DP8 doesn't play Apple soft synth

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

_Ddan_
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP8 doesn't play Apple soft synth

Post by _Ddan_ »

Hi all, at times on Mavericks I attempt to use the internal Quicktime Synth but although selected in the Interapplication MIDI Set Up it just doesn't play anything
Am'i gone crazy or there are some new parameters to enable in order to play those files
Safari also doesn't play it ... while VLC does, but I want to see the files in DP
How to do it?

Thanks a lot
mikehalloran

Re: DP8 doesn't play Apple soft synth

Post by mikehalloran »

Do you have QT 7.6.6 installed in your Utilities folder?

If not, find it, download and install. It's free and the installer will place it where it belongs. It will interfere with QT 10 if placed in the Applications folder on OS 10.6 through current.

If you have QT 7.7, it hasn't worked since OS 10.5.x. Trash it and find 7.6.6.

QT 7.6.6 will take a QT Pro key for 6 or 7 on the Mac. Neither the 5 Pro nor Windows keys will enable QT Pro on a Mac.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Maybe I'm not understanding your issue.

When I want to play the Quicktime Synth in DP8, I go to:

Project/Add Track/Instrument Track/Apple/DLSMusicDevice

This lets me assign the DLS device as a MIDI track output without using interapplication stuff.

Not sure what kinds of files you are trying to use.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
_Ddan_

Post by _Ddan_ »

HI Mike ... I have the correct quicktime however I moved it to the apps folder. May this be the problem?
It doesn't work in Snow but I will place it back in UTILS to see what happens. However in Mavericks 10.9.4 it just doesn't work although is in the UTILS folder.My QT7 is the proper one a genuine PRO version which I paid for and upgraded since day 1, paying to Mr Jobs and then to Mr Cooks but they seem to believe my money (and everyone else's) is only a bonus and they use as they please.

Talking MIDI in general in Mavericks all browsers only allows listening MIDI through Java else every single MIDI file from the net
But this Java trick does not work for DP8, and even for all browsers.

I had to create an Applescript so at each launch to erases the Java Prefs and reinstall it. Else it no longer works.

Firefox allows downloading MIDI all the time to then export it through QT as a Standard MIDI file.
Is there anything one can do to simply allow MIDI to play with every app in this ridiculous system the created?

I use a variety of softwares for my film work and this is really bad ... I have no abilities with Windows since I went from Apple][ directly to MAC hence I don't know how to Bootcamp and similarities hence find it hard to use Windows ( I am stupid and 71 yrs old so)

Thanks a lot

Dan
Last edited by _Ddan_ on Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Ddan_

Post by _Ddan_ »

stubbsonic ....
Well ... to be able to use DSL I need to load the MIDI file then assign various DSL instruments to use them as an output for the MIDI
However this is totally time consuming and perhaps Motu people should create an automated system so that Standar MIDI files will automatically load in the appropriate DSL instruments
This cause at times I have several different versions even of the same file so loading each time DSL instruments and loosing all the infos on the patches and so on becomes a real tame waste paramount.
Do you have a good suggestion such as creating a template where I can simply open the MIDI and everything will sit into place or you also process the MIDI file as I do (one by one)?

Also as Motu knows MIDI is simply gone after Lion they should tell the INTERAPPLICATION MIDI function is no longer working as they can check which system is using the app ---- but of course this is only a thought ...
Dan
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I have the correct quicktime however I moved it to the apps folder. May this be the problem?
I don't know but likely. The installer places it in the Utilities folder for a very good reason.

QT 10, part of the OS, will not work properly (at all?) if QT 7.6.6 is in the Applications Folder.

If you feel the need, you can put an alias to 7.6.6 anywhere you like.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I suppose you could use clippings-- and have a chunk that is a V-rack with only the DLS MusicDevice as a channel.

When you load the MIDI track, select all the tracks (just hitting COMMAND-a) , then use SHIFT- UP/DOWN arrows to go through the devices. It will keep the channel assignments and allow you to quickly choose the DLS synth for all tracks in just a few taps.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com