MIDI Express XT Weirdness

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

davenpom
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI Express XT Weirdness

Post by davenpom »

For some reason, each time I startup my iMac, I have to perform a Rescan in order for any of my MIDI data to pass through my MIDI Express XT (late 90s model) onto the computer. I used a desktop app called MIDI Monitor by Snoiz and saw that the only data comes through on the Sync port when I press keys on my controller (which is actually connected to port #8). After doing a Rescan, data shows up on port #8 as it should and everything is fine. But this has to be done every time I start my computer Here's what I tried so far:

-connect directly to computer bypassing USB hubs
-connect to a different computer
-update driver
-perform factory reset (disastrous results - read on)

None of these helped

Also, there's a problem with Clockworks where the configuration I saved didn't load correctly into the interface. Before performing a factory reset, I saved my configuration in Clockworks. I had to make new connections in AMS, but after testing, the results were still the same. I still had to rescan in order for data to pass through other than the sync port. I then tried to reload my configuration and the interface went berserk. I had to recreate all my configurations all over again from scratch. :banghead:

Has anyone seen this behavior? If so, how did you resolve it?
mikehalloran

Re: MIDI Express XT Weirdness

Post by mikehalloran »

How old is that CR2032 battery? If over 5 years, that could easily be the culprit.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
davenpom

Post by davenpom »

I bought this back in the late 90s and never replaced a battery. I assumed any batteries would be limited to keeping custom settings in the unit's internal memory, but I never had issues with turning the unit on and having my user presets missing. They only disappeared after the factory reset (expected), but the unit wouldn't load the config I saved beforehand.

Could the battery effect the unit's ability to restore its own config file as well as interfere with broadcasting its ports properly when the system boots up?

Thanks for the reply BTW.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

A bad battery is worse than no battery.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
davenpom

Post by davenpom »

mikehalloran wrote:A bad battery is worse than no battery.
I finally opened up my unit and replaced the battery. That helped with loading the configurations, but the issue with having to perform a Rescan is still in the air. At least I can get my configuration properly stored and loaded. Maybe I'll just have to live with the rescanning issue or replace it with another interface.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I would ask MOTU through a TechLink on their web site. I questions about my '90s MicroExpress last year and they got back in a few days.
davenpom

Post by davenpom »

Actually, I did already and they weren't sure what was causing the issue with needing to rescan. That's why I came here :lol: They didn't recommend the battery either, but that turned out to solve at least one problem.