Is Mac Pro 2006 too old for DP8?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Tomas E
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Is Mac Pro 2006 too old for DP8?

Post by Tomas E »

I'm having some performance issues with my Mac Pro 2006. There are pops and clicks which won't go away with whatever settings I use in the Configure Hardware Driver. Would I benefit from installing more RAM? I currently have 9 GB and maximum RAM is 16 GB. Since it's seven years old I guess the rest of the hardware will soon start protesting if it's not mainly a RAM issue. Are there any PCI processor cards which would do the trick? Other suggestions? Or would I be better off just keeping it for simpler tasks and permanently move all my DP projects to my MacBook Pro?

Does anyone know which one is the best OS X and DP combination for the Mac Pro 2006?
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Is Mac Pro 2006 too old for DP8?

Post by James Steele »

What kind of interfaces are you using? I have the same MacPro with 7GB of RAM and I'm using PCIe based MOTU interfaces and am doing pretty well, although I do more rock songs and not orchestral mockups with lots of VIs etc.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

I don't have any additional hardware installed in the computer except for a hard drive. Echo AudioFire2 is the only additional (external) hardware. It's working fine with my MacBook Pro. Maybe there's something putting strain to the processors. At this startup I noticed everything in the Finder came up faster than usual. Can't say I've done anything different that would affect speed, but I'm going to take another shot at the issue. I only had one mono audio track into which I recorded some rhythm guitar. I disabled effects too and still couldn't get a clean sound.

Edit: could should be couldn't
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

I'm currently not having the issue. The only thing I come to think of is that I was running Finale at the same time as DP. Then I quit Finale - no change, made a restart - no change. Since then I've moved the authorization for Finale from Mac Pro to MB Pro. Could that make a difference?
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Shooting in the dark, e-snobben: of course you do use OnyX (free app) for your maintenance tasks?

And BTW, DiskWarrior and iDefrag to keep your HDs healthy?

If not, I suggest you do give a try.

They made huge difference on my own setup.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

I use TechTool Pro now and then, as well as CleanMyMac2. I also use the Mac OS X disk tool. Haven't used Onyx for some years since I've found it to be "for the OS X experts". You have to be sure of what you're doing so that bad things won't happen.
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

e-snobben wrote:[...]Haven't used Onyx for some years since I've found it to be "for the OS X experts". You have to be sure of what you're doing so that bad things won't happen.
For sure, I'm no OSX expert! Never screwed anything undoable with OnyX, though.

BTW, I highly recommend updating a HD clone before any major maintenance, OS or app update.
SuperDuper does this in minutes.
IMHO, your best *total wreck* insurance!
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

daniel.sneed wrote:For sure, I'm no OSX expert! Never screwed anything undoable with OnyX, though.

BTW, I highly recommend updating a HD clone before any major maintenance, OS or app update.
SuperDuper does this in minutes.
IMHO, your best *total wreck* insurance!
Ok, thanks :)
I'm beginning to like Time Machine, automatic backup is off though. I too have a HD clone, but nowadays it's not that much a clone as before due to Time Machine. I use it for temporary small backups only, when I don't have the time to plug in the other one.
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

A clone may save your job in case of HD going south while on a deadline.

BTW, never had a mother board gone south, but a HD did, just a few days before a big gig. Since, SuperDuper has been my friend.
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

It seems to be related to the MAS. When I've been working for a while the issue can reappear from nowhere. Sometimes it's enough to clear inserts. Sometimes I've got rid of the pops by going into the Configure Hardware Driver and just click in the buffer size menu, not changing anything. It makes the MAS turn off and on again.
Thomas.B.

Post by Thomas.B. »

e-snobben wrote:Sometimes I've got rid of the pops by going into the Configure Hardware Driver and just click in the buffer size menu, not changing anything. It makes the MAS turn off and on again.
I used to hear similar pops and clicks when I was using the first version of 'The Grand' by Steinberg. It was a piano plug-in that was very demanding even for a souped up G4 of that time. In my experience these pops and clicks are always related to the audio buffer. I was able to eliminate them by increasing the buffer size when mixing a song.

Chances are your main computer is adequate enough but your audio/MIDI interface connection needs to be updated. If you are forced to use an older slower USB connection you are pretty much out of luck. I remember hearing these clicks and pops even when I used a dedicated machine just for 'The Grand'. Selecting a lower sample rate (16/44.1) can fix the issue on older machines as well.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Since you have TTP, you have the only tool you need to properly diagnose a RAM or HD issue. Like Onyx, DiskWarrior and iDefrag, TTP can't really fix anything but it is an excellent diagnostic tool.

You want a picture of the SMART graph and frequent testing of the RAM. With certain video cards, you need TTP 6.04 or earlier or 7.02 or later due to a firmware problem with those cards that Apple will never fix. 6.05 to 7.01 will not show the graph you need if it detects one of those video cards. RAM problems are often heat related and may be elusive.

If you find a problem with the drive, use Apple's Disk Utility to repair. Then replace the drive with a new one ASAP. Properly repaired drives go bad again anywhere from a few minutes later to a few weeks.

I don't think you have a bad drive or RAM but you could. The driver for your interface could be the problem.

So could your buffer settings. You want low settings when you record - even if it means that you can't monitor more than a few tracks. Increase your settings for playback and mixing and see if this doesn't fix the issue.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

I've already tried different buffer settings but that made no difference.

I'm short of time at the moment. I'll be back. :twisted: ;)
JMVideo

Post by JMVideo »

e-snobben... the only time I've every had click/pops issues was when I wasn't using uniform RAM in my Macs.

You say you have 9GB of RAM. This immediately strikes me as a red flag because you obviously don't have matched pairs.

You should be using an even assortment of matched DIMMS (from the same manufacturer) in each slot. For example... 4 4GB DIMMS = 16GB RAM, or 2 8GB DIMMS = 16GB RAM. You're asking for trouble if you start mixing up your RAM like having 2 GB in some slots and 4 or 8 in the others.

Matched pairs = happy Mac.

Post by mikehalloran »

JMVideo wrote:e-snobben... the only time I've every had click/pops issues was when I wasn't using uniform RAM in my Macs.

You say you have 9GB of RAM. This immediately strikes me as a red flag because you obviously don't have matched pairs.

You should be using an even assortment of matched DIMMS (from the same manufacturer) in each slot. For example... 4 4GB DIMMS = 16GB RAM, or 2 8GB DIMMS = 16GB RAM. You're asking for trouble if you start mixing up your RAM like having 2 GB in some slots and 4 or 8 in the others.

Matched pairs = happy Mac.
Apple would disagree with that assessment. RAM must be installed in matched pairs but this v.1.1 machine came from Apple with 2 half-g sticks in the first slot pair.

It is possible to install sub-standard RAM in this beastie and ordinary PC RAM did have a problem with crapping out when too hot - as this tech note from EveryMac.com attests:

1.0 GB of RAM installed as two 512 MB modules. 6 slots free. RAM must be installed in pairs, and for "best acoustic performance" contain an "Apple-approved heat sink".

OWC noted this too and made a point of stating that, though their heat sinks looked different, the performance met or exceeded the factory installed RAM.

One of the problems was "acoustic performance".
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro