Toast 11.1 supplemental updater, Spin Doctor, Kernel Panics

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Toast 11.1 supplemental updater, Spin Doctor, Kernel Panics

Post by mikehalloran »

Those trying use Roxio's Spin Doctor in OS 10.5 and later have had difficulties. A large number of conflicts keep it from working correctly including many installed VSTs.

Here's something new. I have been getting kernel panics. These started Monday last week after I updated a number of things including the OS 10.8.2 supplemental update, printer drivers and Toast 11.1 Supplemental Update. On Thursday, I went back a week with Time Machine and everything was fine, ran the updates one at a time, had no problems...

Last night, I ran the Toast 11.1 Supplemental update and the problems began again. But it wasn't Toast.

The first time you run Spin Doctor, it asks to install SDX Audio Capture Driver. This installs an extension called Terminus.kext. Since I had used SD in the past, the .kext was already installed and the Roxio updater installed a new version. According to Apple Support, Terminus.kext was the culprit.

You will find it in System/Library/Extensions. I trashed it and the problem went away. When I clicked on Spin Doctor again, it asked to install SDX Audio Capture Driver - I let it just to verify the problem then trashed the file again.

Now I can finally install DP 8 and begin testing. This was driving me nuts.

Toast, BTW, does not use this driver nor will it install unless you are firing up Spin Doctor (which hasn't worked properly in years, now).

If this saves anyone grief, it's worth the time spent.

Oh, I forgot. I was also having problems with my Magic Trackpad and wondered if it was the problem. It would stop working before the kernel panic and would cut out intermittently at other times. It is again working properly. I don't know if Terminus.kext was also the problem or a coincidence but I'm watching to see what happens.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro