Networking PC's to Mac Pro

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

westla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Networking PC's to Mac Pro

Post by westla »

First of all, thanks for all the help and info so far.

I now have a Mac Pro (4,1), and have a question about my external PCs where my samples live. Up until now I've used a MIDI Timepiece AV (non-USB) to send MIDI to the PCs. Obviously now, my MTP won't work. So I thought about buying a new MIDI interface, but eventually I want to get rid of these PCs (when they die) and put all my libraries on 1 or 2 Mac Minis and connect them via ethernet, at which time I won't need a MIDI interface.

So to avoid getting a new interface as a stop gap, would it be possible to connect my PCs to my Mac Pro via ethernet to send them MIDI data? Or should I just get a Micro Express and then sell it later on?
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Networking PC's to Mac Pro

Post by 4stripes »

ipMIDI, rtpMIDI, etc... https://www.google.com/search?q=MIDI+ov ... e&ie=UTF-8

Connect them all through a simple network switch or router with built in switch.
westla

Post by westla »

Thanks. Would I need one of those programs for my Mac Pro as well, or just the PCs?
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by HCMarkus »

VE Pro allows networked connections for Audio and MIDI, Mac & PC.
westla

Post by westla »

Let me ask this - when these PC's eventually die and I move my VI's to Mac Minis, will I need any type of program (ipMidi, etc) to get MIDI and audio from the Mac Mini to DP on the Mac Pro?

Reason I ask, is cause I know someone selling a MIDI Express Xt for the same price as ipMidi. So if I won't need a program like that in the future, I might as well buy the MIDI Express, cause then at least I can sell it for a bit when I'm done with it.
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by HCMarkus »

I'd seriously look into VE Pro if you need the horsepower of a VI Farm. It works Mac to Mac or to PC, up to four slaves on a single license if I recall correctly. No extra hardware needed. Google it, search this Forum, too.
lisaa
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by lisaa »

Okay,thanks :D
We are the leading the world in providing best MB7-701 exam dump gre and testking.me - OG0-092 dumps prep solutions. Our incredible offers for nova and www.kumc.edu gedare accessible at reasonable prices; our Florida National University is very rare in IT world.