Moderator: James Steele

James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Yosemite Tips and Tricks...

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote:I know a lot of you use Audio Hijack Pro. FYI:
http://www.macworld.com/article/2837811 ... aster.html
So from what I gather the guy just never updated it. Seems like making sure you have the latest versions after an OS update is basic. Nothing to worry about if you launch Audio Hijack Pro every so often and heed the update notices.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

James Steele wrote:Nothing to worry about if you launch Audio Hijack Pro every so often and heed the update notices.
+ .5

j/k... +1
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

MOTU Tech link responded further (having admitted that Full Screen Mode was a bug) by telling me to option click the green button to maximise the window - and therefore my tech link was resolved. I have responded by saying that this does not resolve the issue and they need to update DP's compatability with Yosemite. So I don't know from this whether there will be an update soon - it doesn't sound like it.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I haven't installed Yosemite in my main music computer, only on one of the slaves that doubles as office-related stuff.

So far, every single app, audio-related and otherwise, works perfectly, including DP.

I am really LOVING Yosemite. Overall, I think it's a killer OS; a big step from other versions.

The only thing that I've found quite disappointing, but it's not Yosemite-related but apparently APPLE policy-related, is this lack of support or censorship for certain countries for a few things.
For instance, México is not supported for Wikipedia, movies or maps in the new Spotlight window. ARRRRGGGHH!!! I really hate that! Why is it like this? Why providing support for certain things for some countries but not others??? :smash: :smash: :smash:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote:For instance, México is not supported for Wikipedia, movies or maps in the new Spotlight window
What does that mean? What is not available? Is it about language?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

bayswater wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:For instance, México is not supported for Wikipedia, movies or maps in the new Spotlight window
No. It's about support.

For instance, if you type the name of a movie, or a concept you want to find in Wikipedia, you get movie times, reviews, etc., you get a Wikipedia summary right there in the Spotlight window. But we don't... :(

Actually, there are only very few supported countries for this.

https://www.apple.com/ios/feature-avail ... uggestions

And

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread. ... 778&page=2
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote: No. It's about support.

For instance, if you type the name of a movie, or a concept you want to find in Wikipedia, you get movie times, reviews, etc., you get a Wikipedia summary right there in the Spotlight window. But we don't... :(

Actually, there are only very few supported countries for this.

https://www.apple.com/ios/feature-avail ... uggestions

And

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread. ... 778&page=2
I suppose they will expand the list of countries over time. I actually turned web access in Spotlight off. It wasn't that great. In fact it was quite annoying when I was just looking for something on the hard drive. I prefer using the traditional search methods for these things.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

bayswater wrote:
Even if you enable location services? What if you enable locations in your default search engine?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

cuttime wrote:
bayswater wrote:
Even if you enable location services? What if you enable locations in your default search engine?
It's enabled :(

Last night I spent hours figuring this out, switching things on and off, until I found out what seems to be going on (most countries not supported for this yet, as the link above shows).
bayswater wrote: I suppose they will expand the list of countries over time. I actually turned web access in Spotlight off. It wasn't that great. In fact it was quite annoying when I was just looking for something on the hard drive. I prefer using the traditional search methods for these things.
I hope so.

To tell you the truth, I might also end up disabling those functions when they are available (if ever) :lol:
I just hate the concept of not being able to do something when I test it, especially when a company deliberately decides which countries not to support.
I remember it was a similar situation back in the MobileMe days. And it still is with things like our Mexican iTunes store. It SUCKS. They don't have most things I want.

The other day I wanted to buy a book by Lawrence Krauss, and I was met with a STUPID box informing me that this book was not available in my f***** country :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake:

I've been thinking about using a Proxy or a VPN service to avoid these kind of things.

I'm glad I don't live in the Middle East, though. I can only imagine how it is over there...

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote:[The other day I wanted to buy a book by Lawrence Krauss, and I was met with a STUPID box informing me that this book was not available in my f***** country :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake:

I've been thinking about using a Proxy or a VPN service to avoid these kind of things.
That happens a lot here too. it's a matter of who has the rights to various things in the country you're in. A proxy helps, but a lot sites are starting to force you to establish an account with a local address, so you end up being cut out anyway. It wouldn't be so bad if the articles in question were available from a licence rights holder, but too often they're simply not available from anyone. Amazon is one of the worst offenders. They will sell an item made in Canada shipped from Canada for several times the price they sell it for in the US, still shipped from Canada. So much for NAFTA.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Does anyone know how to customize folder icons outside of the User directory? Specifically I am unable to use custom folders in system files, such as HD>Library>Audio>Plugins, even If I make sure I have write privileges. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to it as there are other system folder icons that I am able to modify. The Googler was unable to help me with this one.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

bayswater wrote:...a lot sites are starting to force you to establish an account with a local address, so you end up being cut out anyway. It wouldn't be so bad if the articles in question were available from a licence rights holder, but too often they're simply not available from anyone. Amazon is one of the worst offenders. They will sell an item made in Canada shipped from Canada for several times the price they sell it for in the US, still shipped from Canada. So much for NAFTA.
I use a service called 'Ship it To' for situations like that. So far, the service has been good and the cost reasonable.

http://www.shipito.com
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

BKK-OZ wrote: I use a service called 'Ship it To' for situations like that. So far, the service has been good and the cost reasonable.

http://www.shipito.com
Thanks for the tip.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

cuttime wrote:Does anyone know how to customize folder icons outside of the User directory? Specifically I am unable to use custom folders in system files, such as HD>Library>Audio>Plugins, even If I make sure I have write privileges. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to it as there are other system folder icons that I am able to modify. The Googler was unable to help me with this one.
I don't have any problems customizing the specific folder icon you mention by just pasting them into the Get Info window. I assume you mean that you can't get that icon to show up in the Finder sidebar? I can't customize those, except with a third party app like xtrafinder, and IIRC, you only get the icons that app uses.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

bayswater wrote:
cuttime wrote:Does anyone know how to customize folder icons outside of the User directory? Specifically I am unable to use custom folders in system files, such as HD>Library>Audio>Plugins, even If I make sure I have write privileges. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to it as there are other system folder icons that I am able to modify. The Googler was unable to help me with this one.
I don't have any problems customizing the specific folder icon you mention by just pasting them into the Get Info window. I assume you mean that you can't get that icon to show up in the Finder sidebar? I can't customize those, except with a third party app like xtrafinder, and IIRC, you only get the icons that app uses.
No, I can't get the custom icons to show up in the Finder at all using the Get Info method.