Have Bias Peak 6, need Peak 7!

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

greg328
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Have Bias Peak 6, need Peak 7!

Post by greg328 »

Not sure if this is "kosher" but I'm a long-time user of Bias Peak, all the way up to V. 6. Never updated to V. 7 in time before Bias went bust in 2012.

I'd like to get to Peak 7 but of course at this time there's no upgrade path currently. I'm still in OS 10.8 because if I go to 10.9 or 10.10 Yosemite I'll lose Peak 6. I'm understanding Peak 7 still operates under 10.9, not sure about 10.10! I hope so.

I do also own DSP-Quattro but I'd like to retain Bias Peak as I upgrade my OS. I've been putting it off for a long time.

So, since Bias is out of business, may I ask if anybody can send me a Peak 7 installer? I can probably use my current serial # and just upgrade to V. 7 I am a paid, registered user, so I hope this does offend anyone or violate any Motunation ethical rules! If so, ignore the request! :-)

PM and I'll send you my email,
Greg in Houston TX
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
mhschmieder

Re: Have Bias Peak 6, need Peak 7!

Post by mhschmieder »

Unfortunately, not quite kosher, as you suspected.

OTOH, one of the key people behind BIAS revived SoundSoap recently, and might be amenable to agreeing to your request and has authority to do so as I understand.

steve@soundness-llc.com

Soundness is the company he started for the SoundSoap revival, and he was a co-founder of BIAS (after which there "B" in the company's name comes). Great guy too. I'd send him your registration info and ask if he can help you out, describing your situation. Maybe to entice him further, offer to join the beta test team for any former BIAS product he revives or updates.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
billf

Post by billf »

mhschmieder wrote: OTOH, one of the key people behind BIAS revived SoundSoap recently, and might be amenable to agreeing to your request and has authority to do so as I understand.

steve@soundness-llc.com

Soundness is the company he started for the SoundSoap revival, and he was a co-founder of BIAS (after which there "B" in the company's name comes). Great guy too. I'd send him your registration info and ask if he can help you out, describing your situation. Maybe to entice him further, offer to join the beta test team for any former BIAS product he revives or updates.
I also am still with Peak Pro 6, so thanks for the contact info. I know that Steve has stated he might consider bringing back Peak, but that is probably subject to what sort of demand is out there. Personally, I'd love to see Peak resurrected.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
funkyfreddy

Post by funkyfreddy »

I was a registered user of Peak as well and now it won't work on my machine..... very disappointed :( I loved using Peak as an audio editor and used it for many years....
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 16 GB RAM OSX 11.2 Big Sur
UAD Apollo Quad DP11.22 some Waves, Soundtoys, Digital Performer 11.2, Reason 12, iZotope 11, and lots of real instruments to play :)
greg328

Post by greg328 »

I downloaded the trial peak 7, works fine in Yosemite. It prompted for serial #, so I'll try my V.6 serial and report back.
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Greg, that's great to hear.

Fear of Peak 7 breaking, is the biggest reason I'd be afraid to upgrade to Yosemite, as I have confidence my other products will have compatibility updates shortly since they are being actively developed.

I can't upgrade to Yosemite anyway, until I splurge on a larger, PCIe-based SSD vs. the one in my second optical bay that is close to maxed out (120 GB) due to the trend towards self-contained apps that don't rely on external dependencies. Most apps and plug-ins are from 500 MB to 1 GB in size these days. It adds up fast, even if everything else is cleared from your system drive (to the extent that that is possible or advisable/safe).

It might be necessary to open Peak first and fine its registered info, write it down, etc., just in case, but I do remember it having an authorization file that is stored on the hard disc and doesn't get erased by stuff (though a backup copy is advisable).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Well, I tried to use my Peak 6 serial # in the V7 trial version, it wouldn't accept it. I wrote Bias tech support, maybe Steve is still monitoring it. I pled my case, and now am hoping he'll help me get into Peak 7 somehow.

Can anybody clarify whether or not Peak 6 works in 10.9 or later? I'm still in 10.8.5 for fear of losing it!

Greg
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Peak 7 definitely works - it makes my purchase of DSP Quattro many years ago somewhat premature (I have never used it once). I am not sure I ever had Peak 6 - I upgrade to Peak 7 literally 1 month before they closed it down - and the guys at the company who sold it to me must have known what was coming - but that aside I have reported every change of OSX and whether Peak 7 still works. And it does. Wasn't the upgrade from Peak 6 required by the change to one of the OSX upgrades? If Peak 6 works in OSX 10.8.5 there is a good chance it may work in Yosemite. I would be happy to test it for someone if I could get hold of it somehow.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
greg328

Post by greg328 »

I can send you my V.6 app and serial, that might be enough to test. Would be great to know...
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

greg328 wrote:I can send you my V.6 app and serial, that might be enough to test. Would be great to know...
Happy to try - how would we do this?
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
billf

Post by billf »

Guitar Gaz wrote:Peak 7 definitely works - it makes my purchase of DSP Quattro many years ago somewhat premature (I have never used it once). I am not sure I ever had Peak 6 - I upgrade to Peak 7 literally 1 month before they closed it down - and the guys at the company who sold it to me must have known what was coming - but that aside I have reported every change of OSX and whether Peak 7 still works. And it does. Wasn't the upgrade from Peak 6 required by the change to one of the OSX upgrades? If Peak 6 works in OSX 10.8.5 there is a good chance it may work in Yosemite. I would be happy to test it for someone if I could get hold of it somehow.
FYI, Peak 6 Pro does work on 10.8.5, so a Yosemite test would be awesome.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Guitar Gaz wrote:
greg328 wrote:I can send you my V.6 app and serial, that might be enough to test. Would be great to know...
Happy to try - how would we do this?

Gaz,
I received your PM but it was empty..
??
Greg
AngliaUSA

Bias Peak 6, not working 100% with Yosemite

Post by AngliaUSA »

I am really pissed .. Peak 6 was working perfectly on Mavericks .. upgraded to Yosemite and now I have problems...

The cursor disappears on the audio doc - timeline and is invisible now (back on black) so you are forced to change the colors to get it to show up -

once you are done editing it is impossible to x off the work file you are are working on without force quitting the entire program ... everything freezes ...

so frustrating ... I love PEAK for VO work ... nothing else compares.
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Well, sorry for your woes, but you have proven what some of us fear--Upgrading to 10.10 will break Peak 6! However, I'm surprised it runs at all! I heard a while ago that going to 10.9 would break Peak 6 and render it inoperative, so I never did. It worked OK for you under 10.9?

Greg
billf

Re: Bias Peak 6, not working 100% with Yosemite

Post by billf »

AngliaUSA wrote:I am really pissed .. Peak 6 was working perfectly on Mavericks .. upgraded to Yosemite and now I have problems...
Sorry to hear that. Do you have a backup of your Mavericks boot drive?