Have Bias Peak 6, need Peak 7!

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

richalank
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Have Bias Peak 6, need Peak 7!

Post by richalank »

i've been using Peak 7 on my mid-2010 MacMini up thru Mavericks (Peak 6 seems to work ok on Mavericks also). I migrated to Yosemite and Peak 7 refused to close files anymore -- it would save them ok and basically workd to spec except for minor gui issues that I could probably live with, but I had to close the program every time I needed to close a file. I reverted back to Mavericks because I use Peak on a daily basis (doing mostly voice-over editing) and it just was making me crazy. I'd give a lot to see Peak updated....
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Basic Apple Toolkit issues. When developers ignore the basics, do you really need to keep spending money on them? I said, "Hell no!" After Peak 4 (a $700 upgrade because 3 wouldn't work in OS 10.3) wouldn't work in 10.5 and found other, less expensive ways to get the jobs done. If Peak 8 were ever to exist, it would have to include features found nowhere else and have a very low upgrade price to interest me. I don't expect either to happen.

Even though I qualify for an inexpensive upgrade to Sound Soap 3, I just have no desire to go there again. I'm not implying that SS3 isn't a good product. I just don't care. It's less expensive than RX but doesn't have as many tools.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

mikehalloran wrote:Even though I qualify for an inexpensive upgrade to Sound Soap 3, I just have no desire to go there again. I'm not implying that SS3 isn't a good product. I just don't care. It's less expensive than RX but doesn't have as many tools.
I'm leaning in that same direction, Mike. I just got an upgrade offer and I haven't decided yet whether or not to do the upgrade. Dunno. :?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Phil,

I have Izotope RX-3 and RX-4: excellent tools that make SoundSoap 3 redundant for me.

OTOH, if I had noisy recordings to clean and no other tools, the $49.95 upgrade or the $79.95 App Store price for SS3... well, one can do worse.

The best part of Peak 4 for me is that it allowed me the $49 crossgrade to DSP-Q. Other than that, when I lost the dongle, I threw the package away and never installed it on my current G4. I have no idea where Peak 3 went to -- this is from someone who can put his hand on his DP 4.1 installation CD.

Part of my point is that BIAS is no more, Peak has no support and that there is no functionality that doesn't exist in currently supported, better written tools. I can't say that I have ever missed it.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I hear ya. I'm still on RX 1. :shock:(Still working under Yosemite). I'll probably upgrade that and let Soundsoap fall by the wayside.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Phil O wrote:I hear ya. I'm still on RX 1. :shock:(Still working under Yosemite). I'll probably upgrade that and let Soundsoap fall by the wayside.

Phil
Whoa! RX-2 was such a resource hog but it never occurred to me to try RX-1 after I updated.
billf

Post by billf »

mikehalloran wrote:Peak has no support
That is mostly true. However I recently had a problem authorizing Peak 6 on a new Mac Pro, sent a ticket to Soundness, and they had me up and running in 15 minutes. So at least the licensing part they are supporting.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
DavidAL

Post by DavidAL »

I'm in the same boat as AngliaUSA and richalank. I was happily running Peak 6 and 7 on a 2006 Mac Pro under Lion but when I replaced the Mac Pro with a new iMac running Yosemite I've got precisely the problems they describe: inability to close files and vanished cursor. I also solved the latter by changing colours but I have not found a solution to the former.

I bought and upgraded Peak Pro because it was the best software for the tasks I have. Until I can find replacement software of a similar quality I guess I can work by saving edited files without closing any until the desktop becomes too crowded, when I can quit the program and restart.

I'd be grateful for any recommendations for replacement software; my work largely consists of recording audio, editing the captured files, removing unwanted material, changing levels, splitting files into tracks, sample rate conversion and archiving. One reason I chose Peak Pro (and upgraded to 7) was that it has very high quality sample rate conversion and excellent sound quality for playback.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I bought and upgraded Peak Pro because it was the best software for the tasks I have. Until I can find replacement software of a similar quality
Uhhh... if it no longer works, why would you want software of "similar quality"?

Sorry about that but I couldn't resist.

When I abandoned Peak, it was because there wasn't anything it did that I couldn't do in other programs. Some of them I already owned; others were less expensive than the upgrade that, in retrospect, I would have had to do two more times before I found myself in the same boat.

So... this begs the question: What functionality are you looking for that you think Peak does better than anything else (or would if it worked)?

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2012/06/b ... ernatives/
macbodock

Post by macbodock »

Hello All,
I have PeakLE 6.2 and 7.0 on my iMac (Not sure why I have both) Both seem to work ok... I opened a MP3 file and was able to apply various VST plugs and then save... However I have a Fast Track Pro and cannot get it to record into Peak LE 7 and I am not sure why... Looking for a replacement DAW that I can layer audio... Any ideas on either??

Thanks Guys!

JerryM thebigmouth
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Looking for a replacement DAW that I can layer audio..
What do you mean by "layer audio" that's different than the basic functionality of any DAW?

As far as your Fast Track Pro, AVID has new drivers on 12/16/2014. These might help.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_U ... ro-Drivers
Any ideas on either??
Without knowing the year, CPU and OS for your iMac, no. Per the AVID driver site, such things can all make a difference.
macbodock

Post by macbodock »

mikehalloran wrote:
Looking for a replacement DAW that I can layer audio..
What do you mean by "layer audio" that's different than the basic functionality of any DAW?

I am an old school kind of guy coming from a reel to reel 8 tracks on the tape to digital audio. PeakLE was the first and only DAW I've used. The thing about PeakLE is that I could layer or mix in to a single track and build from there. So layering on one track.

As far as your Fast Track Pro, AVID has new drivers on 12/16/2014. These might help.

Yes Ive downloaded and installed those drives, however I cannot get the audio directly into PeakLE.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_U ... ro-Drivers
Any ideas on either??
Without knowing the year, CPU and OS for your iMac, no. Per the AVID driver site, such things can all make a difference.
OS version 10.10.1
iMac 20" Early 2009, 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

am an old school kind of guy coming from a reel to reel 8 tracks on the tape to digital audio. PeakLE was the first and only DAW I've used. The thing about PeakLE is that I could layer or mix in to a single track and build from there. So layering on one track.
This is a basic function of any DAW.

There are many ways to do this in DP, for example. The easiest is possibly Bounce to Disk. You can set it so that the mix shows up as a new track automatically–you can then de-select the others so you don't hear them or remove them from your project if you don't want to see them either. There are other ways to accomplish similar results.
macbodock

Post by macbodock »

mikehalloran wrote:
There are many ways to do this in DP, for example. The easiest is possibly Bounce to Disk. You can set it so that the mix shows up as a new track automatically–you can then de-select the others so you don't hear them or remove them from your project if you don't want to see them either. There are other ways to accomplish similar results.
I think mikehalloran your missing the point. I don't want to use more than one track. I want to mix together all my audio items into one track. With Peak LE I had just a left and a right channel then I would mix into this track the various audio pieces. I know what your saying what an old way to do this...
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I understood you exactly. You misunderstood my reply.

To my knowledge, every DAW on the market does this easily. It's a basic function. that's why I asked my question.

I recommended Bounce to a Disk in DP because a) it's the easiest way I know and b) if using a SSD, it takes a few seconds. You can check a box to have the mix (which can be mono) show up in your track list automatically. You will have to deselect the other tracks -- removing them does take a single mouse action and one key stroke, however.

How easy do you want it?