory leak, not really sure. I tried to make it misbehave in Yosemite by leaving it and my USB burner on for days but it was rock steady.

I can't say that I recommend upgrading if you are in Yosemite and don't need the new features. I ordered 12 awhile back and just got around to installing it today. It does work great, however.

Yes, I know that Disk Utility and iTunes are part of the OS but Toast is a nice application and it is far more versatile. Also, you can master CDs in if if you have codes and want to. It also supports burning multiple disks at once if you have multiple burners.

QT 10 is also free and does video screen video capture. If, however, Live Screen Capture can work in the background, that will be really nice. I haven't tested it yet.

The upgrade price is $59.99. There be bargains.
http://www.softwarevouchers.com/roxio-t ... umpro.html
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Toast 12

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:a) you can Burn HD videos on standard DVDs for playback on Blu-ray players...
Wow! That's a trick. Be fun to play with since I don't have a BlueRay burner.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

I think you can also do that with FCP X.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

BKK-OZ wrote:I think you can also do that with FCP X.
Really? Did not know that! Thanks! :)

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Feature list for FCP.

Do an in-page search 'AVCHD'.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Alfred Zigoma

Post by Alfred Zigoma »

macupdate.com recently been selling software bundle for $ 50, was there a toaster 12,
yet it can batch convert audio and video and dvd ripper
MacPro Quad-Core 2.8 GHZ 16GB RAM OSX 10.10, MacBook Pro 13" 2.4GHz 8GB RAM OSX 10.11, Mac Mini MD388 OSX 10.10
DP 8, SSL MADI AlphaLink MX, UA Apollo, SSL Sigma, PMC Tb2, ATC SCM 20, SSL Alpha VHD Pre, Kemper, Powercore x8, UAD Octo, MC Mix(х2), MC Control, Melodyne, Revoice Pro, RX4, Soundtoys, McDSP, Waves, all Slate, VSL VE Pro, SE, Suite, NI Kontakt 5, Halion 5, MachFive 3, BPM, etc...
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Toast sucks especially for DVD creation.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Toast sucks especially for DVD creation.
What do you use?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

I've been using iDVD. Virtually every DVD I made in Toast didn't playback correctly on any machine, not even the computer on which it was burned. IDVD discs have been 100% reliable. Very often I will delete the soundtrack as I'll be performing to a silent film on the disc. Perhaps the removal of the soundtrack was an issue? Not sure, but it wasn't working and screwed up more than one screening. I also like the iDVD menus better and don't really mind the Apple logo.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I didn't know iDVD still exists. I had a vague recollection that it was folded into iMovie? Can't see it in the App Store and it isn't on any of my drives. It is on yours from an older install?
MIDI Life Crisis

bayswater wrote:I didn't know iDVD still exists. I had a vague recollection that it was folded into iMovie? Can't see it in the App Store and it isn't on any of my drives. It is on yours from an older install?
Ver. 7.1.2 dated 2011. I've migrated my last few updates and it came along for the ride. FCP X did, as well, but deauthorized in Yosemite. I had downloaded the trial version and it apparently read the authorization the previous owner of the MP installed. I tried it but never actually used it for a project. Final Cut Express 3.5 is so much easier for me. BTW, FCE works well in "Y park" OS.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Virtually every DVD I made in Toast didn't playback correctly on any machine, not even the computer on which it was burned.
I remember that.

Not my experience at all and I have made a fair number of Video DVDs in Toast 11. It's not the smoothest process, however, and I have burned a few coasters trying to get the settings right. Once I got things right, I used Copy Disk in Toast rather than to set it up again.

Does iDVD still work in Yosemite? I still have it on an iLife '11 DVD. It's pretty easy to find.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

I made a few performance DVDs in the Y-park for shows this weekend and they all went fine. I always loved the look of the letter Y. Something primal, I think.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:I didn't know iDVD still exists. I had a vague recollection that it was folded into iMovie? Can't see it in the App Store and it isn't on any of my drives. It is on yours from an older install?
Ahhhh... I remember this. There's a way you can get it back as I recall. It involves obtaining an older iLife install disc off eBay, etc. Such a shame that Apple killed it off. Of course with everything going HD these days, I'd think standard def isn't going to really be around much longer. (This from a guy who rarely watches television, and when he does, it's on a 27" standard def CRT television with a digital converter box and rabbit ears. But hey... ADAM-12 was a GREAT show! Especially the episode where Pete Malloy was so proud of his *new* car... an AMC Matador.)

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Yes, the Matador. We had a brown one called the Mudshark.

I have an iLife disk somewhere ...