buying Mac G4 Powerbook laptop

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

jerryclifft
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

buying Mac G4 Powerbook laptop

Post by jerryclifft »

Are there dis-advantages to buying a 17" G4 Powerbook vs. buying a 15" (besides cost)?

Are there predictable problems when running the Motu 896 hd?

Is there a "consumer reports" resource listing pros and cons or reliability statistics of different Mac laptops.
Does anyone know of other forums like unicornation?
sdemott

Re: buying Mac G4 Powerbook laptop

Post by sdemott »

The difference between the top end 15" and 17" PB is screen size. Other than that they have the same specs. You are not gaining anything is CPU power, RAM capacity or buss speed.

My $0.02 - buy the 15" and with the extra cash get a nice flat screen for your desk - 2 smaller screens are better than 1 bigger screen in my book. The 19" LCDs are affordable and you'd still save a few dollars over the 17".

In any event, that's what I did when I considered the same thing.

HTH
-Steve
Not all who wander are lost.
slipstream

Post by slipstream »

Originally posted by screenscrawl:
Are there dis-advantages to buying a 17" G4 Powerbook vs. buying a 15" (besides cost)?

Are there predictable problems when running the Motu 896 hd?

Is there a "consumer reports" resource listing pros and cons or reliability statistics of different Mac laptops.
Does anyone know of other forums like unicornation?
I have the 17" and love the extra screen width
Depends on how you use the powerbook.
I wanted something to travel so a bigger screen is not possible on your lap in a plane or at a motel. I would have bought a G5 otherwise or maybe even a Imac G5 with the 20" if I was using it at home most of the time.
I do have another 17" screen I can use at home with it so i get dual screens which is nice... it is up to you what you need.
It sure is good using aa 17" widescreen powerbook to watch movies while snuggled up in bed !
DP 4.52, Imac 2 GHZ G5 1 gig Ram
Powerbook 1.5ghz 1 gig RAM
Motif ES7 and Tascam FW1082 interface
reasonwhy1

Post by reasonwhy1 »

I also have a 15" powerbook and did a lot of research into both. There is know real difference apart from the obvious,two extra inches. It really is down to your bank balance and personal choice. Do you want to be flash or practical.
Pound

Post by Pound »

I'm about to switch from a dual 1.42 GHz Powermac to a 15" 1.5ghz Powerbook becuase I need to be portable. I was wondering if you guys could share your experiences with a Powerbook and Digital Performer? Do you run into any limitations on track number, or anything else? Thanks in advance.
Macbook Pro
OS X 10.4.11
DP 5.12
Motu Ultralite