iOS 8 today...

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: iOS 8 today...

Post by mikehalloran »

I have found a repeatable bug in iOS 8 and this web site.

If, when posting to MOTUNation from my iPad, I hit the Delete key four times in a row to make a correction, it locks Safari and I must reboot the browser.

I've not tried it on other web sites where I post but will soon.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Not so in Tapatalk and not in Safari on my iPhone 5S. Might be your hat that is being rejected. LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:I have found a repeatable bug in iOS 8 and this web site.

If, when posting to MOTUNation from my iPad, I hit the Delete key four times in a row to make a correction, it locks Safari and I must reboot the browser.

I've not tried it on other web sites where I post but will soon.
I'll have to check that out. It's only on iOS then? Perhaps it's the theme? Weird. Might be interesting to try an alternate browser and see if it happens.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I am now using Chrome in iOS 8 on my iPad Air and am not experiencing it. My first gen iPad is limited to iOS 5 and doesn't have it either.

I checked two other sites that I post to and did not experience it. One gave me a different issue: when I hit Return, it goes to the top of the page-- tapping the bottom with my finger movers the cursor to the correct position.

I got it again by going to this site in Safari on my iPad Air in iOS 8. Another weirdness is that, if I Select All to copy a block of text and try to change the size, the window blinks rapidly till I can get out of it.

I'm betting it's not the hat.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I don't have access to an iOS 8 device so I can't really test it much myself. Sounds like it might be a new Safari bug if it's not doing it in Chrome. :(

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Sounds like it might be a new Safari bug if it's not doing it in Chrome. :(
I've little doubt but, with FireFox going to a monotype font on this site only from my iMac, it is not just Safari in iOS 8 that is acting up.

Like the iOS 8/Safari issue, the Courier/Firefox issue only happens here. When I read, everything is fine but when I enter a reply, I get the weirdness. I tried three other sites where I post plus eBay. No other browser does it, either.

The workarounds are easy: Don't use Firefox or Safari over iOS 8 till this is fixed.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:
Sounds like it might be a new Safari bug if it's not doing it in Chrome. :(
I've little doubt but, with FireFox going to a monotype font on this site only from my iMac, it is not just Safari in iOS 8 that is acting up.

Like the iOS 8/Safari issue, the Courier/Firefox issue only happens here. When I read, everything is fine but when I enter a reply, I get the weirdness. I tried three other sites where I post plus eBay. No other browser does it, either.

The workarounds are easy: Don't use Firefox or Safari over iOS 8 till this is fixed.
I use Firefox exclusively for this site. I don't know of the editing window is meant to go to Courier or not. Never seemed like a big problem to me.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

With other browsers, the edit window uses the display font and looks as it will when you are done.

The issue for me that makes Firefox useless is not that it goes to Courier but that the Zoom function on my trackpad doesn't work. Again, only this site with Firefox.

The only reason I noticed this is that I was waiting for Safari to update to 7.1. Since Chrome opens 60 or more tabs (on purpose), I normally don't use it on weekends when not working. Otherwise, I only use Firefox to print PayPal shipping labels and to access the DMV as it performs so poorly in on many other sites. Since I dislike using FF, I don't care if this site is ever fixed to work properly with it.

The iOS 8/Safari freeze, otoh, is an issue. I type slowly with one hand and often post from my iPad. If it affects other sites, enough people will complain to Apple -- if it is an Apple bug instead of bad code that Safari exposed.
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

Does anybody know if the new iPhone 6 with ios 8 will sync up to iTunes 11.3.1? I am still on Snow Leo and crash free for about 2 years now.
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

itunes didn't see my iphone 6 until I upgraded to itunes 11.4
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Just heard that if you have an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus, you should NOT update to iOS 8.01. It breaks the cellular connection for some people and Touch ID. Earlier iPhones apparently are okay.

http://www.zdnet.com/apple-issues-ios-8 ... 000034016/

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Thanks for the heads-up. I don't have a 6 but saw the update earlier - now it's gone.

Update 11:28am Pacific time: Apple has pulled iOS 8.01. We’ll update you when it comes back.

Anyway, here's what it's supposed to do:

Apple released an update to the latest version of its mobile operating system iOS 8, and then almost as quickly pulled it.

The new version, 8.01, fixes a number of problems, chief among them a bug in Apple’s consumer health data platform HealthKit.

However, the new update also came with some new problems. Several people who have downloaded the update say they are now having problems with the iPhone’s fingerprint reader, and several others report that the update is causing interruption of cellular service.

A slew of HealthKit-based apps were supposed to show up in the app store last week, but a last-minute bug in HealthKit prevented their releases. Many of the apps removed the HealthKit technology so that they could launch on schedule with iOS 8.

The HealthKit problem now fixed, the apps can build HealthKit integration back in. Some developers VentureBeat has spoken with say their updated apps will launch next week.

The new update intends to resolve a number of issues, including:

Fixes a bug so HealthKit apps can now be made available on the App Store
Addresses an issue where 3rd party keyboards could become deselected when a user enters their passcode
Fixes an issue that prevented some apps from accessing photos from the iPhoto Library
Improves the reliability of the Reachability feature on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus