need to get another hard drive. not sure what to get?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: need to get another hard drive. not sure what to get?

Post by mikehalloran »

Are any adapters required for install in a MacPro or am I just looking at the wrong units? The ones at Newegg I've looked at are marked 2.5 inch. What's the deal?
Yes, you need physical adapters to mount a 2.5" drive in a 3.5" bay. The 2006/7/8/G5 take one kind while the 2009-present take another.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Thanks. That get's me on the right track. When the time comes I'll do my homework before I dive in.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Phil O wrote:Thanks. That get's me on the right track. When the time comes I'll do my homework before I dive in.

Phil
Not to beat the horse unnecessarily, but why spend money on an SSD adaptor? Unless you take your Mac on the road, SSDs (which have no moving parts and don't generate appreciable heat) can simply be set inside the optical bay, or taped there using double sided tape. The presence of SATA ports there (in all but the earliest Macs) means your drive bays remain available for inexpensive, 3.5" large capacity drives for backup and archiving purposes.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

What about noise? I want mine to be as quiet as possible, every fan adds up. I have been using mostly internal Western Digitals. Just purchased a new Mac Pro. Gonna put an OWC 486GB SSD for the boot drive but I'm looking to buy three 2TB hard drives to put in the remaining bays. I have lots of libraries and lots of files. I am also running firewire 800 off of two Nitro AV hubs that run great - I have every drive backed up with a similar one via SuperDuper. Just looking for the most quiet and efficient internal drives available now. I have looked at the 4TB but it seems to me that the 2TB are the most efficient at the moment and the best price-point. So - which one to buy? The Western Digital 2 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive, Black? It still has a 5 year warranty - most of the others are down to 2 years. Anything else to consider? Thanks
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...