Some quick SSD Advice? My boot drive died!

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Some quick SSD Advice? My boot drive died!

Post by James Steele »

Update! Well, I lucked out. I installed the Samsung 840 EVO 250GB just as HC Markus suggested. I moved the DVD drive down to the lower bay and then used it as a shelf for the Samsung SSD. I used velcro to hold it in place.

After installing, I went looking to see if I had the Mavericks installer anywhere on my drivers and that's when I found my disk image of my boot drive I made with Carbon Copy Cloner on 8/28!! I couldn't find it before. CCC was able to do a block-level clone to the new drive. I set the Samsung as my startup disk, rebooted and It all seems to be working again!

The only issue I foresee is that my audio plug-ins that use disc authorization will likely need to be reauthorized as I'm sure they'll see that they're now on a different drive. I haven't tried launching DP8, but I'll wager I'll need to reauthorize it, too. I don't mean to go there, but honestly this is one thing that really make me appreciate my plugs that use iLok and why I personally will always choose the iLok option if a manufacturer offers it. New drive... no problem. If the iLok is somewhere on the USB buss, your plug-ins just work!

Well... now it's time to launch DP and play the "hunt-for-plugs-I-need-to-reauthorize" game! Thanks to everyone in this topic who gave advice and assistance. Liking this Samsung so far. My Accelsior seems just dead to the world. I tried cleaning out the slots, re-seating the card and Disk Utility can't even find it.

P.S. First thing I did was install Trim Enabler and send Cindori $10. Seems worth it for what a great little piece of software it is.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Back in business! :)
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:Back in business! :)
Indeed... thanks again to you, and the others in this topic! Next thing I have to do when I actually can afford it is the processor upgrade! :)

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

frankf wrote:OWC states no need for Trim:
http://blog.macsales.com/21641-with-an- ... d-for-trim
But any other brand that listers here like Jim are using successfully I'm sure would be fine. Just need to check out the TRIM issue.
I have posted extensively on this before Frank, but feel I must do my civic duty to repieat that TRIM is a WINNNER for ALL SSDs that support it, including those bearing the OWC name. Ask the guys who make the Sandforce controller that is the heart of the OWC SSDs.

Just sayin'.
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

James Steele wrote:The only issue I foresee is that my audio plug-ins that use disc authorization will likely need to be reauthorized as I'm sure they'll see that they're now on a different drive. I haven't tried launching DP8, but I'll wager I'll need to reauthorize it, too.
Most probably. I just finished my upgrade of my 5,1 thanks to HCMarcus advice. I ended up with all SSDs on PCI cards (PCI can do 6Mb/sec vs 3 for the regular drawer slots) and as I ended up with a different set of volumes (sizes and names changed) I've spent the last week re-authorizing my software and reconfiguring all the sample based stuff so it can find its files (worst being Kontakt 5 - what a stupid program). I'm almost ready to try making music again. What a pain. I'm with you on the ilok thing.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
frankf

Post by frankf »

HCMarkus wrote:
But any other brand that listers here like Jim are using successfully I'm sure would be fine. Just need to check out the TRIM issue.
I have posted extensively on this before Frank, but feel I must do my civic duty to repieat that TRIM is a WINNNER for ALL SSDs that support it, including those bearing the OWC name. Ask the guys who make the Sandforce controller that is the heart of the OWC SSDs.

Just sayin'.
I hear and heard you HC. Maybe it's time for me to try it on one of my OWC SSDs. Do you know if TRIM is enabled by Apple on the latest MacBook Pros?
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

frankf wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:

Just sayin'.
I hear and heard you HC. Maybe it's time for me to try it on one of my OWC SSDs. Do you know if TRIM is enabled by Apple on the latest MacBook Pros?
My understanding is Apple only enables TRIM for Apple original equipment SSDs (including SandForce based SSDs, by the way), so if one wishes to Trim an aftermarket drive, Terminal or an app like Trim Enabler is required.

Disk Utility will trim SSDs as part of the Repair Disk process if Trim is enabled before repair. The Boot Drive can't be repaired, so you must boot from another drive to repair the boot SSD. Make sure Trim is enabled on that boot drive, too!

If you want to Trim an existing boot SSD ("A") that has been running without Trim, first enable Trim while booted from A, then boot into a separate drive ("B"), enable Trim while booted on B, then run Disc Utility "Repair Disc" on A. Then re-boot into A and you are good to go. Keep Trim enabled to realize the continuing benefit it offers.

As noted by HFG at MacRumors:
- select the formatted disk, not the top-level disk to "repair".
- "trim" should be enabled
- the SSD being repaired must be on a trim-capable interface (i.e. NOT in a USB 3.0 dock or enclosure)

At the end of the repair status messages, you will see a message that all free space has been trimmed.
Enabling Trim using Trim Enabler turns on Trim for all SSDs that are connected via a Trim-capable interface.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

FWIW, I still have my user folder on an different (conventional) drive. That was a necessity when I was using the 120GB Accelsior, but I'm thinking of keeping it this way. I have a LOT of emails, etc. I know you CAN move your iPhone library do a different drive by itself, but still not sure I would gain anything by putting my user folder back on the SSD. :?:

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

There are recent reports recommending Trim for all drives that support it including the latest from Samsung, Crucial and Sandforce. In all cases, the drives are faster and maintain their speed longer between refresh cycles. I found a recent set of test results that bear this out but don't recall the link. I'll look for it again.
- the SSD being repaired must be on a trim-capable interface
Trim only works with SSDs and blades via PCIe and SATA. eSATA is the only external protocol supported (the Mac recognizes it as an internal drive).

It doesn't work over Thunderbolt, USB and Ethernet. There are many reports that say this is incorrect - perhaps it is but I can't find a knowledgeable source on that subject.

It does work through a PCIe expansion chassis over Thunderbolt beginning with OS 10.8.

http://www.mactrast.com/2013/11/enable- ... mavericks/
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote: Trim only works with SSDs and blades via PCIe and SATA. eSATA is the only external protocol supported (the Mac recognizes it as an internal drive).

It doesn't work over Thunderbolt, USB and Ethernet. There are many reports that say this is incorrect - perhaps it is but I can't find a knowledgeable source on that subject.
Mike, I assume this includes FW800. I have to replace the drive in an external FW800 case and was thinking that, although there is no speed advantage, maybe I'd put an SSD in it. The prices are OK, the life span is comparable, and at some point, I'll update to a Mac that can use it as an internal drive. I'd also get a drive that is quiet and could be run without spinning down. So aside from price, there doesn't seem to be a good reason to keep buying mechanical drives any more.

But from what you say it may not be a good idea?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

It's a potential issue for drives that have a lot of writes and overwrites such as a system drive or where you store your work product (files, documents edits etc). SSDs don't overwrite until Garbage Collection (NAND managed in the drive) or TRIM (OS managed) tell the drive it's ok.

For a sound library drive that gets very few writes ever, new files and updates only, this is not really an issue. As long as there's Garbage Collection, it will eventually get around to freeing up drive space without Trim.

Thinking of my Sound Libraries Drive, I've written to it, what... 40 times ever?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I have drives I've written to once. :lol:
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

With a Mac Pro 4.1 you might want to buy an adaptor for the PCIe slot and instal the SSD there.
the SATA bus on that model is 3gbs and the PCIe is at 5+gbs. The newer 6g SSDs can use that speed. I know this because I've been researching SSDs for a while and also have the 4.1 series.
Basically you'll get about 300mbs with the SATA slots, and up to 550gbs with the PCIe slot. You can switch to it later if you want, the PCIe converter cards for a regular SSD cost about +/- $80. Your Mac Pro will still boot from it.

A couple things:
The whole issue of SSDs wearing out is pretty much a smoke and mirrors routine. a regular hard drive isn't guaranteed for any longer length of time than an SSD.

There's a new type of SSD that's ridiculously fast; twice as fast read speeds to regular SSDs. So far the best price and description of the speed difference comes from this Aussie store:
https://www.ramcity.com.au/buy/samsung- ... HCGL-00000
They're compatible with Mac Pro's back to 08!
Loading large string libraries etc. this would be amazing for!
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8570/firm ... tober-15th

Samsung fix reportedly to arrive 10/15:
We acknowledge the recent issue associated with the Samsung 840 EVO SSDs and are qualifying a firmware update to address the issue. While this issue only affects a small subset of all 840 EVO users, we regret any inconvenience experienced by our customers. A firmware update that resolves the issue will be available on the Samsung SSD website soon. We appreciate our customer’s support and patience as we work diligently to resolve this issue.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:http://www.anandtech.com/show/8570/firm ... tober-15th

Samsung fix reportedly to arrive 10/15:
We acknowledge the recent issue associated with the Samsung 840 EVO SSDs and are qualifying a firmware update to address the issue. While this issue only affects a small subset of all 840 EVO users, we regret any inconvenience experienced by our customers. A firmware update that resolves the issue will be available on the Samsung SSD website soon. We appreciate our customer’s support and patience as we work diligently to resolve this issue.
That's cool. I can't wait to see what the method is to update the firmware. It would be great if you could do it just by launching an app and rebooting without having to wipe the drive, etc.