How much RAM?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

prokeds
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How much RAM?

Post by prokeds »

Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, I did look around a bit before posting... I've just completed a long-overdue upgrade from a G5 running DP 5.13 to a mid-2012 Mac Pro Quad Core and DP 8. The new machine has the stock 6 GB RAM (3 2GB DIMMs, and one empty space). At the very least I'll fill the last slot, but should I aim higher and upgrade to 16 or even 32 GB by replacing all four DIMMs? My audio work consists of mainly classical recording projects using from 2-12 channels, and Waves plug-ins for mastering, reverb (IR-1) and Izotope Rx for taking care of noise issues. Rx, especially, can be resource-intensive, so I'm wondering if another 8 GB (or more) of additional RAM will really help out there...

Thanks,

prokeds
MacPro Mid-2012 8GB RAM/4TB HD, OS 10.11.6, DP 8.07, 828x, 4pre
daniel.sneed

Re: How much RAM?

Post by daniel.sneed »

AFAIK, Ram size is a real question about VIs.
Some VIs are Ram hogs, while others are not.

IMHO, if you work consists only on audio tracking an mixing, 6Go would be enough for DP and some plugins.

To make sure on this subject, you will open a *big* DP project and work on it while looking at Ram usage. You will use any Mac ram utility, such as Menumeters and the like.
As a general (and approximative) rule, if memory usage exceed 3/4, then increase ram size may help.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

More RAM is always desirable, but If you don't use VIs, and if all you're doing is only what you specified, I think you're all set with what you already have (the 6 GBs).

If you really feel your system needs it, go up to 8 by adding 2 more in the empty slot. I suppose going higher than that entails getting rid of all your sticks and getting new ones?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

With VI programs that are heavily scripted or sample intensive, give them their own channel (separate instances) as that will use multicore threading and reduce CPU load. I would imagine with plugs one should take similar care not to overload one channel with too many plugs. Maybe multiple bussing to aux tracks can similarly lighten the CPU load?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Maybe multiple bussing to aux tracks can similarly lighten the CPU load?
I'd be interested in knowing the answer, as well.

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

MIDI Life Crisis

Is a ? for Magic D.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I'd like to hear from Dave too.

I've tried it. Bus a channel to two auxes. Put 20 instances of some plugin on one of them, and look at CPU. Move 10 instances to the second aux and look again. It looks to me like 10 and 10, if anything uses more CPU than 20 and 0. I did it on a laptop with only two processors, but that ought to work if it's going to work at all.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

I just tried it on my system using a stereo track, bussed to an aux, then bussed the aux to another aux, and that to yet another. Inserted about 12 plugs in track one and spread them around a bit from aux to aux with no appreciable difference in the CPU hit. Apple Activity Monitor hovered around 50%, same as with all plugs on the main track with no bussing.

With VIs it definitely makes a big difference to have separate tracks, but plugs don't seem to matter in that regard (on my system at any rate). It may well be that with plugs, more RAM really is the answer.

Dave? (Dave's not here... yet.)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

I've got 8GB in the iMac listed below, don't use VI's, and with buffers of 128 or lower it seems that DP loses the ability to keep up long before activity monitor shows memory pressure over 20%, about the same for CPU usage. Raise the buffers and headroom will go up in DP. I haven't been able to overload CPU or RAM with higher buffers. Likewise with 2 plugs per channel I can't track 20 live inputs with buffers under 128 or DP will overload and shut down, no pressure whatsoever showing in activity monitor.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing