Any way to install Mavericks still?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

billf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Any way to install Mavericks still?

Post by billf »

dix wrote:Turns out you can still buy Mountain Lion, but not Mavericks!

So now the question is should I bother tracking down Mavericks or go to ML? Any clear reason to go to Mavericks? Is ML more solid or less solid with DP than Mavericks? There doesn't seem to be a consensus. Thx
I have ML on one machine and Mavericks on the other. Unless you need to do something like run the most recent version of Final Cut X or Motion 5, Mountain Lion is a good choice. Eventually though Apple will kill support for it, so if you're going with ML, see if you can also get yourself a copy of Mavericks just in case.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
dix

Post by dix »

As it turned out the machine had Mavericks installed, not SL as advertised so I opted to use Migration Assistant and stick with that. MA is pretty wonky and extremely slow, but it did get everything over eventually - at the very end it just hung and I had to do a hard shut down, but everything was there when it restarted. It was rough going for a bit with random crashes from DP, but everything seems okay now. …it's weird how software seems to settle in with use, even without changing anything.

Lots to learn and get used to in Mavericks. Really missing Expose. I didn't realize how much a part of my workflow it was. Mission Control doesn't seem nearly as useful.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I do not have any copy of Mavericks and I want to do a clean Mavericks install on a new SSD drive I'm installing on my 4,1 Mac Pro. Apple in their Infinite Appleness have removed all links to be able to download a Mavericks installer as near as I can tell after going in circles for an hour. Am I just SOL and have to install Yosemite now? Should I just do that and forget Mavericks?

Any advice appreciated.

Added: actually I just remembered I do have Mavericks on my laptop. Would that help me get there?
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

philbrown wrote:I do not have any copy of Mavericks and I want to do a clean Mavericks install on a new SSD drive I'm installing on my 4,1 Mac Pro. Apple in their Infinite Appleness have removed all links to be able to download a Mavericks installer as near as I can tell after going in circles for an hour. Am I just SOL and have to install Yosemite now? Should I just do that and forget Mavericks?

Any advice appreciated.

Added: actually I just remembered I do have Mavericks on my laptop. Would that help me get there?
Can you find Mavericks as a download in the App Store under purchases?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
adriano

Post by adriano »

cuttime wrote:
philbrown wrote:I do not have any copy of Mavericks and I want to do a clean Mavericks install on a new SSD drive I'm installing on my 4,1 Mac Pro. Apple in their Infinite Appleness have removed all links to be able to download a Mavericks installer as near as I can tell after going in circles for an hour. Am I just SOL and have to install Yosemite now? Should I just do that and forget Mavericks?

Any advice appreciated.

I downloaded Yosemite, and never installed it. But, Mavericks is no longer in my purchases on AppStore, ML is though. I have no clue why is that or WTH Apple is doing.
iMac9,1, 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB-RAM, 10.9.5
DP 8.07, 828MKIII, Keys-Fantom X8, XV-88. Key

SampleTank v2.5.4, Miroslav Philharmonik v1.1.2, SampleMoog v1.02, SampleTron v1.02, Sonik Synth 2 v2.1.1, Independence Pro v3.2.0126, EZDrummer 1.4, MDrummer Large 5.02, Komplete U9, Orchestral Essential 1, Orchestral Essential 2, Complete Orchestral Collection

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

But, Mavericks is no longer in my purchases on AppStore, ML is though. I have no clue why is that or WTH Apple is doing.
That's weird. It's still in mine. They do list in reverse order with Lion at the bottom, ML a couple of items up and Mavericks in the middle of my Purchases list.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Mavericks is in my purchases too. So is ML, and even Lion. Do you have more than one apple account?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I always save the install disks to thumb drives for this purpose. Nw that I'm getting used to Yosemite, I am rethinking the return to Mavericks. I'm usually better in a park than on a wave, anyway.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
adriano

Post by adriano »

mikehalloran wrote:
But, Mavericks is no longer in my purchases on AppStore, ML is though. I have no clue why is that or WTH Apple is doing.
That's weird. It's still in mine. They do list in reverse order with Lion at the bottom, ML a couple of items up and Mavericks in the middle of my Purchases list.
Yes, my listed in reverse also, but ever since I downloaded Y, Mavericks is gone.
Weird it is, Mike.

SampleTank v2.5.4, Miroslav Philharmonik v1.1.2, SampleMoog v1.02, SampleTron v1.02, Sonik Synth 2 v2.1.1, Independence Pro v3.2.0126, EZDrummer 1.4, MDrummer Large 5.02, Komplete U9, Orchestral Essential 1, Orchestral Essential 2, Complete Orchestral Collection

adriano

Post by adriano »

bayswater wrote:Mavericks is in my purchases too. So is ML, and even Lion. Do you have more than one apple account?
No bayswater. One account is all I have, ever since the AppStore.

I'll ask my neighbor to make me a bootable USB just in case.

philbrown

Post by philbrown »

cuttime wrote:
Lion, Mountain Lion and Yosemite are all there, but not Mavericks!

I checked on my MBP just in case, since it came with Mavericks installed but it's all one Apple ID so all the same stuff is listed in purchases on all my computers. I might as well install Yosemite I guess as I don't have much choice anyway.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

philbrown wrote:
cuttime wrote:

I checked on my MBP just in case, since it came with Mavericks installed but it's all one Apple ID so all the same stuff is listed in purchases on all my computers. I might as well install Yosemite I guess as I don't have much choice anyway.
Maybe you never actually "purchased" Mavericks, i.e., never clicked on the purchase button and downloaded it, generated the receipt embedded in the Library folders, etc., so even though it was free it might not turn up in your Purchased list.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

bayswater wrote:
philbrown wrote:
cuttime wrote:

Maybe you never actually "purchased" Mavericks, i.e., never clicked on the purchase button and downloaded it, generated the receipt embedded in the Library folders, etc., so even though it was free it might not turn up in your Purchased list.
Exactly right, Bays.
Still no need to make it inaccessible though, Apple.
Really weird install of Yosemite- several things I've never seen ever.
I'll save that for some other thread.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If you bought your Mac with the OS preinstalled, it's on your restore DVD.

Over the years, I have had to call Apple to get another copy for one reason or another. They've always sent it free. It probably won't be the exact one that came with your Mac originally but it will work. When they sent a replacement for my 2010 iMac, it was a disk that also worked with my wife's 2011 and a few others. These are the same DVDs that come with refurbs.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

mikehalloran wrote:If you bought your Mac with the OS preinstalled, it's on your restore DVD.

Over the years, I have had to call Apple to get another copy for one reason or another. They've always sent it free. It probably won't be the exact one that came with your Mac originally but it will work. When they sent a replacement for my 2010 iMac, it was a disk that also worked with my wife's 2011 and a few others. These are the same DVDs that come with refurbs.
AFAIK Apple stopped supplying recovery discs at some point. The last 15" MBP I bought (earlier this year) didn't come with a disc even though it has a disc drive. That was the same one with Mavericks installed, and yet Apple gives me no access to Mavericks either, as stated earlier. You can't even purchase a retail version of a Mavericks install disc as with previous systems. Trying hard for this not to turn into a rant...