Keyboard for modern Mac (data entry, not music)

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Keyboard for modern Mac (data entry, not music)

Post by mikehalloran »

OK, my iMac wired keyboard is dead. Spilled coffee makes some not work and a couple of letters have rubbed off. Popping each key and cleaning it is out of the question for me as it requires two hands or too much $ if I pay someone to do it for me.

I'm getting by with an older Matias TactilePro that I use with my G4. The F keys don't work with newer Macs and those precision keys are not conducive to one-handed typing -- besides they're way too noisy for me.

I see a whole list of choices at Amazon and am open to suggestion. It can be wireless but must have a built-in numeric keypad (or else, I'd use the Apple wireless that came with this).

I don't mind the Apple unit except for letters wearing off and the inability to clean.

Any suggestions?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
BKK-OZ

Re: Keyboard for modern Mac (data entry, not music)

Post by BKK-OZ »

I know it's from the evil empire and all, but I like my MS ergo keyboard: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-au ... board-4000
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

BKK-OZ wrote:I know it's from the evil empire and all, but I like my MS ergo keyboard: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-au ... board-4000
Ergonomic keyboards can't work for me as I only have one working arm and hand but thanks for the suggestion.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Haptics?
(Leap, etc.)
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Anyone have experience with this one?

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/w ... ac?crid=26

I'm not so keen on the fact that it requires its own wireless receiver instead of Bluetooth but otherwise, it looks good.
billf

Post by billf »

Hey Mike,

I was just in the market for a mechanical keyboard, and got this one. No extensive use yet, but it feels good and is made for Macs

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZG9T62/ref ... 60_TE_dp_1
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
leigh

Post by leigh »

mikehalloran wrote:Anyone have experience with this one?

I'm not so keen on the fact that it requires its own wireless receiver instead of Bluetooth but otherwise, it looks good.
I think MLC has one and once recommended it.

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I wound up getting a new Apple keyboard.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB110 ... aa7d632ae1

Among the reasons are that, when typing one-handed, my fingers would hit the sides of tall keys found in most keyboards - the low profile Apple keyboard doesn't have that issue. In addition, I could find a key cover to protect it against spills and key wear.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQV ... UTF8&psc=1

I'm not certain that I like this cover - it's too thick - but it's the only one I could find in clear. At $2, I wasn't expecting much.

The new keyboard has a different function for the F4 key. I started another thread on that since it is a broader issue.
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=58207
MIDI Life Crisis

Logitech k750 Keyboard.

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

leigh wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:Anyone have experience with this one?

I think MLC has one and once recommended it.

**Leigh
Hey kids. Resurrecting this thread to report that the good old black K750 was acting up. Could be a bad transmitter and it could be the internal (ML2032) rechargable battery. In any event, I was off to Best Buy today and snagged a white version. I'll try replacing the battery. It's not your run of the mill CR2032 and using that would be a disaster! Still, it's a good keyboard and I hate to see it in the dumpster if all it needs is a $6 part.

THAT SAID... the white keyboard seems to have a little different feel to it. Also, the keyboard is clearly different than the black one I bought some 3 or 4 years ago. I know it's a different model keyboard because the CAPS LOCK key has a raised face on the white one and is flat on the black one. It also feels different, with a bit more resistance (less false key stokes).

Shooshie and I discussed the white v. black K750s and my take was it just only a color difference. I was mistaken and the white keyboard today does seem just a little different in a good way. I also need less light to see the keys in a dark studio, so that's a plus as well.

That's all. Just my geek moment of the early part of the day... LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I was surprised to see that this thread is two years old.

I wound up buying this keyboard cover for my replacement Apple keyboard. It seemed to be rated higher by everyone.
http://www.moshi.com/keyboard-protector ... #us-layout

The keyboard feel is not quite as good as with no cover but it's pretty good and much, much better than the silicone cheapo that preceded it. I've dripped some coffee on it a couple of times and it cleans up easily so I'm glad it's there. Having seen my wife's keyboard lately, I should get another of these covers.

If this or my wife's keyboard goes south, I'll buy one of those white Logitechs at half the price. I find white much easier to read.