OPTIMIZING OSX FOR STREAMLINING PROS & CONS

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Barry
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

OPTIMIZING OSX FOR STREAMLINING PROS & CONS

Post by Barry »

Has anyone attempted to "optimize" their Mac for Dedicated DAW operation? I have read some articles (namely in EM) that a lot can be accomplished by deleting language and font files and miscellaneous other streamlining. I have always been of the school if it ain't broke don't fix it! However, it sounds intriguing......
sdemott

Re: OPTIMIZING OSX FOR STREAMLINING PROS & CONS

Post by sdemott »

Coming from the ProTools camp, this was not an option but a neccessity for me. All my PT systems were optimized for audio and I still do it for DP and find that I tend to get more out of my systems because of it.

Of course, I do more than just remove excess fonts, localization files & printer drivers. I also disable non-essential processes (i.e. Crash Reporter, iCal alarm, at al) and always renice DP before starting a session to be sure it has highest priority.

HTH
-Steve
Not all who wander are lost.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Thanks Steve,
This is exactly what I was talking about. Are you describing "fast user" switching from the Accounts Preference panel of Sys Pref and Nicer from resExcellence and /or Process Wizard from lachoseinteractive...? Do you think my dual proc G4 can benefit from these modifications?
Barry

Post by Barry »

OOPS! I THINK I BROKE A CARDINAL RULE IN MENTIONING SPECIFIC PRODUCTS.....SORRY JIM!
d62@snet.net

Post by d62@snet.net »

I looks like this thread is New England specific! What steps did you take to optimize OSX for DP? I normally turn off animations, set for presentation mode, and kill as many control-panel functions as possible. I'm not really having any processing issues either, but I am curious about what sort of processor trimming I might be able to try.

-Dave
G4 Powerbook 17"
1.5G / 512MB
DP 4.12
via. 828mkII
sdemott

Post by sdemott »

I usually renice using the terminal, but there are plenty of apps that will do that (and most will also run general maintanence scripts, which help keep things running smoothly too).

Other specifics -

In the Login PrefPane - disable any and all startup items for your account and turn off Fast User Switching.

In Sharing - turn off all sharing. These load backrouynd apps (called daemons, in the UN*X world) that eat up CPU cycles.

In Energy Saver - Never, never, never! Don't sleep , low power or spin down anything.

In Software Update - turn off auto updates - check manually weekly, monthly or whatever.

In QuickTime - turn off auto updates.

In Network - disable any and all network ports you do not need. Or better yet, create a network location called "DP" or "Recording" or whatever you like and disable all network ports/interfaces. When you go to do your DP work, just select that location to be sure that there are no stolen CPU cycles going to sniffing network interfaces for connections.

Hmm...I think that covers most of everything. The only other thing (and this is more disaster recovery than optimization) is that I keep an image of my newly setup & optimized system on an external disk so I can restore to a working state withing about 10 minutes using Apple's Disk Utility restore function.

HTH
-Steve
Barry

Post by Barry »

You're input is greatly appreciated! I kind of knew there was alot more to do. I plan on executing all of the above that apply to my computer setup and I am very happy that you shared your experience and knowledge with all of the BB members, myself included!
sdemott

Post by sdemott »

Anytime ;)

I also forgot to mention this one: Always use a separate login for your audio/MIDI work. I create one Admin account for doing all the installs and system maintenance, one normal user account for my day to day useage (internet, MS Office, Adobe suite, et al). and one account just for audio work.

This keeps my system safe and clean - the audio account has no extra fonts, no extra background apps, it is there solely for the purpose of using DP. This allows me to keep that account trimmed down and still install & use the apps I need on my main account, since many of them require background apps to operate (like MS Office for example).

HTH
-Steve
Barry

Post by Barry »

I had given this thought and began creating a specific log-in but as I progressed with the new account I began to confuse the protocols that protect my virtual instruments from being copied and I didn't want to begin something that I didn't know how to finish. With BFD and Charlie, Machfive, Lounge Lizard, Garritan, Trilogy, Waves, etc. and 2 internal HD (one with OSX & apps and the second for recording and libraries). The "keep it simple" adage starts to fly out the window. Not withstanding, if it is definitely worth the effort in the long term I can always go back to the software companies and request directions for an uninstall and reinstall without setting off all the failsafe alarms! Response...? THANKS!
sdemott

Post by sdemott »

It is definately worth having the music/DAW specific login. It helps avoid so many problems.

It may seem like a huge inconvenience...but you may not even need to reinstall. Those apps should be available to all users. Just create a clean user that is just for your music production and be sure to disable all those things I mentioned and never run an application that is not music related (like MS office) because it may install background processes that will steal CPU cycles from your music apps.

On occasion be sure to check the login items (as mentioned) and practice good disk/system maintanence.

HTH
-Steve
giles117

Post by giles117 »

I went old school on my system as well. With my main HD I have a sep login for DP. I alos have another boot drive strictly for DP when I am mixing.

it has a barebones install of OS X.
DP 6.02
Quad 3.0 Ghz, 8.0 GB RAM, 2 - 1TB HD, 5 - 500GB HD's (RAID)
MOTU HD192, 2408mk3, Microlite, UAD-1, UAD-2, Powercore, Lavry Blue AD/DA convertor, LA-610
Euphonix MC Control

29 years in this business and counting.....Loving every minute of it.....
laurence

Post by laurence »

Originally posted by sdemott:
I usually renice using the terminal, but there are plenty of apps that will do that (and most will also run general maintanence scripts, which help keep things running smoothly too).

Other specifics -

In the Login PrefPane - disable any and all startup items for your account and turn off Fast User Switching.

In Sharing - turn off all sharing. These load backrouynd apps (called daemons, in the UN*X world) that eat up CPU cycles.

In Energy Saver - Never, never, never! Don't sleep , low power or spin down anything.

In Software Update - turn off auto updates - check manually weekly, monthly or whatever.

In QuickTime - turn off auto updates.

In Network - disable any and all network ports you do not need. Or better yet, create a network location called "DP" or "Recording" or whatever you like and disable all network ports/interfaces. When you go to do your DP work, just select that location to be sure that there are no stolen CPU cycles going to sniffing network interfaces for connections.

Hmm...I think that covers most of everything. The only other thing (and this is more disaster recovery than optimization) is that I keep an image of my newly setup & optimized system on an external disk so I can restore to a working state withing about 10 minutes using Apple's Disk Utility restore function.

HTH
Hi Steve, your post caught my eye ! I'm wondering how to create the image of the system etc.. Does this mean a whole drive with programs etc can be imaged ready for restore back to a drive that's bootable ? Would you please explain the procedure for me ! wow, this would be cool .. thanks muchly :)
DP 7.12 ~ G5 dual 2.3 / Mac Pro Quad 3/Genelec ~ ProTools HD 7.4 / 8 with 96 i/o's / MOTU 2408 Mk 3 + 1224
sdemott

Post by sdemott »

Yes - you can backup your entire hard drive to an image that can be restored via Disk Utility. There are a couple of ways to do this. Here's the most logical from a disaster recovery standpoint.
</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[2] boot from the external drive
    </font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[3] Launch disk utility and use the Image menu to make an image of your internal drive
    </font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[4] Save the image to the external drive
    </font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[5] Choose "Scan for Rsetore" from the Image menu and scan the image you just saved to make it a restore capable image
    </font></li>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Now anytime you need to restore, you boot from the external and restore you HD from the image - and it's there in the exact state that you had it at the time you made the image.

<small>[ November 09, 2004, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: sdemott ]</small>
-Steve
Barry

Post by Barry »

THANKS AGAIN STEVE,
YOU ARE GEM OF A PERSON TO SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE IN THIS AREA OF EXPERTISE. THREE CHEERS FOR STEVE.......!!!
BARRY
MUSIK4U

WHEN I AUTHORED THIS THREAD I HAD NO IDEA HOW MUCH RESPONSE IT WOULD RECEIVE. THERE SHOULD BE A PRINTOUT OR PERMANENT ARCHIVE THAT ADDRESSES THESE VERY ISSUES AND GIVES US MOTU USERS THE OPTION OF TAKING THESE ACTIONS OR NOT. WHAT DO YOU SAY TO THAT MR. STEELE?
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

posted November 09, 2004 08:01 AM                      
Yes - you can backup your entire hard drive to an image that can be restored via Disk Utility. There are a couple of ways to do this. Here's the most logical from a disaster recovery standpoint.

••• [2] boot from the external drive

••• [3] Launch disk utility and use the Image menu to make an image of your internal drive

••• [4] Save the image to the external drive

••• [5] Choose "Scan for Rsetore" from the Image menu and scan the image you just saved to make it a restore capable image

Now anytime you need to restore, you boot from the external and restore you HD from the image - and it's there in the exact state that you had it at the time you made the image.

end of quote

Or you can use Netrestore ( Mike Bombich, free ) and do the restore faster !
Best

Klaus