Cuemix w/Live Voice Audio-Adjusting Volume for all Outputs

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

sirluke4
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Cuemix w/Live Voice Audio-Adjusting Volume for all Outputs

Post by sirluke4 »

Sorry, maybe this is an amateur/impossible question but need some help. :sorry: I am a volunteer so not an expert.

We have an 896mk3 that we're trying to use to switch from Analog Mixers that are dying to Digital. All of the XLR Inputs have Microphones and all of the XLR outputs go in pairs to the AMPs as well as one of the digital outputs to an audio recorder and FM broadcaster. It is live audio in an arena.

These are amateur presenters, and sometimes MICs that are not in use will be moved/handled while another MIC is live. So...... we need to be able to adjust the Volume of the individual MICs on the fly to all of the outputs (re: turn them to 0, or turn them up/down based on who's talking and how loud they talk, etc.). Unfortunately, if I'm understanding CueMix properly, adjusting the volume on the "Mixes" tab only effects the output pair assigned to that Bus? It was suggested we instead use the Inputs tab and use the trim knob as a volume if we want to affect all output simultaneously, which seems to work, except, trying to adjust that knob on the fly is not always easy and remembering the proper spot to twist it to is not easy either. :shake: Are we doing this wrong? :banghead: is there a way just to use the Mixes tab and mirror all the outputs? Or is there a way we could re-skin CueMix so that we have sliders on the Inputs tab? Or should I be using another Device or Software? Or the wrong version? I can switch to PC if that's easier to edit.
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Cuemix w/Live Voice Audio-Adjusting Volume for all Outpu

Post by 4stripes »

sirluke4 wrote:Unfortunately, if I'm understanding CueMix properly, adjusting the volume on the "Mixes" tab only effects the output pair assigned to that Bus?
Yes, each mix is independent.
It was suggested we instead use the Inputs tab and use the trim knob as a volume if we want to affect all output simultaneously, which seems to work, except, trying to adjust that knob on the fly is not always easy and remembering the proper spot to twist it to is not easy either. :shake: Are we doing this wrong? :banghead: is there a way just to use the Mixes tab and mirror all the outputs?
Is there are reason you can't use the frontpanel knobs? If you press it will pad it 20 dB, that's usually enough to remove extraneous noise.
Or is there a way we could re-skin CueMix so that we have sliders on the Inputs tab? Or should I be using another Device or Software? Or the wrong version? I can switch to PC if that's easier to edit.
No, CueMix is what it is.

Take a look in the CueMix section the manual for the shortcuts on page 97, which may help you workaround to give you what you need: http://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/firewi ... al_Win.pdf

You might want to do this externally by using one output pair feeding a distribution amp that then feeds your amps.

CueMix is not that great for on-the-fly adjustments because it is not all that tactile.

Or you need to find a way to insert an automixer like this. That's how a pro installation might be done for your application. Rane and Shure also make automixers. Are you also using the MOTU to record all this stuff discretely into a computer? If not, I would say a MOTU is not the best choice if dynamic mixing is the requirement. It's not very hands on.
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but modifier keys?
Shortcut Result

Shift key Applies your action to all inputs or all outputs
in the mix.

Command key Applies your action to the stereo input pair,
even when it is currently configured as mono.

Option/Alt key Applies your action to all busses.

Shift-Option/Alt Applies your action to all inputs and mixes.

Double-click Returns the control to its default value (pan
center, unity gain, etc.)
Which I now see was referenced by the previous post.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
sirluke4
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by sirluke4 »

Thanks for the info.

Going to try the ALT Button. Honestly, CueMix does just about everything on our wishlist except this little impractical volume issue (it would be nice if we could color code the channels but that's not a necessity).

Someone also suggested I try a third party program, which I'm going to take a look at tonight. Doesn't seem as easy to use for live sound however.