Transfer to new Mac

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Julia123
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Transfer to new Mac

Post by Julia123 »

I will be transferring or re downloading manually all of my music software to a new Mac in a few weeks. (not sure yet how this will work - I think I just go to each site and download?) I will also want to transfer all of my plug in settings. I would like to keep my current set up functioning until the new one is up and running. I've never done this before, all of this stuff was purchased and used only from this computer. Any warnings before I start? I'm not sure which companies won't allow me to run their software on two computers at once either. BTW, All my sounds are on my Mac except Omnisphere, Play, and 9V audio, which are stored on firewire/USB drives. I'm really dreading this since I'm not very computer savvy. Thanks.

This is what I have:

DP8 of course
Play EW libraries (iLOK 2nd Gen.)
Kush UBK 1 (iLOK 2nd Gen.)
Addictive Drums
Omnisphere
Stylus RMX
9V Audio - Stylus/Kontact add-ons
Eereckon Earebound
Izotope: Alloy, Nectar, Ozone 5, Stutter Edit

DSP Quattro

Garage Band FX AU's (soundflower)
iMac 27" 4.2 GHz i7 1TB SSD. 40 GB RAM. Apogee One.
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Transfer to new Mac

Post by HCMarkus »

Others will be able to give more feedback on how to accomplish the transfer; I simply want to emphasize that your idea of setting up the new machine and checking it out thoroughly BEFORE switching the old machine out is the way to go.

When setting up your new machine, you have an ideal opportunity to carefully plan your approach to file and resource management. Consider SSD storage for boot and sample drives, and working project drive as well if you can afford it. Plan a robust backup strategy with multiple backup drives and consider off-site or cloud storage as well. Research issues you may encounter if switching from 32 to 64 bit operation (i.e. plug-in compatibility - upgrades may be required) and be sure to load your new machine with lots of memory so you can make the most of 64 bit DP.

What computer are you gonna' get Julia? Whatever it is, take your time and test carefully. When you are ready to rock the new beast, its a lot more enjoyable to hit the ground running.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Julia123

Post by Julia123 »

Thanks! I'm looking at the latest iMac 27" i7. From what I gathered I should try to get a SSD drive instead of the fusion the one I'm looking at comes with. I'm still not sure though, the Apple store has a nice deal with the 3TB fusion drive. I plan to max out the RAM after I purchase it. I would love to go all out and get the new Mac Pro but I would also need a monitor and it's just too much $$. I really do want to pay attention as I go to where my files are going, and to setting up a system I can keep organized. I've got quite a mess going on this current set up.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Julia, I wouldn't want to see you go through what I went through...

BEFORE you purchase a 3rd party SSD (such as an OWC one), make sure you are up to doing the operation and installing it yourself (watch their videos. They make it look easier than it really is). Depending on your computer model, it can be anywhere from very easy to extremely complicated to do (one iMac model required a glass vent to take out the whole screen, among other things).
If it's too complicated, I suggest hiring an Apple Certified center where they can do it for you without burning your Apple warranty.
If you can't find such a place, then you will be better off paying a higher price in the Apple store and have them do it for you, so you get your machine the way you want it without extra hassle (that's what I would've done had I know what was going to happen afterwards)
I recently went through all that and, if things are there the way they are here, it won't be any fun. Believe me...

Having said that, and SSD for the system drive is a no brainer. Your machine will be flying with that thing! DP starts in just a few seconds 8)

If you can get another one for your samples that would be even better (they load so fast!).
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Julia123

Post by Julia123 »

FMiguelez wrote:Julia, I wouldn't want to see you go through what I went through...

BEFORE you purchase a 3rd party SSD (such as an OWC one), make sure you are up to doing the operation and installing it yourself (watch their videos. They make it look easier than it really is). Depending on your computer model, it can be anywhere from very easy to extremely complicated to do (one iMac model required a glass vent to take out the whole screen, among other things).
If it's too complicated, I suggest hiring an Apple Certified center where they can do it for you without burning your Apple warranty.
If you can't find such a place, then you will be better off paying a higher price in the Apple store and have them do it for you, so you get your machine the way you want it without extra hassle (that's what I would've done had I know what was going to happen afterwards)
I recently went through all that and, if things are there the way they are here, it won't be any fun. Believe me...
Thanks for the warning!!
Having said that, and SSD for the system drive is a no brainer. Your machine will be flying with that thing! DP starts in just a few seconds 8)

If you can get another one for your samples that would be even better (they load so fast!).
So dreams really do come true!!
The only problem is while DP loads (or anything else), I get my piano practice in to keep me from watching my screen---- It's gotten to be a habit I'll be happy to give up.
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

I recently went from OSX 10.6.8 to 10.8.5

- on my old Core 2 Duo, I fixed permissions and then did a complete backup using 'Carbon Copy Cloner' to an external hard drive.(CCC calls it 'cloning', I believe.

- on the new computer (a 2009 Mac Pro 8-core) I totally erased and did a single partition on the drive I would be putting my 'cloned' drive onto. This would be my 'system' drive. (...it has DP on it, etc. etc.)

- I used CCC to transfer everything (they have great directions on their website) and then I had the new computer working fine.

- next, I updated the OSX to Mountain Lion. I had to buy 10.8.5 from the Apple App store. It went well.

- then, you have to do the various upgrades depending on your other software and V.I's, and some will definitely need to be upgraded to the new system.

It should go well, and the hardest part is sitting around biting your nails waiting for it all to magically happen!

Tip: spend for a Solid State Drive inside the iMac! ... and, probably get them for your external drives too with the proper hookups, etc. etc. (look at the OWC website for guidance)
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Unless you are looking at used or the Refurb Store, get the SSD Flash. Use Thunderbolt or USB 3 to add additional drives (mechanical or SSD). You have a ton of options that way.

Replacing internal drives on an iMac is a very tricky process involving suction cups (2009 on), glue and a heat gun (2012 on).

The 3T Fusion isn't bad as long as you get AppleCare to go with it. It is not the best of both worlds, however - it's just both worlds. You can add a 3T External for not much money - and then you have the best of both worlds.

Porting over:

Use Migration Assistant or Time Machine to copy everything over if you are not doing a clean install. Your files will port right over as will your applications and settings.

Anything with an iLok will work on the other machine once you have set up the iLok License Manager. DP will need re-authorization, no big deal there.

As for everything else, if there is a way to de-activate the license, do it. With most such programs, failure to do so first will have you calling Tech Support if you don't. Once you have re-activated on the other machine, then it is time to see what runs on both by re-activating on the old computer. Some plugs let you run up to 5 installations before you have to call support.

If you can't deactivate the license first (Izotope - but they allow a few so not a problem), don't worry about it unless you have a problem - and then you'll be talking to support anyway.

I do not like 'clean installs' because transferring your settings is quite difficult nowadays. Much easier to deal with what (if anything) doesn't work on the new machine.

If doing a clean install, do not transfer any file that you haven't zipped first (click on the folder and Archive). This is especially true for DP and Word. If not, you will be dealing with permission issues and other headaches.

Using Migration Assistant or restoring from Time Machine will not cause you any of these problems.

Do not clone your old drive onto a new machine unless the OS is 100% compatible - and then it's still a bad idea.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Julia123

Post by Julia123 »

Thanks all for the great advice! I do need to do the installs one by one because I have too many odd issues with my current computer. I'm planning on ordering the computer with the 256GB SSD.

It looks like the SSD externals are just too expensive. I was told this 2TB Thunderbolt/10K dual drive is a nice fast option.
http://www.electronista.com/articles/12 ... rformance/

So far my choice for sounds after looking at the OWC web site is between the above, or two separate 1TB USB 3.0's. Both choices run between $400 & $500 for the 2Tb total, so it's just a matter of which is a better option. If I went with the two separate USB's, I'm thinking it would be good to keep my Omnisphere on one and PLAY on the other and the rest evenly mixed between. I'm not sure it this would be an advantage in this set up? (Right now my big sounds are on a Firewire 800 and I do see they have converters, I'm considering trying that first to see what results I get--not sure) In addition to this, I would want a second drive to be my main drive for everything other than sounds. Same choice, USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt 10K. Is going one way better than the other?

Also, it looks like I have to dump my 8GB RAM that comes with the computer and purchase the pre-paired sets to upgrade to 32GIG? I'm just confirming this is so?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Best bang for the buck right now is USB 3. You can get a 1T SSD SandForce external around $500 plus shipping.

$40 for one of these:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/NewerTec ... Drive_Dock

$460 for one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electroni ... ds=ssd+1tb

I would not get a 2T 10K rpm mechanical external for $900. To quote David Johansen as his alter ego, Buster Poindexter, these run "Hot! Hot! Hot!"
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Julia123

Post by Julia123 »

mikehalloran wrote:Best bang for the buck right now is USB 3. You can get a 1T SSD SandForce external around $500 plus shipping.
I'm not seeing an external SSD with Sandforce coming up in my searches? I see that Sandforce is a component of SSD's but not sure what to look for in my searches perhaps.
mikehalloran wrote:$40 for one of these:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/NewerTec ... Drive_Dock
This is great! I have a Blue WD10EALX SATA that measures 4" in an external enclosure with all of my PLAY library sounds on it. Is this the same kind of drive? (I'm guessing it's 3/5" inside the casing - I'm not very tech literate.:-) Currently that is connected through Firewire 800.
mikehalloran wrote:I would not get a 2T 10K rpm mechanical external for $900. To quote David Johansen as his alter ego, Buster Poindexter, these run "Hot! Hot! Hot!"
Thanks for the warning! I'll be passing on that then.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The external dock will take either a 3.5" or 2.5" form factor internal drive. They drop in - literally, the drive sits upright and exposed. All SATA SSDs are 2.5" form, btw. Being exposed, there are no fans.

Do not confuse with mSATA - those fit on a special PCIe card and are not compatible.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Julia123 wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:Best bang for the buck right now is USB 3. You can get a 1T SSD SandForce external around $500 plus shipping.
I'm not seeing an external SSD with Sandforce coming up in my searches? I see that Sandforce is a component of SSD's but not sure what to look for in my searches perhaps.
The following is off the top of my head, subject to at least a few (hopefully nominal) errors.

SandForce is the branding on an SSD controller chip made by LSI (recently purchased by another tech firm) that has its pros and cons. Many SSD manufactures use the SandForce controller and firmware, as it simplifies design/production. Intel uses the SandForce controller in some of its drives (330, 520, 530) with its own validated version of the firmware.

Marvell makes another line of commonly used controller chips; many manufacturers use a Marvell chip, some with proprietary firmware and most with fine results. Crucial's M500 (replaced by MX100) and M550 are very cost-effective SSDs using this approach.

Samsung, which also offers good bang for the buck these days, uses its own controller and firmware.

SandForce chips incorporate a compression scheme that allows SSDs to perform very fast with compressible data, which includes WAV, AIFF and OS files. Performance drops when dealing with incompressible data (MP3, most video formats, some VI sample sets.)

SandForce based SSDs perform well over time without Trim, but will generally do even better with TRIM enabled (Google "Trim Enabler" - free download.)

Non-SandForce based SSDs are best when used with Trim enabled. Read and Write speeds are not as dependent on the type of data being transferred as are SandForce based SSDs.

Almost all of today's SSDs perform very well. When moving from old-style spinning HD's, you will be amazed. Always buy SATA3 SSDs, even if running them in an older Mac. SATA3 drives are fully compatible with the SATA2 ports on older Mac Pros.

Read this: http://www.storagereview.com/best_drives
Julia123

Post by Julia123 »

Thank you so much for the great information! I'm still sorting it all out.
darrell

Post by darrell »

I know this is going off-topic. I just bought an internal 500 GB Samsung 840EVO, and am going to use it only for storing samples. Am I going to need to go through the whole migration thing, or can I just stick it in, format it, and copy samples to it?
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

darrell wrote:I know this is going off-topic. I just bought an internal 500 GB Samsung 840EVO, and am going to use it only for storing samples. Am I going to need to go through the whole migration thing, or can I just stick it in, format it, and copy samples to it?
You should be able to simply copy the samples over, then point your VI to the new location.