Snow Leopard to Yosemite conundrum...

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Snow Leopard to Yosemite conundrum...

Post by FMiguelez »

bayswater wrote: I'd assume a powered down hard drive has the heads parked. Otherwise, how could you ever transport it safely?
Agreed.

It would´t be the first time that I'm misinformed from a Mexico-Apple rep or repair person. This would actually be like the 12th time :roll:

What I assume they mean is that the drive parks when it senses motion as long as it remains parked of the full duration of the computer nap, but I think they think ( ! ) it parks for a moment and then it un-parks an so on constantly... Could that be it?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote:
bayswater wrote: I'd assume a powered down hard drive has the heads parked. Otherwise, how could you ever transport it safely?
Agreed.

It would´t be the first time that I'm misinformed from a Mexico-Apple rep or repair person. This would actually be like the 12th time :roll:

What I assume they mean is that the drive parks when it senses motion as long as it remains parked of the full duration of the computer nap, but I think they think ( ! ) it parks for a moment and then it un-parks an so on constantly... Could that be it?
Seems to me if the head is parked and the disk is powered down, the head is not going to move until the power comes back up, and the motion detector is irrelevant once the Mac is in sleep mode, because there is no power to anything but the RAM. Your post led me to look through Apple support, and I can't find any advice from them. But here's an article that addresses the question directly, although I have no way of knowing if these people know what they're talking about.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/question ... port-my-ma
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

bayswater wrote:... although I have no way of knowing if these people know what they're talking about.
You mean like the Mexian Apple reps? :lol:

I'll read the link and check what they say...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

They also said that the HD seems damaged with lots of faulty sectors.
I was expecting that from your symptoms as you can see from my first response. That matched your symptoms perfectly.

Is this old enough to have a Seagate HD? Ignore the techs who tell you that she caused this by carrying it in Sleep mode. You really shouldn't move one before its gone to sleep but people do all the time without harm.

Certain Mac Books are known for motherboard issues. A bad drive can cause them. If this has an optical drive, that can be the culprit. Sounds weird that an internal DVD burner can cause motherboard issues but it's true.

If you have the opportunity to pick up a new one with no moving parts except a cooling fan, that will be ideal. My wife'e MacBook Air is a great machine.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro