Mac Pro 4.1 Bluetooth range

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

stevenew
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mac Pro 4.1 Bluetooth range

Post by stevenew »

Hi,

Earlier in the year I bought a used Mac Pro 4.1 2x2.26 8 core, this weekend I moved to the music room, previously it was sitting on a desk about a foot away from my Magic Mouse but now it will sit about 5 foot away from the mouse. In this new position the mouse has become jittery (the wireless keyboard is fine).

Reading on Apple discussions this seems to be a known issue, with the two solutions being, keep the Mac Pro close to the mouse ( I did test this by moving the tower back next to the mouse and the mouse went back to normal as did the Bluetooth strength) or fitting an external bluetooth antenna like this http://nobblynoel.wordpress.com/2010/04 ... tooth-fix/.

I have decided to order the parts to do this as I really need to have the tower positioned where I want it.

Just curious if anyone on Motunation had this problem and has done the external antenna?

Thanks

Steve
2018 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 16GB. External SSD Sample Drives. macOS Monterey 12.2. MOTU 624 & 8D. Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, DP 9.52, DSP Quattro 5. Arturia, Gforce, iZotope, NI, Plugin Alliance, Slate, SSD5, Soniccouture, Spectrasonics, Spitfire. Novation 61 SLMKII, JBL LSR 305, Sennheiser HD600, AKG 240MKII. PRS, Martin Guitars, Mensinger Bass. Vox & Orange amps. Line 6 Helix.
HCMarkus

Re: Mac Pro 4.1 Bluetooth range

Post by HCMarkus »

I disconnected the internal Bluetooth and installed a $12 Bluetooth dongle on my (wired) keyboard. Many monitors also have USB ports that will do the job.

Here's how to disconnect the internal Bluetooth:
http://oliverwolfson.com/apple-mac-pro- ... sue-solved

No more issues.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
stevenew

Post by stevenew »

Hi,

I had read about using the bluetooth dongle but I now have no USB sockets near my mouse as I am using a wireless keyboard (which works fine unlike the mouse).

Part of my new setup was to rid my workspace of the USB & firewire hubs I have been using with the iMac, now everything is plugged in to the Mac Pro and the keyboard & mouse wireless. I guess nothing is simple, my antenna arrives tomorrow so hopefully that will work. I can't believe Apple let these Mac Pros ship with compromised bluetooth!

Thanks

Steve
2018 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 16GB. External SSD Sample Drives. macOS Monterey 12.2. MOTU 624 & 8D. Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, DP 9.52, DSP Quattro 5. Arturia, Gforce, iZotope, NI, Plugin Alliance, Slate, SSD5, Soniccouture, Spectrasonics, Spitfire. Novation 61 SLMKII, JBL LSR 305, Sennheiser HD600, AKG 240MKII. PRS, Martin Guitars, Mensinger Bass. Vox & Orange amps. Line 6 Helix.
stevenew

Post by stevenew »

Hi,

I installed the antenna today and it seems to work perfectly, Magic Mouse back to normal, a bit overkill I know but it works!

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

stevenew wrote:Hi,

I installed the antenna today and it seems to work perfectly, Magic Mouse back to normal, a bit overkill I know but it works!
I wouldn't call it overkill if it works. Congrats.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro