My Mac just restarted itself!?!

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

gavspen
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

My Mac just restarted itself!?!

Post by gavspen »

What the heck?!?

While playing a not very taxing sequence my computer spontaneously restarted itself for no apparent reason. It wasnt a brief power outage, since that would have shut it down but not restarted it (right?). It just bloody well restarted itself!

I've seen it do lots of weird stuff–we all have–but I never saw that before. Anyone else had this happen to them?

Gavin
Mac mini M1, 13.5.1, 16gigs RAM, 828 mk3 Hybrid, DP 11.23, Various VIs
cuttime

Re: My Mac just restarted itself!?!

Post by cuttime »

Any chance Ctrl+Cmd+Eject was invoked on your keyboard?
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
billf

Post by billf »

gavspen wrote:While playing a not very taxing sequence my computer spontaneously restarted itself for no apparent reason. It wasnt a brief power outage, since that would have shut it down but not restarted it (right?). It just bloody well restarted itself!
Is this a Mac Pro or a laptop? If it is a Mac Pro, and it is not running through a UPS backup system, then yes, a very brief power surge/dropout can cause it to restart. And by "brief" it might be something you would not even notice.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

cuttime wrote:Any chance Ctrl+Cmd+Eject was invoked on your keyboard?
No chance. I was strumming away at the time.
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

billf wrote:
gavspen wrote:While playing a not very taxing sequence my computer spontaneously restarted itself for no apparent reason. It wasnt a brief power outage, since that would have shut it down but not restarted it (right?). It just bloody well restarted itself!
Is this a Mac Pro or a laptop? If it is a Mac Pro, and it is not running through a UPS backup system, then yes, a very brief power surge/dropout can cause it to restart. And by "brief" it might be something you would not even notice.
Mac Pro. So you're saying that a brief surge/dropout will do just that? Why wouldnt it just shut down, as it would if you unplugged it?
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

hmm - this happened to me today as well - I was on Safari when it happened…

very freaky...

SWT
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
billf

Post by billf »

gavspen wrote:
billf wrote:
Mac Pro. So you're saying that a brief surge/dropout will do just that? Why wouldnt it just shut down, as it would if you unplugged it?
I live in an area where power outages happen frequently when the weather is bad, so I have experienced this many times if my Mac is not hooked up to a UPS (which it is all the time now). Anyway, if the outage is so brief that you might only notice a very slight light flicker, the Mac will restart if it is not on the UPS backup. If the outage is longer than a few seconds, then it will cut off.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

stephentayler wrote:hmm - this happened to me today as well - I was on Safari when it happened…

very freaky...

SWT
Somebody cue up the Twilight Zone theme :? :wink:
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

billf wrote:
I live in an area where power outages happen frequently when the weather is bad, so I have experienced this many times if my Mac is not hooked up to a UPS (which it is all the time now). Anyway, if the outage is so brief that you might only notice a very slight light flicker, the Mac will restart if it is not on the UPS backup. If the outage is longer than a few seconds, then it will cut off.
Well well. I've lived in the same location here in NYC for 20 years and never had it happen before. Oddly, when the central air cycles on it sometimes does makes the lights blink (slightly) and it's never make the Mac behave strangely. Just another reason "Save" is your (best) friend. Happily I didnt loose much.
billf

Post by billf »

gavspen wrote:
billf wrote:Well well. I've lived in the same location here in NYC for 20 years and never had it happen before. Oddly, when the central air cycles on it sometimes does makes the lights blink (slightly) and it's never make the Mac behave strangely. Just another reason "Save" is your (best) friend. Happily I didn't loose much.
FWIW, I believe there is a setting somewhere in Preferences that can tell the computer to restart after a power failure. There is also one to restart if it freezes. I'm not sure if this affects your situation at all, nor do I remember offhand where it is in the Preferences.

All that said, I highly recommend using a UPS backup system no matter how reliable your power might be. It's saved me a few times. :D
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I had a computer start doing that once (a PC). I'm fairly sure it was the power supply... I changed it out and it fixed it, but I did a bunch of other things at the same time, so I can't be positive.

Brief surges and power interruptions will indeed restart a computer, not just shut it down. I'm not sure the technical reasons, but we have bad power in our area, and every time there's a momentary interruption, the computers all reboot. I've seen some fast enough that the computer stays up (probably the capacitors hold enough juice to stay up for about 1/8second). If it's longer than about 2-3 seconds, though, it'll stay off. But the average length power interruption will typically cause computers to immediately restart.

However, if you didn't experience any lights flickering or anything like that, it's probably not an external cause. Most likely the power supply is having difficulties. The result is about the same, but you won't see other lights and devices be effected.

Electric power is a strange and complicated thing. I've often had weird power problems that I've fixed and not known how. For instance, even if your power supply is starting to get finicky, there's probably something that's causing it to fail, otherwise the computer would just never turn on. It's very possible that you've got some power fluctuations on that outlet, but not enough to effect most devices. See if you can find a very robust power conditioner, might solve the problem.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

gavspen wrote: It wasnt a brief power outage, since that would have shut it down but not restarted it (right?).
Depends on whether you set the preference for it to restart after a power failure.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
bdr

Post by bdr »

My Mac Pro started doing that fairly often, turned out it was overheating. Bust open the chassis and make sure the video card fan and all the other fans are clean.
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bdr wrote:My Mac Pro started doing that fairly often, turned out it was overheating. Bust open the chassis and make sure the video card fan and all the other fans are clean.
Yep. That's a thermal overload.
FWIW, I believe there is a setting somewhere in Preferences that can tell the computer to restart after a power failure.
Yep again. You set this in Energy Saver, if I recall.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dubiousmaximus

Post by dubiousmaximus »

I had a problem where my Mac Pro rebooted without warning every 20 minutes. Finally it was traced to a faulty memory riser, the card on which DIMMs are mounted. Luckily the machine was under warranty because my local service provider tried everything else first - replacing the PSU, the DIMMs and the hard drive. Frustrating experience and it made me sentimental about my Tascam 4-track from the 80's :!:
2.8GHz Quad-Core MacPro | 8 GB | OS 10.12.6 | DP 8.07 | Ableton 9.7 | MOTU 828Mk3 | UAD-2 Duo | MCU | Electribe EMX-1 | x0xb0x | Remote25 SL MkII | NI Komplete 9 | Ozone 5 | MIDIExpress | Heritage H-516 | Fender Std. Tele | Peavey Classic 30