My Mac just restarted itself!?!

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

gavspen
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: My Mac just restarted itself!?!

Post by gavspen »

mikehalloran wrote:Yep again. You set this in Energy Saver, if I recall.
Yeah I see that but it isnt checked. Would you guys still expect it to restart even if it's not checked?

I certainly hope the power supply isnt getting ready to pack it in, but I must say it seems very unlikely that Con-Ed had even the briefest power outage at this time of the year. Just doesnt happen. Maybe it is the outlet, as was suggested.

Now, the other weird thing that's happened here is that about the same time all this is going on, two RAM sticks died. (I cant really be sure when that happened but I just found out when DP started acting up.) Odd, or what? Can there be any connection? (Three cheers for OWC's lifetime warranty.)
Mac mini M1, 13.5.1, 16gigs RAM, 828 mk3 Hybrid, DP 11.23, Various VIs
leigh

Post by leigh »

gavspen wrote: Now, the other weird thing that's happened here is that about the same time all this is going on, two RAM sticks died. (I cant really be sure when that happened but I just found out when DP started acting up.) Odd, or what? Can there be any connection? (Three cheers for OWC's lifetime warranty.)
Bad RAM can cause a Kernel Panic which now causes a restart with a small window saying something unpleasant happened.

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
dix

Post by dix »

Check Apple Discussions. Spontaneous restarts by MacPros is a known, albeit mysterious, thing. It's happened to me maybe 4 times over the last 4 years - it didn't occur at all for the first 3 years I owned my MacPro. It's worse for others. Last time I checked Apple Discussions there wasn't a clear way to diagnose or resolve the issue.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

dix wrote:Check Apple Discussions. Spontaneous restarts by MacPros is a known, albeit mysterious, thing. It's happened to me maybe 4 times over the last 4 years - it didn't occur at all for the first 3 years I owned my MacPro. It's worse for others. Last time I checked Apple Discussions there wasn't a clear way to diagnose or resolve the issue.
Well that's kinda good, sorta....may not be the power supply then. Ok, I guess :?
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

leigh wrote:
gavspen wrote: Now, the other weird thing that's happened here is that about the same time all this is going on, two RAM sticks died. (I cant really be sure when that happened but I just found out when DP started acting up.) Odd, or what? Can there be any connection? (Three cheers for OWC's lifetime warranty.)
Bad RAM can cause a Kernel Panic which now causes a restart with a small window saying something unpleasant happened.

**Leigh
Is that a precise quote? "Something unpleasant happened"? I rather like that wording :wink:
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

my weird restart happened on a MacBook Pro - so nothing to do with power supply then….

SWT
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
leigh

Post by leigh »

gavspen wrote: Is that a precise quote? "Something unpleasant happened"? I rather like that wording :wink:
No. I was thinking of the Dorothy Sayers murder mystery book, "The Unpleasantness At The Bellona Club". "Something unpleasant happened" is a nice euphemism for "Kernel Panic".

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
Grigri

Post by Grigri »

Hello.

Last month, I had the same issue (macpro early 2008, 8x2.8Ghz). I did some research on the apple discussion forum, someone there mentioned that changing the lithium battery have solved his problem.
I have changed this battery and now I didn't have the problem at all. It's worth a try, this battery cost 2$...

When changing this battery, I have cleaned the dust on the video card and the RAM card.

I hope that you can fix this problem, it's really annoying when it happen... I wish you luck!!!
Grigrisound

OSX 10.11.6 - MacPro Octo 2.8 - 12G RAM - Macbook pro 2017 I5 - 16 G RAM - Digital Performer 10.11 - Motu 828mk3 - Steven Slate - UAD2 -
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

Grigri wrote:Hello.

Last month, I had the same issue (macpro early 2008, 8x2.8Ghz). I did some research on the apple discussion forum, someone there mentioned that changing the lithium battery have solved his problem.
I have changed this battery and now I didn't have the problem at all. It's worth a try, this battery cost 2$...

When changing this battery, I have cleaned the dust on the video card and the RAM card.

I hope that you can fix this problem, it's really annoying when it happen... I wish you luck!!!
Interesting, thanks for that. You were having this happen frequently? It's only happened to me once so far, but if it happens again I'll try that.
Grigri

Post by Grigri »

gavspen wrote: Interesting, thanks for that. You were having this happen frequently? It's only happened to me once so far, but if it happens again I'll try that.
You're welcome!
I had two series, the first one was two month ago. I had several restart in one day... I was mad...
Then it was good for a long while and it reappeared again recently. Same crap, computer restarting 10 times in one hour. That is then I've found this battery fix on the apple discussions.

Since I have changed the battery, it didn't happen again, finger crossing :-)

All the best
Grigrisound

OSX 10.11.6 - MacPro Octo 2.8 - 12G RAM - Macbook pro 2017 I5 - 16 G RAM - Digital Performer 10.11 - Motu 828mk3 - Steven Slate - UAD2 -
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Try getting a really robust power conditioner/surge protector. I had a computer once with a dubious power supply, and the tiniest electrical anomaly would cause it to restart. I hadn't done it then, but I think I could have fixed it with a good power conditioner. I currently have a kitchen outlet that flips the breaker when more than two appliances are running, I threw a high class surge protector on it (not your average power strip), and suddenly everything's running great!

Everything you are saying points to power supply failure, I had exactly the same thing happen once. Maybe a good surge protector will help even out the voltage and keep your power supply from going out (at least for a while). Probably want to get that replaced eventually.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Thomas.B.

Post by Thomas.B. »

That happened to me yesterday for the first time on my MacBook Pro 17''. However, I did get warning that the Mac had to shut itself down and reboot due to some hardware/software issues. I assume it's a new feature of OS Mavericks. :wink:
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

So far for me it's always been fixed permanently by changing the Lithium battery on my MacPro 3,1 - well, permanently until the battery gets weak again. :) Maybe once every 18-24 months or so?

I also generally clean dust from the air intakes, fan etc. once I'm in there. Always a good idea.

:smash:
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers