Can I switch between 2 OS versions?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

NealF
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can I switch between 2 OS versions?

Post by NealF »

Hi.

I've got a 2009 Powermac, running 10.6.8. I don't want to upgrade my OS right now because I'm doing a lot of work in Final Cut Pro and don't want to have to upgrade that program and learn it from scratch right now.

I've just seen the new Waves Real ADT plugin. It only works in OS 10.7 and up.

So, is it possible to somehow have 10.7 on another drive and switch back and forth depending on what I'm using? I'd love to use it for some mixing I'm doing in DP 7.2.

If so, is there someplace where I can get detailed instructions?

Thanks.
MacPro5,1 6-Core Intel Xeon, Processor Speed: 3.46 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 12 MB
Memory: 32 GB. Mojave. DP 9 and Apogee Duet.
HCMarkus

Re: Can I switch between 2 OS versions?

Post by HCMarkus »

Absolutely!

You just need to install each O/S and the applications you need on separate physcial or logical hard drives... in other words, use two different hard drives OR partition a single drive into two (or more) partitions using Apple's Disc Utility (Applications > Utilities).

You can select your boot drive on start up with key commands or in System Preferences > Start Up
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

You can, but it's questionable whether it's worth it to be able to run one plugin.

You could add a new partition to your startup disk, and install 10.7 on it. Or you could install 10.7 on an external drive, or a second drive in your Mac. You would then start the Mac up from the new partition or drive. You can hold down the Option key on startup, and the Mac will ask you to choose which version of OS X to run.

Either way, you would then install and authorize the applications and plugins you want to use on the new partition or drive. In most cases your existing installations of your apps and plugins on your existing setup won't run properly when you startup up from the new disk or partition, so you have to install new copies.

If you want to add a partition to your existing drive, and you have enough space on it, you can do this with DiskUtility in OS 10.6.8 There are instructions on how to do this in several places. E.g.,

http://osxdaily.com/2011/03/12/how-to-i ... w-leopard/

If you do this, make sure you have a complete backup that you know you can restore, just in case something goes wrong. Also be prepared to wait a long time because DiskUtility will have to move files on your disk to create a physically contiguous empty space for the new partition.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Are you on a Mac Pro 1.1 or 2.1? If not, do not install OS 10.7 - go to 10.8 or 10.9. 10.7 was never really ready for prime time but Mac Pros v. 1.1 or 2.1 are limited to OS 10.7.5

You will need to run DP 7.24 in order to authorize in 10.7 or higher. If you don't have a 7.24 CD, no problem. Install from the CD, download the 7.24 updater from MOTU.com and then your CD will allow you to authorize.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
NealF

Post by NealF »

Hm. It's looking like it's more trouble than it's worth - for just one plugin.

Thanks, all, for the info.
MacPro5,1 6-Core Intel Xeon, Processor Speed: 3.46 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 12 MB
Memory: 32 GB. Mojave. DP 9 and Apogee Duet.