Maverick's Spotlight is SO ANNOYING!!

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by FMiguelez »

I am getting tired of Spotlight's insistence on indexing my computer after each restart.
Uuurgh!!

Things I've done many times, to no avail:
- Let it finish indexing, according to my set preferences
- Deleted Spotlight's plist
- Repaired Permissions/Repaired disk
- Run Onyx to clear all caches and rebuilt Spotlight's index
- Run Onyx to repair all plists
- Set and reset my preferences
- Restarted like a million times...

... But every time the computer restarts I see Spotlight indexing like crazy, as if it were the first time it does it.

Does anyone have a solution? I just want it to index what I want once and then leave me alone.

Ideally, I'd like to stay with Spotlight and not kill it and try a substitute (unless there's no other viable solution to stop this).

Thanks!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Maverick's Spotlight is SO ANNOYING!!

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Seems obvious, but have you listed your drives in the privacy tab? That always works for me. I don't list them all as I want to have Spotlight on for some stuff, but other drives (especially removable drives, externals that aren't on all the time, flash drives, etc) need to be listed in privacy to be excluded. You can just go to the root of the drive(s) and exclude them all.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

You can also add exclude specific folders on the drive you otherwise want indexed. I exclude everything except folders I know I'll want to search with spotlight.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Seems obvious, but have you listed your drives in the privacy tab? That always works for me. I don't list them all as I want to have Spotlight on for some stuff, but other drives (especially removable drives, externals that aren't on all the time, flash drives, etc) need to be listed in privacy to be excluded. You can just go to the root of the drive(s) and exclude them all.
Yes.
All my HDs are listed in there except for the system drive (which is the only one I want indexed).
bayswater wrote:You can also add exclude specific folders on the drive you otherwise want indexed. I exclude everything except folders I know I'll want to search with spotlight.
That sounds nice.

Ok. I just tried your suggestion, hoping it would rebuild the index or something, but it still tries to reindex everything upon restart.

So the way I have it set right now in Spotlight's preferences is with 4 drives in there (from the root disks, no folders). My system drive, which is the only one allowed, appears to be the one being indexed over and over.

It's almost as if the computer indexes everything and then forgets it did and tries doing it again. And again...
This is over my head. I have no idea what else I can do to fix it... :(
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

There's quite a bit out there on the problem. Not many solutions. This second last post in this thread (by ErvDoggie) claims to have a solution:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/32 ... 0&tstart=0
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Thanks, Bayswater.

That certainly gives me hope. I will try it as soon as I get a chance and report back.

A lot of people seem to be experiencing this!

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Moved to "General Macintosh" :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

- Run Onyx to clear all caches and rebuilt Spotlight's index
You are causing your problem. Stop running Onyx. It does nothing but waste time on late model Macs. The same goes for Disk Warrior but at least DW doesn't do anything else.

Let Spotlight do its thing and leave it alone. Likewise, the OS uses caches to speed up many tasks.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro