Mac Projects to Windows Projects compatibility query

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Timeline
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mac Projects to Windows Projects compatibility query

Post by Timeline »

Did MOTU create a conversion bridge form mac to windows/windows to mac yet or are they compatible as they are?
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
bayswater

Re: Mac Projects to Windows Projects compatibility query

Post by bayswater »

I did a 30 day DP Windows trial and the few projects I opened from the Mac version looked fine. I expect there could be issues with 3rd party plugins and other things like presets etc that aren't saved with the project.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Oh sure that makes sense. Because third party plugs are on keys or hard drives. One thing waves did that seems smart is allow authorizations to be moved to cloud. will give it a try.

I'm experimenting with the new 9.51 W/version for a possible move to PC in future rather than pay 12 grand for a new Apple desktop which would break me, rather build a 5K 16 core in Windows 10 and be able to upgrade CPUs in the future.
Last edited by Timeline on Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I'm looking at Windows for the same reason. I haven't come across any of the much rumoured "twice the performance for half the cost" deals yet, but keeping an open eye.

I think I was able to just move my Waves and elicenser USB keys over to the PC. I might not be remembering that correctly.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

I had a hard time just finding the preference select, at the bottom of the file menu I think. Anyway its cool that it works.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Timeline wrote: Anyway its cool that it works.
Yes, I thought it worked fine. Once you're into a project, it's not apparent which operating system you are in. I see a lot of Windows users here reporting issues, but I didn't see anything unusual.
toddbooster
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by toddbooster »

The Windows version seems to have a few Windows specific issues, which one may only notice if they're a regular Windows user. The project window won't remember it's size and position, unlike other Windows programs, in order to replicate Mac shortcuts using the Command key, DP locks the Windows key for its own use when in session, which is a hassle if you're used to using it to open the Start menu for instance, it doesn't support VST3, which means the VST2 versions of some plugins won't have all of the functionality of the AU version (not being able to sidechain to Vocal Rider is the biggest pain point for me so far), and in general the look and feel, especially font rendering, is not as nice on Windows as the Mac version is. Also, asking for Windows help here can sometimes just result in crickets and or tumbleweed blowing by as I don't think that many people are using it so far. All that said though, it's been very stable and the performance is pretty great really, and I've certainly enjoyed working with it, despite the few kinks I've run into.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB, Windows 10 Pro, DP 10.13, MOTU Ultralite AVB.
toddbooster
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by toddbooster »

Oh, and I don't know if it's relevant, but Slate Digital officially supports the Mac version of DP, but not the Windows version, and the VST scanner will complain about your Slate plugins crashing the examination process. However in my experience, they seem to work just fine anyway.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB, Windows 10 Pro, DP 10.13, MOTU Ultralite AVB.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Thanks!