SSD Comparisons?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: SSD Comparisons?

Post by James Steele »

frankf wrote:..but I wanted to be able to get max speed when I move to faster Mac in the future.
True enough. If you think you're going to migrate the drives to a Mac that has a faster bus, then that would make sense.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: SSD Comparisons?

Post by buzzsmith »

Bought the OWC 3GBps 480 and the drive bay adapter. Processed and in transit.

One question...

My plan is to install from my Snow Leopard install DVD the OS to the SSD, boot from the SSD and then (hopefully) through Software Updates update to 10.6.8 on the SSD. From there, I'll buy ML from the App Store and upgrade the OSX on the SSD.

I "can't" clone to the SSD for 2 reasons...

1. I would like a clean install of the OSX on the SSD.
2. My current main drive (startup) is too big for a 480-ish destination. I've looked, and there doesn't appear to be much that I can move or trash from the current HD to make it smaller.

Sound like a workable plan?

Any Apple issues about SL being (perhaps) registered twice for use on the same machine?

Merci...

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)