New anti-customer Mexican APPLE policy...

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New anti-customer Mexican APPLE policy...

Post by FMiguelez »

This is truly surprising and ridiculous.

I just found out that recently, Apple-Mexico sent an order to all its authorized distributors and repair centers in Mexico that instructs them NOT to accept doing any modifications, upgrades or additions to their computers that involve installing or changing non-Apple brand items.

That means if you buy RAM or SSDs from OWC, you're on your own. You must instal them yourself knowing that the instant you touch the inside of your Mac the warranty becomes void.
The only way to have a repair center do it for you (conserving the warranty) is ONLY if the additions are Apple brand (which cost twice as much, of course).

Is this how it is in the USA as well, or is this more like a typical 3rd-world country crap?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Re: New anti-customer Mexican APPLE policy...

Post by bayswater »

I don't now if any other country has the same policy. But if you post this at Ars Technica's Apple section, we'd probably find out pretty quickly.

I'm not that surprised.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I've never heard of Apple employees installing third party hardware in the USA?
I've always done it myself, Apple even have instructions on how to do it, and no, it doesn't void your warranty to install third party hard drives, RAM, or certified video cards etc. I'm not sure where you heard that? The only thing is exactly what you would expect, that if your OWC RAM dies Apple will not replace it, and conversely if for some reason a third party hard drive explodes and takes out other hardware Apple will probably not fix that either. In fact none of that changes if you have the Apple Store instal the third party hardware. Of course if you buy RAM and hard drives from the Apple store to instal, then those are covered.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

AFAIK Apple USA won't install any 3rd party hardware or software unless it's part of the initial purchase - and that only applies to software packages they might offer.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

The thing is that only Apple certified people are supposed to touch the inside of the computer. Now Apple is not letting them touch the computers without loosing the warranty.

That's the way it's been explained to me by at least 10-12 Apple-authorized shops.

----------

Ok. I was just on the line with an Apple rep, and he confirmed all that... So even if a certified apple center does the upgrade for me, the mere fact of the HDs not being Apple brand voids the warranty.

Changing the interior hard drives of my MMs is beyond my comfort zone. It looks quite complicated and I don't think I'm up to it (I'll have to practically disassemble the computer, including the logic board). I've done it in the past with other computers, but these models are different and much more involved...
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:AFAIK Apple USA won't install any 3rd party hardware or software unless it's part of the initial purchase - and that only applies to software packages they might offer.
Correct... as I was just told by an Apple rep.

So it's not only a Mexican thing, huh? Well, I still think it sucks!

I mean, I can understand Apple people not doing non-Apple upgrades themselves, but voiding the warranty by simply installing an OWC HD instead of an Apple HD????

At the very least, they should clearly tell you that in their website when you are purchasing the computer. Right where the offer the upgrades, this Apple policy should be clearly stated, should it not? Something like:
Failing to purchase upgrades right now will render any future ones void. Non-Apple upgrades will also void the warranty.

Also, OWC didn't mention any of these caveats... Hmmmm....
I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular at this point, but I can't help feeling a little "played" or let down...

Had I know this before hand, I simply would've ordered the upgrades directly from the Apple store, even if they cost twice as much, but I didn't hear this from either Apple or OWC :smash:

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

That last part ain't true here. You can install or have some install such upgrades and the warranty is still valid. Double check your source.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:That last part ain't true here. You can install or have some install such upgrades and the warranty is still valid. Double check your source.
Well, as one always must do down here, I will have to speak to at least 2 other Apple reps, so I can make some kind of "average" with their responses (it won't surprise me when tomorrow someone else tells me something completely different).

But none of the Apple authorized shops I've called were willing to do it unless I sign some kind of non-responsibility agreement, or hire one of their employees "under the table", like we do business around here :roll:

Usually anyone will jump at an opportunity for some work (bad economy). But these guys still won't touch them without the agreement!

Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Here's Apple themselves explaining how to change out RAM in the new Mac Pro.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht6054

Apple employees aren't always the brightest eggs they think they are.
No, upgrading RAM or hard drives in any machine does not void the warranty, maybe on a Retina Macbook Pro or something like that? but not on a Mini or on a tower.

Here's a third party explanation for the Mini.
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+Mini+La ... ment/11716
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Upgrading a Mini is not as daunting as it appears. The late ones are much easier than the early ones that required a stiff putty knife. I can upgrade the early ones one-handed.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
billf

Post by billf »

I can see this for maybe laptops and iMacs, but not for a Mac Pro. Maybe it is model dependent?
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Putting RAM in my MBP and iMac was not a problem for warranties. As someone pointed out, Apple tells you how to do it. But of course if the RAM doesn't work, it's your own problem.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Yeah, as far as I know, upgrading components only voids the warranty of that particular component (duh), or in the cases that the component is directly responsible for damaging another part of the computer. Swapping out the HDD will NOT put you SOL if the motherboard breaks. However, if that HDD crashes, you're on your own.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Thomas.B.

Post by Thomas.B. »

That is surprising considering that none of the hard drives and memory chips that I have ever replaced were marked as Apple hardware. They were all standard 'off the rack' third party components. If you stick to the brands that Apple uses how can they even tell wether or not these upgrades where installed by Apple? Maybe they are now being marked with a special Apple wax seal. :?