Regular Macbook Pro Crashes in all Applications

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

waitsongs
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Regular Macbook Pro Crashes in all Applications

Post by waitsongs »

Hi All,

My 2011 Macbook Pro (running OS 10.9.5) was working perfectly until 2 weeks ago when I was in the middle of a complicated mix I had to do in Pro Tools rather than DP. (Serves me right for using PT?) Now, every 30-60 minutes, regardless of whether I'm in an application, or just the Finder, the entire computer freezes, and I have to do a hard shutdown and re-start.

There are a number of cases online about this particular Macbook developing Graphics card problems, but all my hardware tests (and those performed by an Apple Genius) say my hardware and memory all check out. I've also eliminated a Genio malware trojan and several corrupt plists, re-installed the OS from online Apple Recovery, repaired permissions, tested and repaired my Crucial system ssd, and attempted to read the crash reports to note any consistencies before the crashes (without much luck).

One big possibility I've discovered is that my version of Pro Tools, 10.3.7, apparently has "known issues" with OS 10.9.x, and will never be declared compatible (although my crashing symptoms aren't listed in their issues list). I've had Pro Tools on the system forever, but it's possible this was the first time I've used it since upgrading from OS 10.9.4 to 10.9.5. In any case, I used it for several days without issue before this problem showed up.

So, with all that explanation, I have a few questions... 1) Might Pro Tools have broken the system somehow, and is there a way to fix what it broke without erasing the drive?, or 2) Since I have a Carbon Copy Cloner clone of the system drive, does it sound like wiping the drive, doing a clean install, and selectively bringing back things from the clone might work to fix the issue? (And, if so, what's the best way to avoid having to re-authorize everything again... Migration Assistant, or just dragging folders from the clone?!). 3) Should I revert to OS 10.9.4, or even Mountain Lion, since that's the last OS Pro Tools 10 is approved with?

One last thing... I don't see memory spikes before the crashes, but it's possible there's a CPU spike each time.... I just haven't figured out how to pinpoint exactly when the CPU spike I'm seeing in Activity Monitor happens in relation to the crash.

If any of this rings any bells for anyone and you might know a solution, please let me know.

Thanks!
DP 8.06, OS X 10.8.3, 8 core 2.8gHz MacPro, 14 GB ram, 32 Lives and JBridge, UAD-2 Quad Satellite, 828mk3, Apogee AD-16X, Trak2 and Rosetta, Eleven Rack, EWQL Gold Pro, Colossus, Goliath, Ethno World 4, StormDrum2, Komplete 8, LASS, MX4, Soundtoys Bundle, Stillwell plugs, Ozone 5, Slate Bundle, Trash, Waves C6, H-EQ, Autotune, Abbey Road plugs, Pro Tools 10, Logic 9, Reason 6.5, Final Cut Pro, lots of mic pre's, mics, instruments....
mikehalloran

Re: Regular Macbook Pro Crashes in all Applications

Post by mikehalloran »

I've also eliminated a Genio malware trojan
Are you certain?
and attempted to read the crash reports to note any consistencies before the crashes (without much luck).
You have to find someone who can read those crash reports. Apple Support is your best bet. They can log into your system and read the report if need be.
Since I have a Carbon Copy Cloner clone of the system drive, does it sound like wiping the drive, doing a clean install, and selectively bringing back things from the clone might work to fix the issue?
Does that clone predate the problem? If so, then maybe.

Why aren't you doing a restore from Time Machine using a backup that predates the problem?
(And, if so, what's the best way to avoid having to re-authorize everything again...
It depends on the authorizations. Even Time Machine has that issue. Here's an overview:

Serial number / CD authorizations (DP) may need to be redone the way you did on installation. Make sure that info is available. QT Pro and DP 8 need the info entered exactly as you registered it. Some will find the license with no need to reauthorize.

iLok authorizations - no issue except that you may have to reinstall the iLok License Manager

Web based authorizations (Finale, FinalDraft, MasterWriter, certain plugins) Deauthorize first or you may be talking to Tech Support to reauthorize (not necessary with DP 8 ).

License file authorizations (PSP, Izotope etc.). Sometimes you have to re-download the file; sometimes not. Hopefully, you've saved the email that linked you to the right files. Some companies let you download those files 5 times before requiring you to contact Support.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
waitsongs

Post by waitsongs »

Thanks Mike!

My CCC clone unfortunately doesn't pre-date the problem, and since I've been cloning drives as backups long before Time Machine existed, I just never got into using TM. I guess I should start!

I appreciate the specific information on which authorizations I might need, and it tells me there probably won't be any shortcuts in this process. I'm still resisting the idea that my system could suddenly get to the point of no return, since I've had such good luck over the years keeping that from happening. Add to that, the confusion of people online saying hardware and memory tests may not really tell you if there's a problem, and I just haven't known the next course of action to take. My first instinct from the symptoms was failing memory, but I didn't want to spend money replacing it if I didn't need to. So now, I'm looking at the time consuming process of wiping, re-installing, re-authorizing, and testing again, all without knowing if it will really fix the problem. I can't believe there isn't a program that looks at a system and tells you where potential conflicts might be. (Or maybe there is and I haven't found it yet?).

Anyway, I'll stop venting, and instead begin the slog of system replacement and see where I end up. Btw, on the Genio malware, I used ClamAV to find it, then trashed it, but perhaps that's not enough? Subsequent scans have said I'm "malware-free"....
DP 8.06, OS X 10.8.3, 8 core 2.8gHz MacPro, 14 GB ram, 32 Lives and JBridge, UAD-2 Quad Satellite, 828mk3, Apogee AD-16X, Trak2 and Rosetta, Eleven Rack, EWQL Gold Pro, Colossus, Goliath, Ethno World 4, StormDrum2, Komplete 8, LASS, MX4, Soundtoys Bundle, Stillwell plugs, Ozone 5, Slate Bundle, Trash, Waves C6, H-EQ, Autotune, Abbey Road plugs, Pro Tools 10, Logic 9, Reason 6.5, Final Cut Pro, lots of mic pre's, mics, instruments....
billf

Post by billf »

waitsongs wrote:Btw, on the Genio malware, I used ClamAV to find it, then trashed it, but perhaps that's not enough? Subsequent scans have said I'm "malware-free"....
The Genio adware was being distributed through Softonic installers per Intego, and as shown in their write up there are a number of deep system files it affected. So it's possible that something essential in OS is still messed up or was accidentally trashed.

So, you might still have some malware on your machine or it still could be a hardware issue. The best course of action I would take if it were me would be to install a clean OSX, reinstall essential apps (stay away from Softonic installers just to be safe), and try that out. If it is stable, then you know it is a software issue. However if it still crashes, then it is likely that hardware is the culprit.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
waitsongs

Post by waitsongs »

Thanks billf for that information too. I'm going to report the following just in case someone else ends up in this frustrating situation that I may be close to figuring out....

I got a sinking feeling in my stomach when I read the article you linked to, because I knew I'd only done 4 things before the crashes started happening: downloaded Dynamic Spectrum Mapper, upgraded to OS 10.9.5, used Pro Tools more than usual, and clicked on a Flash update notification... I got so busy worrying about the first 3, that I forgot about #4, and clearly, that's where I got the Genio malware. I've now used Intego to root that out of my system (it trashed A LOT of files), so I feel better about that.

However, my problem didn't change, which led me to what I believe is the issue: apparently early Crucial ssd's (like my system drive) have a bug in the firmware that makes them start crashing every hour after they reach a certain threshold of total hours used. Isn't that great?!!! :smash: The three possible fixes are... upgrading the firmware, although, that may cause additional problems on my particular Macbook, starting up with the option key held down, and letting the computer sit for a number of hours in whatever special mode that puts the Mac into (which apparently "trims" the wasted sectors on the ssd), or adding the Trim function to the ssd either through Terminal, or with a program called "Trim Enabler". I did the latter, and so far, so good. I've been booted up for more than an hour and haven't crashed yet! I'll revise this if I continue having problems, but otherwise, I believe that's the solution to this bizarre situation I found myself in.

Thanks to both you and Mike for useful suggestions that ultimately helped me narrow the focus on my bug hunt!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

What a friggin' nightmare!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
waitsongs

Post by waitsongs »

Yes, definitely a nightmare, which didn't quite end after my last post... I still had a few odd crashes, so I ended up upgrading the ssd firmware after all, and all seems normal again. As is often the case, the actual fixes were relatively easy, but figuring out what needed to be fixed was the hard part. I'm always amazed how someone like an Apple Genius, who MUST have seen cases similar to mine in the past, didn't even think to suggest it might be an ssd issue. Then again, maybe they're just not allowed to comment on any 3rd party add-ons in whatever computer they're looking at. I'm just thankful I have this forum and google to REALLY figure things out!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I agree. Google and MN are my "go to" sites. Sometimes the MakeMusic user forum and Apple Discussions can also be informative, even for general questions.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Just in case: Some random crashes (grey screen) in Mavericks seem to not happen any more since in Yosemite...
AFAICT, virtual memory is a different thing in Yosemite.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...