Stay w/OSX10.6.8 w/DP7.24 or upgrade?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

remler
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Stay w/OSX10.6.8 w/DP7.24 or upgrade?

Post by remler »

I have a iMac 8,1 early 2008 (MB398LL/A) 3.06GHz 4GB / 500GB @7200 HD running 10.6.8. Running DP is the only thing of importance I do on this box. Very low-stress recording (lots of MIDI-boxes). Given that, should I:

1) Upgrade the MacOS? If so to 10.7(Lion)? 10.8(Mountain Lion)? 10.9(Mavericks)?

2) Upgrade to DP v8?

Both? A combination of the two?

I'm relatively satisfied with my current configuration. However If there is a "known better" OSX/DP configuration greater than the one I have (where mine is 10.6.8/7.24) I would very much like to know about it.

In general, I am feeling some pressure to upgrade the MacOS to stay with the times. If I were to go to 10.7 or 10.8 is it a "given" that I should also get DP8?

I'm basically looking for any info floating out there regarding OS versions and DP versions above my own. Thanks very much in advance!
stubbsonic

Re: Stay w/OSX10.6.8 w/DP7.24 or upgrade?

Post by stubbsonic »

I've got the latest OS & DP, but I just wanted to chime in to say if it ain't broke...

Some folks decide to take the plunge because there's one or more pieces of software they want to be able to put to use right away, or there are some features in the OS they need.

Are there some apps or OS features you are wanting?

10.6.8 is relatively stable and works well. DP 7.24 is very stable and works well (with only a few little oddities). Make sure you keep a good clone of your disc so you can back track if there are any problems.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

stubbsonic wrote:
Some folks decide to take the plunge because there's one or more pieces of software they want to be able to put to use right away, or there are some features in the OS they need.
I just like shiny & new. :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

There are good reasons to upgrade even if it ain't broke. With the latest Mac OS and DP 8.5, you will experience overall better performance, especially in multicore use and VI handling. I would not go back... My 10.9.1 / 8.5 setup is rock solid, every bit as dependable at 7.24 under 10.8, and I am making a living with this rig every day.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Since most of the OP's work is outside the box, maybe the performance improvements won't be that critical.

My 10.9.1 / DP 8.05 is currently not working correctly. Fortunately, I don't have any critical projects. If I did, I'd be borrowing my old MBP from my wife and doing a clean install of the OP's specs.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I might add that all of Native Instruments latest updates require 10.7 or higher.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
remler

Post by remler »

Thank you all kindly for your prompt and informative replies. I should say that I'm frankly overwhelmed with the promptness and courtesy I've been shown here in under 24 hours. Thanks for making a guy feel at home.

As it happens I purchased Performer v2.0 running on a Mac II 2Meg RAM 20 Meg hard drive in San Francisco 1987-88. I've used & upgraded both ever since.

But to stubbsonic who said "If in aint broke..." -- I'm in fact quite partial to this sentiment which is why I'm looking for someone among you gurus to "nudge me" (using unassailable facts of course :-)

But you're right, my setup is quite solid. No crashes -- however some nettlesome UI glitches, like occasional disappearing or misbehaving menu widgets inside the consolidated window.

Still, as one or more of you surmised, I'm quite the lightweight user relative to you cpu-pushers. I use the occasional VI -- and only those few which I've been given free by MOTU. I will be using my first ever Virtual effect soon. So, no Native Instruments plug-ins for me as of yet and very lightweight digital audio (record one mono-track at at time).

Given all that, I'm hearing that I should possibly stick with DP 7.24 for at least the time being. However, from one remark Gravity Jim made, I am now considering an upgrade to OSX 10.8. -- he remarked,
"...every bit as dependable a[s] 7.24 under 10.8..."
Might I narrow this "Request For Comments" as follows then: Assuming I stick with DP7.2.4, which of the OSX's do y'all think it runs "best" on? Please keep in mind that my box is merely a iMac 8,1 early 2008 -- a bit old, right? Perhaps I shouldn't be jumping too far ahead in OSX-land (?)

Thanks again gentlemen. I eagerly look forward to your erudite comments.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Max RAM is 6g for this machine. $108 for 2 more gigs isn't cheap. With your uses, it's probably not necessary.
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/i ... o_PC2-6400

You can upgrade to Mavericks but, like ML, some features (Air Drop, Power Nap, Air Play Mirroring) will not be supported - that's ok, you aren't using them in SL anyway.

DP 8.05 actually runs smoother in 64bit than 7.24 which is limited to 32bit only. I've never tried DP 8 in 32bit - that's why I keep 7.24 on my Mac.

Besides DP, there are many other enhancements to the OS including dictation, browser, printing and scanning. If you have an iPhone and/or iPad, Mavericks will give you new ways for them to talk to each other - although ML is pretty good, too.

Don't bother with OS 10.7. It wasn't ready for prime time.

Before you make the move, what are you using for Time Machine?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
remler

Post by remler »

Before you make the move, what are you using for Time Machine?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that, so let me give you everything I can: Firstly, I *do* use Time Machine for backups (although I religiously backup to the cloud every night). The hardware I use is a Lacie 1 TB external disk connected via FireWire.

Could I also ask for a remedial course in the following: is what you said regarding DP8 running in 64-bit and then talking about DP7 running in 32-bit -- does all that imply that:
1) DP8 *can* run in 64bit (?)
2) DP7 is not a 64-bit app (?)
3) my machine and/or my 10.6.8 precludes me running anything in 64-bit (?) [I don't think this is true]
4) Because of (3) even if I bought DP8, I'd not be able to run it in 64-bit (?)
Your remedial training is *much* appreciated!

I do now understand however that if I were to upgrade my MacOS, I should skip 10.7 and go to 10.8. That's real information as far as I'm concerned. Thanks!

Re: RAM -- Yes, so far 4 Gig seems plenty for my small needs.

Lastly, I do not own either the iPad or an iPhone. So, as motivators, I strike out there. I trust my uncivilized ways will not result in my excommunication :wink:
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

10.9 is a free upgrade. 10.8 is $20 if Apple will sell it to you. If they sell you 10.8 and you want 10.7 - not recommended - you have to go the the Genius Bar and pick up a copy after you buy 10.8.

Apple wants you to run 10.9 if your computer will run it - yours will. That's why it is free.

10.6 can run 32bit or 64bit if the computer is capable of 64bit. Any Mac capable of running 10.8 can run 64bit.

Many 32bit apps will run on 64bit OS; others will not. DP 7.24 is 32bit only and will run on Mavericks. DP 8 will run 32bit or 64bit on 64bit OS. Some 32bit DP plugins don't work in DP 8 64bit but there are replacements in 8 that do. If you want 8 to run 32bit, you check a box in Get Info.

Beginning with DP 8, you can run multiple Time Machine backups automatically. If you use Time Capsules via Ethernet, you will no longer notice when they begin - in Mavericks, the little clock no longer spins and nothing hesitates. I use three that rotate hourly - one is wireless and hidden. I never interrupt anything to run a backup - I've other things to do with my time.

Used Time Capsules are cheap on eBay if running Ethernet only. Replace the crappy Seagate drives with WD 2T Green drives and they'll last forever. Later models made improvements in wireless and OE drives.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

How many of your key plugins will you have to upgrade or lose?
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com
remler

Post by remler »

Gentlemen -- by whom I mean Mike Halloran and dosuna11, thank you for your replies and please forgive my delay in responding.

dosuna11, the answer to your question is "I'm not sure" -- but that being said, I suspect that because I use plugins so sparingly, it wouldn't be a deal-killer either way. I say that in large part because, while I do have the Garritan GPO as well as the Garritan Steinway plug-in, I've yet to install either.

So, the (embarrassingly) simple fact of the matter is that I've been happy so far using just the freebie plug-ins supplied by DP7. I've yet to touch any of the built-in Apple effects as I suspect that MOTU's are superior (although I'm happy to be told otherwise). And according to Mike, even if my MOTU plug-ins fail, I should be able to download newer versions.

I'm guessing that the premise of your question is that I move to DP8 ==> 64bit ==> some plugins won't work in that environment. If so, then I assume changing the MacOS alone (to, say either 10.8 or 10.9) shouldn't have drastic consequences for a DP7.24 user?

Mike:
Thanks for your detailed response. Gleaning out the "best bits" from what you wrote, I've concluded that
  • it's not worth going to OSx10.7 --> I should either go to 10.8 or 10.9 if I'm going to move at all
  • I could go to DP8 on my current box (==> both my box and OSx10.6.8 are capable of 64bit)
  • You have a strong opinion regarding the superiority of Western Digital drives over Seagate
W/R/T your comments on Time Capsule/Machine were helpful -- I don't own a Capsule -- I suppose the argument for getting one is mainly their "seamless" integration with Time Machine?

You said:
Beginning with DP 8, you can run multiple Time Machine backups automatically.
Did you mean to say "MacOSX8" instead of "DP 8?" If not, then I'm a hair confused as to how or why DP interacts with Time Machine to begin with(?)

I'm a big believer in as many backups as reasonably possible. So you've hit a nerve with me (in a good way). Here's a follow-up question: you've mentioned both the
  1. WD 2T Green drive as well as
  2. buying a used Time Capsule (and connecting it via Ethernet).
If I were to only choose one of the above, which would you recommend?
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

MOTU plug-ins are great. If you have any plug-in presets saved that may be lost in the upgrade.
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

remler wrote:Gentlemen -- by whom I mean Mike Halloran and dosuna11...
The rest of us slugs can just take a hike... :lol:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
remler wrote:Gentlemen -- by whom I mean Mike Halloran and dosuna11...
The rest of us slugs can just take a hike... :lol:
You got that right! lol
Back to the sump ;-)
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........