MacBook B key is always capitalized

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MacBook B key is always capitalized

Post by philbrown »

MacBookPro 2.2 i7

My B key is stuck as a capital letter. Caps lock and shift have no effect. The B key is always capitalized no matter what in every program. If I hold down B and type another letter the other letter is capitalized too, as if I was holding down the shift key. I have tried internet suggestions aBout AccessiBility and Text to Speech and none of those have had an effect. It started off intermittent and now is constant. One day it was the B G and T keys But then that stopped and now it's just the B key again, But if I hold down any other key and type a T or a G they are capitalized too (doesn't happen with any other keys). B, G and T Being in a diagonal row may Be a clue... Anyone have any ideas? Doesn't seem like it's an issue with just a key Being dirty or something But mayBe it is. I don't even know if it's software or hardware. I've had other laptops apart and it was no fun so not looking forward to that if that's what's called for. I'm aBout 3.5 hours from the nearest Apple store. I'd have to ship it Both ways and pay for repair if it comes to that.

Any ideas really appreciated!
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
philbrown

Re: MacBook B key is always capitalized

Post by philbrown »

Just now realized the hyphen key is now stuck as an underscore
and the left Bracket (next to the letter P) acts as if shift is on too
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
rickorick

Post by rickorick »

Have you tried it with another keyboard? USB
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Thanks for the reply rickorick. Just tried it - USB keyboard works fine.
Don't what this means, but if I hold down the b key on the USB keyboard and then type b on the Macbook it's now NOT capitalized. And now the hyphen key and bracket are working correctly on the Macbook when they weren't an hour ago.

Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

That's because Apple decided to market it that way. It's a hold over from the "PowerBook" moniker.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Sure sounds like a hardware issue... like a bad key on your MacBook? I'm no expert, but only thing I could try perhaps is maybe if it's something corrupted very deep, you could power it down, remove the battery, disconnect the power cable, and let it sit for an hour or or two, then put the battery back, reconnect AC and boot it up.

Probably not the best advice, but sometimes starving a computer system of ALL power for a while, then restarting it, can help eradicate some corruption lurking deep within. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Thanks James. I popped the key off and blew it out with a can of air and then used the underlying button and it seemed to work more of the time, then put the button back on and it seemed to work less. I zapped the PRAM and that didn't help. It seems to work right after waking from sleep... the key word here is seems... I guess shipping to Apple is probably the next thing.

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Might be obvious, but do you have any 3rd party hacks for key macros? Also, have you checked the System Prefs>keyboard to make sure something didn't get weird?

One thing I'd do right away is delete the Finder preferences and reset the PRAM. Restart the Mac holding the CMD+OPT+P+R keys until the startup chime dings (or, if you prefer dongs :rofl: ) three times. Or maybe think of it as ding-dong-ding, or even ramalama-ding-dong.

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I ding-donged the PRAM several times and the witch is not dead. I didn't delete Finder prefs though. No macros or any stunt keymabobs on this machine. This isn't a studio computer just personal. My synth group is talking me into replacing the keyboard myself, vs Apple. Gulp. I remember Disassembling Pismo. Dark and bleak days them was.

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I hear that. I've disassembled and partially assembled a few laptops but they were not the one piece aluminum chassis types. I don't think I want to playing with those or any laptop again in terms of teardowns.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I hear that. I've disassembled and partially assembled a few laptops but they were not the one piece aluminum chassis types. I don't think I want to playing with those or any laptop again in terms of teardowns.
I hear ya. Not good with cars here, either. I like my knuckles non-bleeding.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

philbrown wrote:Thanks James. I popped the key off and blew it out with a can of air and then used the underlying button and it seemed to work more of the time, then put the button back on and it seemed to work less. I zapped the PRAM and that didn't help. It seems to work right after waking from sleep... the key word here is seems... I guess shipping to Apple is probably the next thing.
Bummer. :(
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Hopefuly, you have AppleCare. If so, see if you can make an appointment to take it in.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro