to SSD or not to SSD

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: to SSD or not to SSD

Post by HCMarkus »

I think the EVO line or the Crucial MX100 probably offer endurance enough for most folks, and the prices are sweet! If I needed any SSDs at present, I'd be tempted by the EVO 1TB M-SATA drive and that PCIe card I posted about awhile back…. http://www.addonics.com/products/ad4mspx2.php
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I saw that. mSATA isn't one of my options but the 840 Pro has just come down in price to around $400 for 1T.

My iMac has an eSATA port installed by OWC but, being a 2010, it has SATA II and is limited to only 3G. (only? 10 years ago, I still had a beige G3 :lol: )

Also, checking the link I posted yesterday, I see that the Extreme just dropped $30 from yesterday's price of $575. I am liking this trend.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

HCMarkus wrote:If I needed any SSDs at present, I'd be tempted by the EVO 1TB M-SATA drive and that PCIe card I posted about awhile back…. http://www.addonics.com/products/ad4mspx2.php
Thanks for that HCMarkus.
Has anyone tried this combo?
I want to add a PCIe SSD to my Mac pro 4,1 early 2009 2x2.26 quad core.
The PCIe route is better than installing in a drive bay, yes-no?
Any recommendations or advice anyone has is welcome.

Bonus question:
How come when I type 'SSD' into the search box here, I get zero results?
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Here's info on the firmware patch Samsung has release for their EVO drives:

http://techreport.com/review/27212/sams ... h-old-data

Note that the patch is for Wondows only, but a version for Mac users uis supposed o be released by month's end.

I'm going to post in a few threads here, as this issue has been discussed at some length, and the fix is important (although, as noted in the linked article, impossible to test if it resolves the problem as the problem involves older data only.)