Mavericks 10.9.5 today

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mavericks 10.9.5 today

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Wasn't he a character in the Peanuts cartoon?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:
mhschmieder wrote:
It's easy for people on this board to forget how many people are in professions where computers are not omnipresent, and how easily intimidated those people are as well as how little it takes for them to run for the hills.

I predict a rush towards Linux in the next few years.
I can't reconcile those two statements.
I have to agree there. "Un-savvy" users aren't going to install Linux. I think most of these issues are fixed by just changing some security settings right? Even your most neophyte Mac user knows how to use Google to find the solution online in a forum posting somewhere, don't they?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

10.9.5 so far so good, here.
Will keep my eyes wide opened, though.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Updated to 10.9.5. Nothing to report, yet. However, I updated my wife's ML machine and got an iTunes AppleUSBEthernethost.kext error. Web searching revealed a major iTunes error. If you're interested:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/65 ... 5&tstart=0
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Well, you'd be surprised. Many of our users aren't savvy enough to navigate a website. I know it's hard to believe, but I think most of us either through self-selection or whatever, tend to be around fairly savvy computer users.

In my line of business, people are out in the field most of the time, working with hardware, mechanical stuff, audio stuff, but NOT computers. There may not be that many professions left like this, but I know an awful lot of people in lines of work where 95-99% of their time is still spent using traditional tools and methods. They might be comfortable with email, and that's as far as it goes.

The Linux statement wasn't for those people, but for those of us trying to get professional work done. I just feel we are more and more an extreme and insignificant minority from the point of view of the major vendors. But then again, we got surprised when the MacPro got updated as the rumors of its death had gone on for a few years. And those of us who belong to the developer networks can put up a stink, as we are doing, while also offering help (which we're also doing). It doesn't change the reality of our importance relative to typical consumers though.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mhschmieder wrote:The Linux statement wasn't for those people, but for those of us trying to get professional work done../quote]Understood.
mhschmieder wrote:Well, you'd be surprised. Many of our users aren't savvy enough to navigate a website.[
There are a lot of source of informal help for people that have such basic problems. And usually their needs are as basic as their skills.

But I do wonder how the proliferation of functions in OS X affect very basic user. I recall setting up a pre OS X Mac for my parents so that there was one screen with a few large icons. You could click on them once to run one app at a time. Sort of like the iPad.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

How to fix the Repaired “System/Library/CoreServices/Feedback Assistant.app” permissions after running Disk Utility and finding it didn't.

This is benign as most of them are. In fact, if you're not in the Beta Seed program, Feedback Assistant probably shouldn't have installed but it did and there are lots of complaints.

Anyway, if you like to see your permissions squeaky clean, here's how to do it:

Navigate to System/Library/CoreServices folder. You will see that Feedback Assistant.app is really an alias. Delete it. Next go to the Applications folder in CoreServices (System/Library/CoreServices/Applications). There you will find Feedback Assistant.app. Create a new Alias, drag it to System/Library/CoreServices. Do not change the name or remove the word alias.

Run Permissions Repair again. All fixed.

I'll leave it to others to debate whether Feedback Assistant.app should have been installed with OS 10.9.5. I suspect not but won't remove it.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro