editing tools working differently

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
SingingRabbit
Primary DAW OS: Windows

editing tools working differently

Post by SingingRabbit »

Right now I mainly use DP to digitize and clean up my old LPs. I walked away from my computer leaving a project open for over an hour. When I returned and deleted a portion of an audio track, the two remaining halves came together eliminating the gap. When I selected the portion on the right to drag it and establish a small gap, it didn't separate them, but moved the audio within the selection. How do I return to normal functioning?
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: editing tools working differently

Post by bayswater »

Looks like you’re using the slip or slide tool rather than the regular selection tool. Tap “A” twice to make sure you have the right tools then try it again.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
SingingRabbit

Post by SingingRabbit »

Thanks. Tried taping 'a' twice, couldn't tell a difference. Tried 'Shift a' twice just in case upper or lower case made a difference. Still no change.
The pointer tool is showing as selected, not slip or roll.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bayswater »

Don’t have DP with me now. The action of the select tool depends in part where you click on it when it’s selected. Maybe try zooming out and select by dragging the mouse over it. What do the Info Windows say is selected? Or the Event Window?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
SingingRabbit

Post by SingingRabbit »

the pointer tool is the only one showing as selected.
I suspect that somehow a default setting got changed. The problem with the rolling/sliding and closing of the gap with deleted spaces only happens in the project where the problem originally appeared. When opening a new or previously created project, the delete functions normally as does moving a selection. However, all projects, new or previously created, the project view no longer follows the playback wiper, ie, when playing back a project the wiper will scroll off screen.
I took some screen shots to illustrate what I'm talking about before finding out this forum doesn't allow pictures without special permission
SingingRabbit

Post by SingingRabbit »

Problems solved! Met with a friend who had introduced me to DP.
Editing/sliding problem was because I had inadvertently overlaid two tracks.
Problem with the scroll was solved by going to the drop down menu for view and clicking the autoscroll option to make sure the settings were where they needed to be