New Macbook Pro

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New Macbook Pro

Post by stubbsonic »

It's a weird paradox. On one hand, when the evolution of tech causes some obsolescence of gear, it spurs new purchases. But, for some, it has the opposite effect-- i.e., some (like me) might either postpone a new computer purchase because of incompatibility with legacy gear.

Both my old laptop and my G5 died and needed repair and replacement respectively.

I also remember the anguish when I made the leap from OS 9 to OS X. Of course, at that time it was all about software. Wasn't painless, but worked out far better than expected.

I can imagine that as ports evolve, there is a huge challenge with backward compatibility. And if there is some vastly compelling reason to abandon (or compromise) backward compatibility, they would have to weigh that against future gains.

Which is why HCMarkus's point about the current Mac Pro is a good one. It does seem like a good compromise of performance and compatibility.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

If we wait until the real "new" Mac Pro is released, there will probably be a lot of great stuff available in the used market at better prices. But how much work can one accomplish with an upgrade in the interim? While my quad PPC works great, I spend more time on work arounds when using VI's, and that ain't a free lunch.

The value proposition offered by DP on (Windows) PC is certainly intriguing, much as I know and love the Mac OS (which I have been using since 1984). In my studio, DP is what I run. If it supports DP, I don't much care what the OS is. And there are plenty of folks willing to build a PC that runs Mac OS; I've already found two here in San Diego.

But that Apple hardware is so gosh darn beautiful and solid. I love the idea having a tank (Mac Pro) in my machine room.

About a week ago, Shooshie wrote he had heard from a bird DP8 was three weeks out. I saw a post from Magic Dave on the cool new amp sims. Things are heating up in MOTUland. Methinks I can wait a couple more weeks. See how the early reports on on the PC. Get the bill from the car motor sorted out. Then make a decision.
rhythm_kitchen

Post by rhythm_kitchen »

There's always a Catch 22.

But when Mountain Lion is pre-installed w/ updated firmware, will it be possible to revert to Lion? Probably not.

And then will W-7 run native or virtual? Still no word on whether 3rd party AUs will be sandboxed in Mountain Lion?
Last edited by rhythm_kitchen on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhythm_kitchen

Post by rhythm_kitchen »

FWIW,

The $19 Apple TB to Firewire adapter has almost no chance of hosting your Firewire Audio interface. Thunderbolt incorporates hardware security and reverts a direct Firewire connection to ethernet to prevent DMA hacks.

Many TB to raid enclosures are not performing well either.

The fact that class compliant USB-2 devices on the new MBP will not work is left unexplained (is all USB now isolated from DMA)?

Anyone with a 2012 MBP have wired USB working (like a Logitech Trackman) Wacom tablet or joy stick?
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

rhythm_kitchen wrote:FWIW,
The $19 Apple TB to Firewire adapter has almost no chance of hosting your Firewire Audio interface. Thunderbolt incorporates hardware security and reverts a direct Firewire connection to ethernet to prevent DMA hacks.
We'll I must be bucking the odds. I have a ECHO AudioFire4 that runs fine (though it is no longer able to be bus powered, and requires it's included DC power supply). I also have an RME FF800 which works perfectly.

Perhaps you are exaggerating a little bit? Or universalizing your experience? Or passing on 2nd-hand info?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com