CueMix FX not showing any meters

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

killmoms
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

CueMix FX not showing any meters

Post by killmoms »

I'm still a relative newbie to MOTU products/audio interfaces in general, so bear with me. I've had a MOTU UltraLite mk3 Hybrid for about seven months now. CueMix FX has been great the whole time, until very recently. For some reason now, the "Meters" view doesn't show any activity. None of the channel meters in the mixer show levels, the output meters don't light up… nothing. Yet, on the front display of the device itself, I can see it showing levels there. Is there some checkbox I hit that caused this to not behave? Weird thing is the FFT, Oscilliscope, and the rest still animate just fine.

I did recently upgrade from Snow Leopard (10.6.8) to Lion (10.7.3), but this was a problem in SL before I upgraded, so I don't think Lion did it.
encrust

Re: CueMix FX not showing any meters

Post by encrust »

I have exactly the same problem.
Using Windows 7 64-bit, and a unit bought only yesterday.
Has anyone got a solution?
The front panel LEDs show the signal but not the software panel.
Klaus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Klaus »

Level meters are post fader...

Best

Klaus
sphill201

Post by sphill201 »

Level meters are post fader...
What does that even mean? Can you be more specific?

I just started having this same exact issue, but I don't think its a bug. The meters in CueMix were working fine out of the box, and then I started messing with the master and phones levels on the front panel, and one thing led to another and none of my inputs were producing sound. I found that somehow my channels were muted in CueMix and monitoring was turned on for a few of them, which i don't remember touching at all. This software seems to be really unwieldy the more I start tweaking things...
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

If you your channel faders are down, no signal will be shown on the channels in Cuemix FX

Sorry if I misunderstand

Klaus
sphill201

Post by sphill201 »

Ah, thanks. That's good to know. In my particular case, the meters on the faders in the output tab as well as the meters in the sidebar aren't showing anything (and the faders are up all the way). However, the meter on the front panel of the UltraLite are showing levels, and the meters in my DAW are showing. Any ideas?

Sean
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Have you assigned a physical output to the mix, above the master fader on the right side ?

Klaus
ausman_1
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by ausman_1 »

Did a solution end up being found to this since I'm also having the same problem on my Traveler mk3, where the LED lights on the interface are lighting up but the meters in CueMixFX are not doing anything, even when all inputs are not muted, faders are all up and I can hear through the headphone and main mixing buses fine.
boyfriendacademy

Post by boyfriendacademy »

I had the same problem of meters not showing in the CueMix FX app. The only way I was able to get it fixed was to perform a complete uninstall (and manually deleting some files that the uninstaller skipped), a clean install of latest drivers and software, and a factory reset on the 828mk3. Here is how I fixed it step-by-step for others to try if they are having same problem of meters not showing in the CueMix FX app. This procedure will erase any saved mixer settings on your 828mk3 and any saved mix configurations in your CueMix FX app.

1. Turn off 828mk3 and unplug Firewire cable from computer.

2. Download and run latest MOTU Audio Firewire drivers for OSX installer, but select the Uninstall option.

3. Go into ~/Library/Preferences and /Library/Preferences and delete these files or folders if they exist:
com.motu.firewire.CueMix.console.plist
com.motu.firewire.SMPTE.console.plist
com.motu.FireWireAudio
MOTU FireWire Console.prefs

4. Go into ~/Library/Application Support/MOTU and delete these files or folders if they exist:
CueMix FX

5. Go into /Applications and delete these files if they exist:
MOTU Audio Setup
MOTU CueMix Console
MOTU SMPTE Setup

6. Restart the computer. Leave the 828mk3 off and unplugged.

7. Launch the installer and install the latest MOTU OS X FireWire drivers.

8. Once the installer is complete, restart the computer.

9. With the 828mk3 Firewire still unplugged, turn on 828mk3 and then perform factory reset on 828mk3:
a. Press PARAM button twice.
b. Rotate PARAM dial until you get to "Factory Defaults".
c. Press VALUE button twice.
d. Wait while it reads "Initializing".
e. When it's done initializing, turn off 828mk3.

10. Plug in 828mk3 Firewire cable to computer.

11. Turn on 828mk3 and test out CueMix FX app.

I noticed that the "factory default" settings of CueMix FX on the 828mk3 had some EQ, Dynamics and Reverb turned on by default across some of the channels and master buses, so if you want a completely zero-ed out state, take the time to click through each channel in the CueMix FX app and make sure all the EQ, Dynamics and Reverb power buttons are in the off state. If you do this right, the DSP meter should go down to zero.
-Tony
jfboasen

Post by jfboasen »

I'm also using Windows 7 64 bit. Just bought the 896 mk3 hybrid. I updated the firmware and installed the accompanying software and drivers.

I am connecting the 896 to my computer via USB 2. The computer recognizes it. However, it does not appear able to detect any audio. I'm using Live as my DAW and can set inputs to receive audio from the 896. However, the meters show no activity.

Cuemix FX also shows no input activity in the meters. Moreover, I am unable to adjust any of the faders in the mix tab. Nor can I make adjustments with TouchOSC.

Despite all this, the display on the 896 unit itself lights up properly. Adjustments can be made. And, most importantly audio can be heard through the outputs.

I tried the suggestion in the previous post to no avail. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You might try asking in the Windows threads.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
synthiboy

Post by synthiboy »

Hi,

Just wondering if somebody could sort this one out. Weird thing is that when I connect my 828MK3 hybrid via firewire, the channel meters show nice activity and also route to my DAW. When I connect via USB, no meters, so no direct recording in my DAW possible either. But the inputs do route to the MOTU output, so it seems a USB conflict or setting in windows needed to be taken care of. Running on windows 7 64bit. On my other pc (laptop), also running win7 64 bit, it does work via USB. Breaking my head over it. Actually I was fine with firewire but I bought an extra ultralite and when I daisy chain via firewire I have audio drop outs every 10 seconds, so I was thinking to use both via USB, since USB seems to run more stable, but there I have this no channel input problems :-( Even with only 1 connected, stil, nada. Tried reinstall and all other tips here.
adriano

Post by adriano »

synthiboy wrote:Hi,

Just wondering if somebody could sort this one out. Weird thing is that when I connect my 828MK3 hybrid via firewire, the channel meters show nice activity and also route to my DAW. When I connect via USB, no meters, so no direct recording in my DAW possible either. But the inputs do route to the MOTU output, so it seems a USB conflict or setting in windows needed to be taken care of. Running on windows 7 64bit. On my other pc (laptop), also running win7 64 bit, it does work via USB. Breaking my head over it. Actually I was fine with firewire but I bought an extra ultralite and when I daisy chain via firewire I have audio drop outs every 10 seconds, so I was thinking to use both via USB, since USB seems to run more stable, but there I have this no channel input problems :-( Even with only 1 connected, stil, nada. Tried reinstall and all other tips here.
Hi synthiboy,
If you post in the Windows designated forum, you might get a better and faster response.

Adriano
iMac9,1, 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB-RAM, 10.9.5
DP 8.07, 828MKIII, Keys-Fantom X8, XV-88. Key

SampleTank v2.5.4, Miroslav Philharmonik v1.1.2, SampleMoog v1.02, SampleTron v1.02, Sonik Synth 2 v2.1.1, Independence Pro v3.2.0126, EZDrummer 1.4, MDrummer Large 5.02, Komplete U9, Orchestral Essential 1, Orchestral Essential 2, Complete Orchestral Collection

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
Nick Major

Post by Nick Major »

I had the same problem on Windows 7 with my Hybrid when moving from my old machine to my new machine. The solution for me was to change my BIOS settings for USB... I need to ENABLE legacy USB mode (for a few reasons actually), and ensure that Intel xHCI mode was DISABLED, as was EHCI Handoff. I don't know what these settings may map to in other systems (mine is an Asus motherboard), but this setting not only brings the meters and recording back to life, it also brings my Motu MIDI patch bay back to life and keeps my Logitech wireless devices live for multiboot. Hope this helps someone else, I was close to pulling out a soldering iron, or switching back to Firewire. Thanks for all the posts!
synthiboy

Post by synthiboy »

Hi guys,

Thx Nick for the tip on USB settings in the BIOS. I will test those settings, and I have the same problem with my MOTU MIDI patch bay. Sometimes I need to reconnect it (Microlight). Meanwhile my MOTU was running stable on a dedicated firewirecard (TI chipset), but the USB connection seemed very handy to me so I will try that Legacy USB setting anyway. Thx, cheers.