OPTIMIZING OSX FOR STREAMLINING PROS & CONS

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Klaus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: OPTIMIZING OSX FOR STREAMLINING PROS & CONS

Post by Klaus »

posted November 09, 2004 08:01 AM                      
Yes - you can backup your entire hard drive to an image that can be restored via Disk Utility. There are a couple of ways to do this. Here's the most logical from a disaster recovery standpoint.

••• [2] boot from the external drive

••• [3] Launch disk utility and use the Image menu to make an image of your internal drive

••• [4] Save the image to the external drive

••• [5] Choose "Scan for Rsetore" from the Image menu and scan the image you just saved to make it a restore capable image

Now anytime you need to restore, you boot from the external and restore you HD from the image - and it's there in the exact state that you had it at the time you made the image.

end of quote

Or you can use Netrestore ( Mike Bombich, free ) and do the restore faster !
Best

Klaus
hoptune
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by hoptune »

I have just joined and feel like I have found heaven!! G5 on its way and I think I'll be paying attention to You guys!! thanks Michael :)
life is amusing
filmscoraldo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by filmscoraldo »

Steve and gang,
Good thread among good threads here. If this is a simplistic question please forgive me but in the seperate DAW user account scenario, is DP and all audio software installed under the admin user or the DAW user name? If the latter, is the audio software only accessible by that user? Would I have to reinstall everything to do this or can it be done with an existing set up where everything is under the admin account? What kind of performance or other benefits should I be looking to gain?

Thanks!
-SG
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
-Albert Einstein